Menu

Would you go to a Convention if you're broke?

SandraDumas

We are very tight this year. (hoping to be debt free by two years though!!). Here in SOuth Florida, there is a small convention that's free. My dear friends from church are all going. The speakers are pretty interesting though it seems to have more of an unschooling "flavor" if you read the workshop titles.

We are totally broke and have been buying gift certificates all year towards our curriculum choice. There's pretty much no way I could buy anything--maybe a few dollar priced art supplies or paper.

Miller pads and paper will be there.

Should I go?

If you think any of the speakers have something to offer, I'd say go. We've never been to a convention, but I'd love to go sometime. It's never worked well for us as the ones around here are always during the time of year when dh has to work Saturdays. It's not easy finding people who will watch the kids. But someday I want to go to one and meet more WTMers there.

If the speakers sounded interesting to me, I think I'd go. I would have to leave my checkbook, credit card or whatever at home to help avoid temptation. I would take notes of any books that looked interesting so if I had a chance in the future to purchase something, I'd know what interested me.

Plus, I always have fun helping my friends spend their money! LOL :D

I would go to a free convention simply to peruse the curriculum and ask questions. A couple of times, I thought that I had decided what to use for the year based on the online samples; but when I took the time at the convention to actually look through the book, I realized it wouldn't work for us. Take a notebook, leave your money at home, and just go to look and learn. It's definitely worth it. Oh and free speakers sounds wonderful. I'd definitely pick a couple lectures to attend. I can often find something helpful in listening to what others have to say about how they homeschool even if their style if different from mine.

I agree with what most of the others have said.

If you think that you'll benefit from attending the workshops, then go for it!

And if you can set aside even 15 or 20 bucks to take with you, you could stock up on tons of good stuff at Miller. Just be sure to make a list ahead of time of things that you truly need. Then take only the small amount that you can afford to spend. free-happy-smileys-195.gif

However, it's free and close. Yes, go and check out curriculum IRL. That would be worth it alone without good speakers. All our conventions cost money and I must travel, more money there. I'm in your cash situation so I can't go, but man you've got it right there for free. GO!!! Yes, only take cash you can actually spend and leave the rest at home. Have FUN!!!:D

I've been homeschooling awhile, and I find that I pretty much know my way around these days. With so many vendors providing online samples, Internet provides most of what I need. I'm also one that doesn't like Saturdays away, but my kids are older and even one day away sets me back in terms of getting my chores done, especially yardwork in the summer.

I do have certain speakers though that I might go to hear if it was free :).

Since it's free, I would go. It's a good idea to look at curriculum up close. You may decide that something you thought sounded good, but couldn't afford is either (1) not a good fit for your homeschool or (2) it didn't look like it sounded at all. In addition, if you do see something that you think would work, you could save up for it, or you might even watch for a good deal on-line. I found a great deal this month on the Sale & Swap board. It was a supplemental item I definitely couldn't afford full price, and even the on-sale it was questionable. I found it in mint condition on the S&S board at a terrific price.

Sandra, Is there any company you might be able to help rep for? It's one way to get some spending $$ and get into a good convention. I probably wouldn't go to any EXPENSE to go to this unschooling convention, since it doesn't sound like it's your style. Remember you could get audio cd's of sessions from really great speakers at another convention or directly from PeaceHill Press. VP puts downloads of their ENTIRE history of conferences on sale for like $50 for all the years, and some of those sessions are fabulous. SWB's sessions through PHP would be much less. I'd do that and get charged by one or two really good ones if it's going to cost you $30-50 for something that won't be like-minded. But you know, I don't like to be totally undertorn when I've already found my way and comfort zone, kwim?

I love the time with my friends, and the speakers help motivate me - even if I disagree. It helps me think through what my hs values are. I take a notebook and make notes on the different things I see that I may be interested in - pros and cons. Then I pray for provision for the things I feel would really benefit our hs. Some things I have received as loans or purchased used, some things I have been able to purchase in a year or two, and some things I've been able to do without (imagine that). The first year was hardest, because I really fought self-pity as I watched my friends purchase all their stuff for the year; but I finally realized that this was good self-discipline for me - and fun as well. Hope this helps. Kathy

I'd go...and I have gone when I was so broke I wasn't sure where lunch was coming from! For me, there's just something very energizing about being with a large group of homeschoolers--people who also see homeschooling as "normal" rather than "weird." I think you'd benefit from hearing the speakers and having the opportunity to see curriculum (even if you're not purchasing any).