Menu

ds's weird face 'tick' driving me nuts

OK, so what would you do.

This is not a real facial tick, I don't think, more like a weird habit.

Ds walks around with his bottom jaw stuck out, so his bottom teeth are in front of the top. It just looks silly! And kind of pugnacious! And kind of like he's making faces at people.

It's driving me crazy.

I don't really know what started it though about 6 mos ago the dentist told us while ds was in the room that ds has potentially a slight class 2 bite & suggested we see an ortho. It started soon after & I would not put it past my ds to decide to fix his own bite that way.

I've tried discussing it with him but a) he says he doesn't notice he's doing it; b) he says it makes his jaw feel good & stretched out.

Is he just being a 10 yo boy? Do I worry about this? Do I ignore it? Throw something at him whenever I see him doing it? Blindfold myself so I don't see him doing it?

Call me a mean mom :)

Our dd has a terrible habit of slouching. I even took her to the dr to see if she had some form of scoliosis because it was so bad.

Now when I see her with poor posture (and it is *poor*), I charge her a dollar. It is amazing how she can determine to stand tall after I've made a few dollars.

The reverse is true, too...when she sees me slouch, she gets a dollar from me. :)

Aggie

OK, so what would you do.

This is not a real facial tick, I don't think, more like a weird habit.

Ds walks around with his bottom jaw stuck out, so his bottom teeth are in front of the top. It just looks silly! And kind of pugnacious! And kind of like he's making faces at people.

It's driving me crazy.

I don't really know what started it though about 6 mos ago the dentist told us while ds was in the room that ds has potentially a slight class 2 bite & suggested we see an ortho. It started soon after & I would not put it past my ds to decide to fix his own bite that way.

I've tried discussing it with him but a) he says he doesn't notice he's doing it; b) he says it makes his jaw feel good & stretched out.

Is he just being a 10 yo boy? Do I worry about this? Do I ignore it? Throw something at him whenever I see him doing it? Blindfold myself so I don't see him doing it?

Tough one. I actually involuntarily did the same thing with my own jaw while I was reading and it did feel good. But, yeah, that would make me crazy. I would probably try to ignore it for a while and then one day, out of the blue shout, "Why do you keep doing that weird chin thing? Stop!"

I don't recommend that. :D

Think it will stop if he gets some kind of hardware to fix the bite?