Menu

Home Art Studio Questions

Rockhopper

I'm ordering several levels of home art studio. But I'm planning on gathering up as many of the supplies at home as I can, and then filling in the gaps.

The supply list includes 12 by 18" construction paper, and white sculpey clay.

Is the 12x18 size *really* necessary for the activities? Or could I make 9x12" sheets work? Maybe tape them together? Also could I substitute Crayolas modeling magic for the sculpey?

(These are for levels K, 1st and 5th.)

I am in the middle of K.  I think regular sized construction paper is fine.  The larger one makes for a nicer, bigger scenery.  I don't know about the clay.

FYI, I got the paint that was recommended. and I'm not sure if that comes out in the wash.  Crayola paint is fine. 

We have enjoyed HAS this year.  :) 

I've used the regular construction paper size, although some of the projects a larger sheet does make sense (still I just use the smaller paper since that's what we have on hand and its easier for me to display then).  I also just bought the tempera paint at hobby lobby because of price, it washes out of clothing and mine are on the younger end (I have Pre-k - 3rd doing it).  I can notice the difference in quality in paint of which she uses and what we use.  Hers will get a better coverage, whereas ours is not as thick I guess you'd say.  But for our elementary art, I'm more than okay with that.  I'm not sure we've done any of the clay projects yet, so I can't comment on that, but if its just modeling clay, I've found that they sell a 5 lbs package at hobby lobby and its less expensive than the crayola.  We love doing HomeArt Studio.  Its my kids favorite part of the week!

ETA- I saw the grade levels you have...not sure if you were going to do all kids together or separate, but I've found that all my kids- Pre-k through 3rd have enjoyed working on all the projects.  Right now we are in the 2nd grade one with all the kids.  They just work on them according to their ability.

Edited by Clmegancm
  • Like 3

Thank you, desertflower and Clmegancm.

I think we'll go for the washable paint, lol --  thank you in advance for that tip!

I know my little one would love the big paper, but the smaller sheets are easier to store, so I'll keep thinking about that...

Edited by Rockhopper
  • Like 1

I like Home Art Studio a lot but I've been adapting the instructions to what's more affordable and reasonable for us. I think regular construction paper is absolutely fine. I actually tend to take whatever size she recommends and cut it in half so I only have to use 2 pieces of paper instead of 4. I have 4 kids and most of them don't care about art and we didn't need extra large papers to practice our projects. 

We use HAS. Personally I like having the large paper. They make good use of the space. But I have a very artsy kid who wants to get the most out of it and wants it to look as much like Ms. V's as possible. For this reason we also use the paint she recommends. I started out using a cheaper washable, but it looked thin and light compared to what she did and DD was frustrated with it. We use Sculpey, but I haven't worked with the crayola model magic enough to know if it would also work. 

My girls love doing HAS together and DD's friend who is 2.5 years older has done it with us a few times as well. They all enjoy each activity even at 3, 7, & 10. 

We use whatever size paper we have on hand.  You definitely need some thick paper for painting though.  Thin paper curls and isn't as pleasing.  I bought a medium size, heavy-duty paper on sale and we use that for the paint-heavy projects. 

We use the Crayola model magic and love it.  I've also purchased clay from the Dollar store, which was definitely a case of getting what you pay for.  It was difficult to work with and took forever to harden.  But...when it did harden, it was like rock...at which point the project was bumped, fell and broke into a dozen pieces.  LOL