Menu

Chattanooga aquarium

bettyandbob

How much time would you allow yourself here? This would be a family that enjoys spending time in aquariums (spent 7 hours at GA aquarium). I was thinking of doing the aquarium and river tour combo. This place doesn't look big and so I'm thinking it's not an all day activity, even for me.

We are also going to Ruby Falls and Rock City. I'm trying to decide and the zoo. (Activities are planned with 14 yo who has disabilities)

We much prefer the Chattanooga aquarium to the GA Aquarium! It's a lovely space. I'd have to be drugged to spend 7 hours in the GA aquarium. It's not large, but the space is very well-planned and easy to navigate. I haven't been in 6+ years, so maybe they've messed it up trying to compete, but I hope not! The area around the aquarium is very walkable, and there are good restaurants nearby. We explored one building, walked to lunch, and then returned to explore the other building. I think we did an IMAX too, which is housed in another building. We did the speed boat river tour, which was fun too. We did not do the zoo because we went in August and the heat outside was over 100. 

With Ruby Falls, once you go down (long elevator ride down) and start walking on the dark tour, you're pretty much stuck down there. Have you been before? I was a bit worried about my 4 year old (at the time) getting scared of the dark or needing to pee or something. You are with one tour guide and are not exploring on your own at your own pace.

• Like 2

I have not been, but my dd and her cousin and aunt went to the Chat Aquarium about 4 years ago. I think they spent roughly 3 hours there, not including lunch (not sure if they ate there or not). They were driving up from Murphy, and spent a good part of a whole day on the trip.

It's a really nice place, and she remembers it being interesting and well-done.

• Like 1

I'd have to be drugged to spend 7 hours in the GA aquarium. It's not large, but the space is very well-planned and easy to navigate. I haven't been in 6+ years, so maybe they've messed it up trying to compete, but I hope not! The area around the aquarium is very walkable

Looking at fish is kind of a drug for me. :)

I was wondering about leaving and coming back. We are staying nearby and I did see some decent gf options (the other child with me has celiac).

I think ds will do OK in the dark. He is terrified of heights so some Chattanooga activities will not work (incline train). Anything where he can see down is a problem.

The elevator used to be open metal fencing and you could see the rock as you passed by it. I can't remember if they've closed it off for safety now. You can feel the pressure change and your ears pop. 

The GA Aquarium is total sensory overload for me. It's too loud and too bright and too...much. The Chattanooga one is soothing. I loved watching the seahorses and the otters and the penguins. When we went, there wasn't any food in the aquarium, so they allowed you to come and go the day(s) of your pass. You're not trapped in there for $10 Cokes and stale Chick-fil-a like the GA Aquarium. ;)

ETA: If you guys like baseball and the minor league team is in town, it's a great little stadium! 

Edited by zoobie
  • Like 1

We were there about a month ago. With younger kids we spent about 2-3 hours in the freshwater building, ate lunch and then spent about 1-1.5 hours in the other building.

The displays are really well done. The butterflies and and macaws have nothing to do with fish, but we still really enjoyed them. They do a butterfly release ever afternoon and let all the kids who want to, release them. One attached itself to my daughter's face for about 10 minutes, which she thought was hilarious.

The riverboat was closed when we weteh ere so I have no advice on that.

• Like 1

I would allow 4 hours for the TN Aquarium. There are 2 buildings--ocean and river. The exhibits are very well done, with large viewing areas (unlike the GA Aq) and a generally peaceful atmosphere (also very unlike the GA Aq). You could just go through both in about 2 hours if you don't really want to stop and look at everything--pet the sturgeon and stingrays, try to get a butterfly to land on your finger, count the miniature seahorses, find the octopus, watch the otters and penguins, figure out what *that* fish is and *that* fish and *that* one, or become mesmerized by the motion of the moonjellies. For my family the aquarium is easily a day visit. The other activities--Ruby Falls, Incline Railway, Rock City--is another day's worth of activity. There is also Point Park at the top of Lookout Mountain, if you're interested in Civil War history. It's a small park and there is a small fee, so I wouldn't call this a "must see". But if you do the Incline Railway it's just about 1/2 mile walk from the top station.

If you go in summer there is a water feature between the 2 aquarium buildings that your dc would probably love to play in and you would be well advised to bring extra clothes/towels just in case.

• Like 1