Menu

repeating subjects and transcripts

To me, a homeschool course that wasn't completed satisfactorily wasn't completed, so I would not list it on a transcript until it was completed to my satisfaction. If the course had to be redone in another year, I would list it when it was complete.

An exception would be if the first course would show up on another transcript (e.g. was taken at PS, CC, or from another source that will be providing transcripts to colleges). In that case, I would list it on my transcript, but note that the grade was not included in the GPA since it was retaken for a better grade. (That is common policy in colleges and high schools).

• Like 4

Similar to pp.

I cannot really envision a scenario in a homeschool where a course would have to be repeated - why would one move on during the year when the student is not mastering the material? I can see a course not being finished, like taking two years to complete a standard algebra 1 course; in that case I would give half a credit for each year or give one credit in the year the course is completed - but only if the student is actually passing.

If it is a course from an outside provider (like CC) which the student failed the first time around, I think one would have to list each attempt, so the transcript is in agreement with the transcript from the provider.

OP: can you explain a bit more so we can understand better what exactly you are thinking of?

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Algebra is actually the subject I speak of.  It will take my daughter into net year to complete Algebra 1, even though we started it this year.  She is just not grasping it, so we switched methods and are now over 1/2 year behind.  So we are basically starting back at the beginning right now.  So I didn't know if I should I put the subject in this year or next year's transcript.  And whatever year I don't list it, will it be missed? I mean, will a college look at that and go "why wasn't there math in this year?"

I would assume she will start another math program half way through the year next year. 

I wouldn't worry about how they align yet. I would count 1 credit of algebra one year. However, it doesn't matter if that is 9th or 10th. Wait and see what happens with math in the next 3 years. So for example you might end up with:

9th Algebra 1 1 credit

10th Geometry 1 credit

11th Algebra 2 1 credit

12th Statistics .5 credit

or she might gradually catch up. Geometry often goes well for Algebra strugglers and she might finish that in one semester plus a summer...

9th Algebra 1 credit

10th Geometry 1 credit

11th Algebra 2 1 credit

12th Pre-Calc

or she might start taking classes at the Community College and do math in a semester per class so she does Algebra 2 in the spring of 11th, then College Algebra fall of 12th and Trig spring of 12th.

In other words, there are a lot of potential scenarios. See how it plays out, then list it as it best fits when you can see the end game.

Algebra is actually the subject I speak of.  It will take my daughter into net year to complete Algebra 1, even though we started it this year.  She is just not grasping it, so we switched methods and are now over 1/2 year behind.  So we are basically starting back at the beginning right now.  So I didn't know if I should I put the subject in this year or next year's transcript.  And whatever year I don't list it, will it be missed? I mean, will a college look at that and go "why wasn't there math in this year?"

You could:

• label it Algebra 1A for this year and Algebra 1B for next year
  • list Algebra 1 with a half credit for each of the years
  • label it "Introduction to Algebra 1" for last year and "Algebra 1" for this year.

Either of these will get the message across that she has been working on math, and just took longer than a year to complete the course.

She is not repeating the course; she just works at a slower pace.

Alternatively you could have a transcript by subject instead of by year and this would not be an issue at all.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

I would give her one semester this spring for sure. If she can finish Algebra 1 over the summer and if you don't have to report anything officially at the end of each year, I wouldn't hesitate just putting the whole year of math on this year. Otherwise, go ahead show 1 semester this year and 1 semester next year. 

I would seriously consider keeping her on the math over the summer. If she struggles with Algebra, taking a summer off isn't going to help.

You could:

• label it Algebra 1A for this year and Algebra 1B for next year
  • list Algebra 1 with a half credit for each of the years
  • label it "Introduction to Algebra 1" for last year and "Algebra 1" for this year.
Either of these will get the message across that she has been working on math, and just took longer than a year to complete the course.

She is not repeating the course; she just works at a slower pace.

Alternatively you could have a transcript by subject instead of by year and this would not be an issue at all.

This is how our middle school does it for kids on the "advanced" track: algebra 1A in 7th and 1B in 8th. Our high school offers the same set up for high schoolers who need more time (1A in 9th or 10th, 1B the following year). I don't think it would raise any flags if you used the same system.

This is how our middle school does it for kids on the "advanced" track: algebra 1A in 7th and 1B in 8th. Our high school offers the same set up for high schoolers who need more time (1A in 9th or 10th, 1B the following year). I don't think it would raise any flags if you used the same system.

This is how the school district where my SIL teaches math does it too. Seeing algebra spread across 2 years labeled 1A and 1B has become a standard since Algebra became commonly offered in 7th grade. So many kids aren't ready for it, they have to slow it down. Her district does offer it in 1 year for 7th, 8th or 9th graders - but they are quick to pull kids who aren't doing well in those classes out and move them to the 1A class. They do the same with Algebra 2. 

• Like 1

FWIW, when I was in a ps High School I took Algebra I over two years and it was listed as Algebra 1A for 9th and Algebra 1B for 10th.  I was not given adequate preparation for Algebra and needed the extra time to fill in the gaps.  I agree with upthread, maybe just list what she has done so far as Algebra 1A and whatever year she finishes Algebra I (maybe by December of this year?) then that would be Algebra 1B.  

• Like 2

the problem is that my daughter is a 9th grader this year.  She simply wasn't ready for it before now.   I don't have to report anything to anybody officially...but I need to write up a transcript for college applications.  So I don't have to make a decision now.

I don't think that is a problem at all. While I said that the 1A, 1B thing came about due to rushing kids into algebra before they were ready, it is pervasive now. The schools that offer it (like SIL's) use those classes not only for the kids who start in 7th and can't make it, but for the kids who start in 9th and can't make it.

Does two years of Algebra on a transcript make the high school math sequence look weak? Probably. But if she isn't going into a math heavy field, and/or isn't trying to get into a super competitive school, it won't matter. She can meet the standard college entrance requirement of 3 years of math Algebra 1 and above. You were right to go slow and lay a strong foundation. It will serve her best in the long run. 

I still say don't worry about the transcript until time to make it. You'll have a much better view of the big picture then. 

High school is scary because we feel like there are so many requirements pressing in on us. Don't let them overwhelm you. You are doing a great job of doing what is right for YOUR dd. That is the biggest advantage of homeschooling! You're ok. I promise.