Menu

Writing - something fun?

UCF612

My 3rd grader is 2 lessons away from being done with CAP W and R Fable. I've liked it but he wants to try something new next year so for now we aren't moving straight into Narrative. So I'm looking for a fun writing program we can do to finish out this year. Something that will keep him writing and creating but not a full curriculum. Any ideas? I was considering The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons but want more ideas.

He is a natural writer and enjoys it. I want to foster that and not beat it out of him so fun is a priority.

Edited by UCF612

Have you looked at the NaNo young novelist workbooks? There might be some ideas in there that you could use for writing prompts. They have books for elementary, middle school and high school. [/quote

I haven't, great idea. Thanks. I'll check that out.

• Like 1

Copying an idea I shared in another thread . . . I did this for a 3rd/4th grade kid (I call him reluctant, but it's only hand-writing he's reluctant about, not storytelling - he LOVES storytelling, so I am his willing scribe).

A totally out of the box idea that worked for us (kid currently in 4th grade, boy, reluctant writer): He likes Legos, so I had him design a "wicked cool Lego creation" which I photographed. He wrote a 1-paragraph explanation of the (complex) Lego creation. We revised, edited, and fine-tuned the paragraph, and then I put it into a Shutterfly 8x11 photo book: photo on 1 side, paragraph on the other. In a 20-page book, we did this 10 times (10 good paragraphs - some explanatory, some focusing on 1 character, some comparing / contrasting, but always ONE single paragraph). He loved seeing the book grow (it took us several months), and when it was done, we put a cool title on it and ordered it. PRIZED POSSESSION.

Finishing Writing & Rhetoric now; this kid had also been "encouraged" through 2.5 levels of WWE (for reference).

And he WANTS to do another photo book next year.

• Like 2

Usborne has a Write & Draw Your Own Comics book that my 9 year old is enjoying. It is guided and covers things like plot, character, & setting. There are other books in the series -- Story and Adventure Story.

http://www.amazon.com/Write-Draw-Your-Own-Comics/dp/1409564258/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456372238&sr=8-1&keywords=Write+your+own+comics

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 2