Menu

Dr. Hive--gyno issue

HeWillSoar

Ugh, I hate posting this online but I am dealing with this health issue and I've just kind of brushed it aside because I can't decide what to do.  Please don't quote as I'll probably erase.  I am hoping someone has some personal experience or knowledge to help me make the right decision as the people in my life just don't have this experience. 

I had an internal ultrasound because of pain that comes and goes in my lower left side/hip area.  That has been going on for years (severe and debilitating but not long lasting) and the doctor always kind of brushed it off since the pain didn't last a long time and it didn't happen too often. But it seems that the pain is getting more frequent and is now a low grade aching in that side at times.  The ultrasound caused  more pain on that side that lasted about a week before it calmed down.  It came back as possible adenomyoma because they saw some type of thickening of the uterine muscle.  The not knowing for sure kind of bothers me.   I also have stomach problems, which I've also had for years tiredness, low iron, gluten intolerance, bathroom issues, etc.  Oh, now my periods are coming between every 20-25 days now--used to be every 28 days.  I'm 44 so maybe that's the start of menopause. 

So now I'm trying to decide how I want to proceed.  Dr. says I can either have a biopsy (he's more concerned with the periods than he is the possible adenomyoma) and get a mirena implanted or we can do the laparoscopy  and do the mirena.  The mirena would be to treat  the adenomyoma.  My concern is that what if it's not adenomyoma and something worse.  Dr. doesn't think so. 

WWYD?  What does this sound like to you?

Edited by HeWillSoar

Hmm. I also have pain in that same spot that sounds like yours. I do not have insurance so unfortunately right now I cannot have ultrasounds etc. I tend to have cysts show up on ultrasounds when I am pregnant so I was assuming that is what the pain was. Sorry Im really no help, but I am listening in.

I'm sorry. I would get the biopsy. I get them every year due to family history and while they are not comfortable, the peace of mind is worth it. I am actually just going to get a hysterectomy pretty soon since I am done having kids and it's just an unneeded risk at that point to keep it. My doctor doesn't feel that ultrasounds are very good at diagnosing. I have ovarian cysts that he sends me to a specialty clinic to get a better look at with the blood flow doppler. He also recommends the CA-125 blood test every year to screen for ovarian cancer. I'm glad that he is proactive. It sounds like you would prefer a doctor who is a lot more proactive than yours.

Is the laparoscopy he is proposing to look at the outside of the uterus or the inside?

• Like 2

Hmmm, I am realizing that I not fully understanding some things.  You go in and are told all of this and it's hard to even think of what questions to ask.  I don't think the biopsy would even check for the adenomyoma.  He wanted to do the biopsy because my periods are getting closer together. If he does just that, I don't know if I'll be any clearer on the adenomyoma.  I guess I need to call and find out.   I'm trying to decide on doing just the biopsy or a bigger procedure, which is the laparoscopy, where you are put to sleep and they go in through your stomach.  He can see more that way (endometriosis, etc) than just doing a biopsy but it is a bigger deal than just getting the biopsy.  He also said we should go ahead and take out the fallopian tubes if we do that.  

Thanks for the responses so far.  I feel kind of weird posting all this so I appreciate it.

Edited by HeWillSoar

I'm sorry. I would get the biopsy. I get them every year due to family history and while they are not comfortable, the peace of mind is worth it. I am actually just going to get a hysterectomy pretty soon since I am done having kids and it's just an unneeded risk at that point to keep it. My doctor doesn't feel that ultrasounds are very good at diagnosing. I have ovarian cysts that he sends me to a specialty clinic to get a better look at with the blood flow doppler. He also recommends the CA-125 blood test every year to screen for ovarian cancer. I'm glad that he is proactive. It sounds like you would prefer a doctor who is a lot more proactive than yours.

Is the laparoscopy he is proposing to look at the outside of the uterus or the inside?

To the bolded, I'm not sure. 

You've got a GREAT doctor!

I would definitely investigate all possible avenues, but I also want to share my experience. My mom died from vaginal cancer, so I am understandably freaked out with any kind of pelvic pain. I have had some unsettling pains low down on the right side on and off for years, and have had ultrasounds a few times to investigate, with nothing showing up to explain. The last time, I also saw a massage therapist, who did work on my PSOAS, and the pain disappeared. So, consulting an experienced body worker could be an option for you, as well.

Good luck, and be well!!

Unfortunately, these days, the patient has to be informed and educated in order to ask the right questions. I had to do some in-depth studying in order to even know what all my options were.

I would go for the lap because it will tell you more and give you peace of mind. If you are okay with taking out the tubes (do some research first, it will change your hormones and adrenals) it may be a good way to get two things done in one procedure. If they see anything odd during the lap they can also take a biopsy right there and then.

• Like 1

If by "something worse" you mean cancer, get a biopsy. I don't think laparoscopy will tell you for sure if it's cancer. You need to have them sample the cells to know definitively. Then you can get the Mirena and see if it helps with the adenomyoma.

My understanding is that you can't know for SURE it's adenomyoma unless you have a hysterectomy and then they confirm it. An MRI gets pretty close to confirming it but they are rarely done. (I am on a similar path as you are right now... similar symptoms and suspected issues.)

Thank you all for your advice.  I'm going to call the doctor and see if he can answer my questions over the phone without another consult visit.  You've helped me think of some questions to ask, and just writing it all out has helped too. 

Edited by HeWillSoar