Menu

Italian and Latin

Yes, just as knowing Spanish or French or Romanian or Portuguese would make it easier, as all are descended from Latin so a lot of vicabulary is similar. Knowing an inflected language like German or Russian would also make Latin easier because Latin grammar is heavily inflected.

• Like 1

yes, definitely. Mainly for vocabulary, a little bit for grammar (you will, for example, be familiar with the concept of gendered nouns)

And with every foreign language you know, the next one becomes easier.

Though I found that knowing multiple Indo-European languages was only minimally helpful when it came to learning Japanese; extremely different grammar and scarcity of vocabulary cognates made for a much steeper learning curve.

• Like 1

Yes! I am fluent in italian and could easily have helped DS with Latin, I went through the books. I can help with latin owing to the Italian much much more than I can help with french, it is not even close.

But DS doesn't want to study latin, he wants to study italian and we are waiting a year...

Edited by madteaparty

Excellent! My son attended a local Italian elementary school for years when we lived in Italy, so he is fluent for his age. I was hoping his Italian proficiency would help ease him into his first year of Latin. Thanks for the input. He's excited for next year! 

Yes! I am fluent in italian and could easily have helped DS with Latin, I went through the books. I can help with latin owing to the Italian much much more than I can help with french, it is not even close.

But DS doesn't want to study latin, he wants to study italian and we are waiting a year...

Dd has been asking for Italian too, even using Mango languages, but we would have to drop Arabic. As it is, we're pushing our limits. I so wish she would drop Greek. There, I said it. Landry Academy has Italian. I just don't have any credits for 2016-17.

• Like 1