Menu

Transcript moving from public to homeschool mid year

I've searched the forums but haven't found an answer. If your high school student leaves public school midyear, how does your transcript look? Let's just imagine that all of the same subjects taken at public school are then continued at home.

Child A is at a school that is on trimesters. Child A is thinking of returning to homeschooling.  Does it matter if the student leaves at the end of 1st trimester vs. 2nd trimester? 

Child B was at a school that has four quarters in a year. Child B left after the first quarter. When I asked the school for a transcript they said there was no transcript to issue because the student did not remain until the end of second quarter. So child B transcript looks like they were completely home schooled during high school.

I brought mine home just after 1st quarter in his 4 quarter/2 semester public high school. Our transcripts will not reflect his public high school time ... As you said, the school does not issue transcripts for incomplete semesters.

We completed the semester in most of the subjects he was taking in ps. We did not complete French ( switched to Russian) or JROTC (obviously). I did grant a semester of credit for instrumental music for the two quarters he completed -one in marching band, one in symphonic band.

What grades are they?

Dd left partway into 9th, a bit before the end of the 2nd semester.  I'm planning on just pretending she wasn't ever in ps, although I may count work she did in English and History in the course descriptions of her homeschool subjects.    It would be trickier if she'd been in a higher grade, because I would've needed a transcript from the ps for earlier grades which I expect would have included the partial year.

I may also consider giving her credit for the two semester courses she was taking there (Health and Video Game Programming with Scratch) even though she wasn't quite done with them...  if anyone has an opinion on whether I should do this, I'd love to hear...

Child B is simple - for all practical purposes, they were completely homeschooled.  There is no transcript from the school.  So you have only your homeschool transcript, and you can include mention in the course description that one of your resources was (whatever they used in the public school - textbooks, etc).  Or you can not include any mention of the public school, even in your course descriptions.

Child A is harder - you would need to include the public school transcript.  Are the trimesters independent/block scheduled or just breaks in the calendar?  Meaning, at the end of the first trimester, will they have finished certain classes and have grades in those classes?  If so, then you just list those classes as outsourced to the public school, include them on your homeschool transcript, and provide the public school transcript for that trimester, and you're done - you treat it like you would any other outsourced class.

If they aren't block scheduled trimesters, and you don't have finished courses, then it's more grey.  You would still need to include the public school transcript, but if that does not reflect a finished course, you'd need to address that in your homeschool transcript and course descriptions.  Maybe something like "Course: US History, which included studying from ABC history textbook, other homeschooled resources, and 3 months of instruction at XYZ public school".

Hope that helps.  :)

My son started at a private school halfway through 10th grade and left halfway through 11th grade.  I organized his transcript by subject and gave half credits for the courses taken at home and at school during that time.  It seemed to me that his transcript was a mess, but he got into his first choice school anyway, so I guess it worked out ok!

Yeah I added the books he was using in school to his book list where appropriate.

Matryoshka... Maybe assign another health book or some videos (aren't there Crash Course) to finish out the semester and some online scratch work to round out the hours then out them on the transcript. She did the work, right?

Edited by theelfqueen

I may also consider giving her credit for the two semester courses she was taking there (Health and Video Game Programming with Scratch) even though she wasn't quite done with them...  if anyone has an opinion on whether I should do this, I'd love to hear...

I would give her credit.