Menu

compelete curriculum

I'm asking for a friend who is looking for a packaged compete curriculum for her granddaughter. The big problem is that the parent is not motivated to make the daughter work and I"m not sure the daughter has the self-motivation to get it done. She's 15 and maybe at an 8th grade level.

I can think of oniine providers for specific subjects (for instance Derek Owens for math), but they are asking for ideas for online accountability as a package deal rather than just individual subjects.

I'd like any recommendations: online, dvd, package or individual subjects. No one really knows where this girl is academicall, though she used to work regularly with a tutor..

I have been really happy with Florida Virtual School, for a situation where my child's motivation and executive functioning were impacted by special needs, and where I was working outside the house full time. I thought the work was well designed and engaging, and appreciated the fact that teachers were always available when he needed help. I also liked that it is CCSS aligned, and accredited, making it easier to convince the PS to accept the credits.

It is not cheap though. $800/credit.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I understand. Do you want prepackaged curriculum or an online program? Those are two very different beasts.

ETA You might want to take a look at the pinned thread at the top of the page that includes many, many outsourcing options. 

Edited by Momto2Ns

Is she staying with the parents or grandparents? For virtual schools whether as a private student or as a public school kid, someone have to help an unmotivated child.

If your friend can make sure work gets completed, than it might be workable. If your friend is not in a position to do so and the parents are not interested in doing so, it could be a mess.

• Like 1

The request for suggestions has come from Dad and Grandparents. The girl lives with mom who is not much help. She has in the past had twice weekly tutoring sessions so this tutor could be the person to oversee the work.

I've told them flatly, that if the girl is not motivated to do work, then nothing is going to work.

They would like some sort of online virtual school that can be loosely overseen by some adult. Hopefully the child will be motivated to do the work. KY homeschoolers can sign up for Florida Virtual School at a significantly reduced price (through the KY schools) so this might be her best option. I am interested in any other options I can pass along.

Is she not motivated, or is she overwhelmed?

I think it's really easy to label a kid as "not motivated" when that kid doesn't have the maturity, and executive functioning to do something as complex as managing their time to complete coursework in multiple classes.  

One thing that really helped my executive functioning impaired kid, when we first started online schooling, was to do one subject at a time.  So, for the first 4 weeks, he just did a science class.  It meant that he never had to prioritize "what do I do next", and he never fell into the trap of switching back and forth so often that he didn't get momentum.  Each day, he simply did the next 1 or 2 or 3 assignments (FL virtual will help you "pace" the assignments, so if you want 3 hours a day, it will chunk it for you), and then he was done.  Once he finished a semester of science, we did 2 classes at a time, and so on.  

• Like 2

The request for suggestions has come from Dad and Grandparents. The girl lives with mom who is not much help.

Double everything I said about there is no curriculum in a box that will solve the problem if it involves a noncustodial parent telling the custodial parent how to homeschool.

Is enrolling in a brick and mortar school an option?

You may want to look at Calvert. They are an all in one with with options to be a part of their online community. I personally haven't used them because it is pricey.

You may also want to look at the online high schools such as American School or even the high school distance program from Texas Tech University. (Don't know how to link).

Good luck!

You may want to look at Calvert. They are an all in one with with options to be a part of their online community. I personally haven't used them because it is pricey.

You may also want to look at the online high schools such as American School or even the high school distance program from Texas Tech University. (Don't know how to link).

Good luck!

Thanks.

Good luck!

One advantage of American School, and maybe Texas Tech over FLVS is that the American School at least will grant a diploma.  I would be hesitant to count on mom to create a transcript that will work for community college, etc . . . if she's not helping in other ways.  

On the other hand, if KY will help pay for FLVS it may be that they'll transfer the credits from FLVS and grant a HS diploma.  I only know that FLVS will only grant you a diploma if you live in FL.