Menu

Completely OT Vent: LuLaRoe stuff is hideous

StephanieZ

I have a neighbor who happens to be a MLM marketer for BeachBody. She's a professional woman, a young mom, and got into BeachBody and started marketing it via her Facebook presence. I don't mind that too much, although I have zero interest in buying that stuff and can't get why people with good jobs are going to blow their limited free time selling crap when they have a sweet baby at home and already whine about not having enough time with said sweet baby. ANYWAY . . .

I think because she is a multi-level-marketer herself, she is inspired to cross-promote her friends' MLM crap. She invited me to some LuLaRoe house party that I nicely declined and she's constantly posting pics of herself exercising in her latest LuLaRoe leggings. . . 

I'm ordinarily very non-judgy when it comes to clothes. I am not a fashionista, and I really don't usually care what anyone else wants to wear. 

BUT, I just wish I could tell her to stop putting those hideous things on her beautiful body! She's super fit, trim, and although she says she wants to lose a few more pounds, she's really already super fit and slim. But, those damn leggings make her look dumpy. CRAZY! Each and every pair is more hideous than the last. 

I just finally had enough and googled "lularoe hideous" and ended up at their catalog. What a frightening catalog of ugly clothing. The leggings are better than most of the rest of that ugly stuff.

This MLM sales tactic stuff is crazy that apparently a bunch of folks can make real $$ getting perfectly sane women to overpay for such ugly clothes. It just feels like such a MLM scam to me.

I apologize in advance for insulting LuLaRoe aficionados. I tried to warn you away from this thread with my title. :) 

• Like 4

I am kind of big, and was delighted to find exercise leggings that fit me really well and seem to breathe a bit but don't lose their shape.  They are by Zella, and I recommend them.  They are really flattering, slim looking, no bulk, don't slip down, credible as 'pants' with a tunic, and very very opaque.

• Like 1

I was just invited to a party on FB...it's so much easier to turn these things down when I'm not at a friends house, eating chips & dip in her living room.   :lol:   I think some things are cute and some are pretty gaudy.  I saw some black leggings that I wouldn't mind wearing in the privacy of my own home.  However, I'd be afraid to spend that much money on something I knew looked good on me, let alone on something I'd never tried on or seen in person.  

I think they're horrid looking, and am glad to know I'm not alone. I have a friend who loves them and is always having parties. People are all over her facebook page talking about how much they love them. I just quietly decline the party invitation and think  :confused1:

• Like 2

Evidently it's a Mormon company. I was perusing their site (to see just HOW hideous it was lol) and came across the white Temple Dress. This has to be LDS, I thought. Yup. I would have loved to have found these clothes back in my IBLP days with all those skirts, except some of the colors are a bit too wild.

I can see, I think, what they are going for - clothes that are fun and pretty and comfortable and flattering on normal, mature body types.

But in practice a lot of the outfits look kind of dowdy.

And the patterned leggings thing is not something that is very easy to carry off.  I have a pair of slightly wild skinny jeans with a pattern that I bought for summer, thinking they would be fun and kind of a lift.  But it is actually tricky to put them together in an outfit - it is just a lot of pattern, and even if its balanced with a plain shirt, it seems to make my legs stand out and the rest of me disappear.

It reminds me a bit of the April Cornell line - they have these lovely fabrics, and the concepts seem great, very romantic or a bit boho.  But when they are on many of the clothes just seem inadequately tailored and make most women look pregnant.

• Like 1

I have one pair of Zella patterned leggings.  They are great.  The pattern is bold and zig zaggy, but it's dark green and black so it doesn't pop like a bright one would.  I love to wear these with a long black tshirt I have that has a muted red design on it.  Since I'm a geek, the design is a Ren Faire one, with the slogan, "One Faire To Rule Them All".  They also go great with an ombre light on top to dark toward the bottom long sleeved sweater in greens that I have--this is an extremely comfortable outfit for driving long distances. 

Zella also has some intriguing patterned leggings that have burn out triangles here and there.  So far I have deemed them too bold for me, even though they are in dark colors, but honestly they look good on, and I'm quite overweight.  It is really intriguing to me to be able to look halfway decent in exercise clothes--I haven't felt that way in years.

I tend to be a very cautious user of patterns, and this is a nice way for me to branch out of that a bit.

Having said that, all black is still my legging pattern of choice, LOL.

• Like 1

I think lularoe has a $5000 start up cost too.

Not only that, the consultants can only pick size and style- not pattern. They are stuck with whatever LLR sends them. I had an online party to help a friend. I only saw two patterns I liked and they weren't in my size.
  • Like 2

Eh, well I'm not a printed legging type of gal, so I would not buy or wear them. I had not heard of this MLM brand before though.

Yeah, I would never wear printed leggings. Even in high school when I was skinny, I knew that printed leggings DID NOT look good on me.

I did just buy dd a pair of geometric print leggings but she's 12 and weighs just under 80lbs.

• Like 2

I like the dresses, but don't care for the leggings. I guess it's nice to have somewhere to put a pattern if you prefer a solid top, but I don't care for those particular patterns.  I'm not sure what a temple dress is.  Mormon thing would be my best guess?

• Like 2

Wow- A $5k investment is a lot. A friend is a LLR rep...or whatever they call themselves and when she started she mentioned what a huge decision it was. I kind of rolled my eyes at that thinking it was like so many other MLMs that have a low start up cost. She wasn't kidding- a 5K investment is not something to take lightly!

Having said that, most of her customers are in their 20's or 30's. I'm definitely not in that age range and I'm way too conservative to wear those bright prints. I could stand to loosen up my style but maybe not  LLR wild. 

I don't have much of an issue with the clothes. I don't like them, but I'm sure others do. I don't like clothing companies that call themselves 'a movement'. 

The fight against human trafficking is a movement. Designer leggings are not. 

What movement are they claiming?  I'm not sure Single Mom Earns a Living is a movement, but I only skimmed the site so I may have missed the bigger picture.

What movement are they claiming?  I'm not sure Single Mom Earns a Living is a movement, but I only skimmed the site so I may have missed the bigger picture.

I suppose it's about women being empowered by making money selling their clothes. Here's what the site says:

LuLaRoe invites and encourages you to “Join the Movement,†to take back control of your time and your life

Meh.  They're not bad, but Idk if I'd like the stuff in person or on me or not.  I'm one of those 'have to try it on and decide if I love it' people.

But the pattern doesn't put me off on its own, when I see it in pictures.  The little girl stuff is cute.  Wouldn't buy from them, for sure, though.  :P

• 6 months later...

These are the most hideous clothes I had ever seen...and is a total scam!!! Our daughter-in-law has been wanting to start a part time business...and called us so excited when she became Lularoe consultant. I had never heard of them so I looked it up. I could not believe my eyes. I am into fashion....and these are the ugliest clothes I'd ever seen. So come to find out she did spend $5000...and that did not include the racks...table...awning and other accessories she bought...she sells at a school swap meet....well tries to sell lol...I feel horrible because she keeps asking me to parties and wants me to have a party. I just could not do that to my friends! There is no way they would buy that junk. I tried too find one piece I liked...but nothing...I'm going to have to buy something of I will hurt her feelings. I just feel horrible that she got sucked in...they don't have that kind of money. I know her friends bought stuff out of guilt...but now she's not selling much. There is a very small...and I mean small group of people that would wear these ugly clothes. I wish I could just tell her to give up on this...but I just don't have the heart...she's so excited and loves the clothes...and I just can't figure out why. Lol

I think they're horrid looking, and am glad to know I'm not alone. I have a friend who loves them and is always having parties. People are all over her facebook page talking about how much they love them. I just quietly decline the party invitation and think  :confused1:

Ditto! I'm guilty of living in yoga pants but those LuLaRoe patterns are hideous! :ack2:

• Like 1

My friend had a Facebook sale. I managed to get one of the few pairs of solid color somewhat dark leggings. I hate the patterns, but the leggings are so soft and comfy. I got a tunic that also is solid. Last winter I wore them around the house when I was home from work. Just like jammies, except I could open the front door or go somewhere last minute and still be dressed. My ds with disabilities is taking a yoga class with parent assistance/participation. Guess what I'm going to wear to his class.

Those are the only two things I've bought. I hear people talk about the "unicorn" prints. I think the solids are the desirable "unicorns".

I think the leggings are gross but the other clothes are cute. HOWEVER, all I ever see in pictures & ads are the ugly leggings! I had no idea they sold anything OTHER than the printed leggings until I read this thread. (I realize this is a zombie thread, but it's legging season and SO MANY PEOPLE are pushing this now.)

Edited by SproutMamaK

LOL I think I will buy one of those dresses to embarrass my kids.  :P

I am NOT a fashion queen, but at least my dowdiness is cheap.

I get the point that women of all sizes and shapes need clothes.  But they need to find some better designers.

• Like 1

I know this is a zombie thread but I had to google to see these "hideous" clothes. Idk, guys, I think they are cute?!?

http://www.themommybeautyblog.com/2015/12/lularoe-review.html

THOSE are cute. What I see a lot of my friends wearing is not. I would totally wear that black dress on your link. Most of what I see is a lot of old fashioned (and not in a good way) prints. They make my friends look more filled out than they actually are. I'm a festively plump Mama and I know what looks good on me and what doesn't. There's no way I could pull off 95% of the Lularoe offerings without making myself look bigger. There are lots of other options out there for comfy clothing, IMO.

I think they have toned their clothes down a bit. I looked at the website when this thread came up originally. It was all bold, bright prints. When I looked again last night, I noticed there were solid colored pieces. I actually think some of the new stuff is cute but I don't wear leggings or dresses so still not my thing.

My fashion sense is awful, admittedly, but I went to the site and liked what I saw.  :001_rolleyes:  I have a terrible time finding shirts that strike the right balance between spilling the books right out the top vs. strangling me with a tight, high neck, and these look like they would work for me. I don't really dig the sunflower patterns and such, but the solids and stripes seem nice. 

Since the thread started I have bought some of the leggings, and wow, they are SO comfortable.  Soft and buttery, unbelievably soft, and the waistband is not tight-feeling but it stays up really well (how do they do that?).  They do have a lot of solid colors in the leggings.  They aren't 'trimming' though--you see every bulge and panty line through them, so they 'aren't pants'.  But wow, they are so amazingly comfortable.  I'm still working out what to wear on top.  A long tshirt makes me look a bit more Peter Panish than I'm really comfortable with, and I don't like those sack dresses on me.  So far, the best look has been a long, slim T with a knee length cardi or long vest.  The tunics I have work with my Zella black leggings because those 'are pants', but they are not nearly as comfortable as my LLR leggings, but the tunics aren't really long enough for the LLRs.

• Like 1

I know this is a zombie thread but I had to google to see these "hideous" clothes. Idk, guys, I think they are cute?!?

http://www.themommybeautyblog.com/2015/12/lularoe-review.html

Some of those are cute - completely age inappropriate for me, but cute for those who can wear them. I've only seen some leggings and the ones I saw were hideous. I also read something about how you don't get to choose your patterns (or solids, which are apparently quite hard to get). The LuLaRoe salesperson gets what she gets and doesn't know in advance of a party what she'll have available. It just rubs me the wrong way to think you should be super happy about not being able to get the colors/patterns you want. Oh, it's a surprise! No, it's not.

The comfort factor and ability to just fold the clothes up and pack them without fear of wrinkles reminds me of a line in the 80s (or maybe the 90s, I don't remember). I think it was called Weekenders or something like that. All the clothes were made of some comfy cotton blend and could be rolled up and tossed in a suitcase without worrying about wrinkles. The styles supposedly went from office to dinner out by just adding or removing a few accessories. 

• Like 1

I know this is an old thread but I have been seeing them more and have a couple of friends who rave about how soft they are. It seems like lots of people talk about them now. I think most patterns are really ugly but there are some that are cute out there. I like the bigger animal prints and the space ones I saw on an image search. I bet my girls would love them but I am guessing they are way to expensive and I do not like how tight they are. I like to get them the more looser leggings you can wear as pants. Most of the tops they have now are just regular shirts so I do not like the tight ones. I know some people even get them for boys. I am not sure I would like them for myself because I prefer looser clothes.