Menu

Any recent research on fish oil supplements?

madteaparty

We take them, but I don't exactly have a well thought-out reason for doing so. I'm also not sure which ones are the right ones. I alternate between fermented cod liver oil and whatever omega supplements I see at whole foods.

Can you recomend a brand? I can't tell a perceptible difference but want to keep on. The kids take Nordic naturals strawberry flavored and I will be sticking with those. We eat salmon weekly but need something extra because DH has rheumatoid arthritis ( juvenile form, in remission)

It's a good source of essential fatty acids required for development of the corpus callosum ( means of communication between left and right hemispheres of the brain. ) - especially beneficial for boys. (They need 3Xs as much as girls. )

We take nordic naturals proomega. It's one thing I won't look for a less expensive alternative.

Eta: sometimes I hate auto correct.

I buy off Amazon from whom ever has the best deal.

Edited by gardenmom5

Whatever you decide, choose your brand carefully!

http://www.stayonthehealthypath.com/fda-finds-majority-of-herbal-supplements-at-gnc-walmart-walgreens-and-target-dont-contain-what-they-claim-instead-cheap-fillers-like-wheat-and-soy-powder/

FWIW, I go with Now Foods also for supplements. Was recommended by someone whose judgment I trust in this area (PhD level natural food guru alternative medicine person). Since supplements are largely unregulated, you really have to choose your brand carefully. 

We look for ones high in EPA to help with attention.

We like Barlean Omega Swirls because they are tasty too.

Do a quick google scholar search because I've always understood it to be Dha for attention and brain development, EPA for mood and anti-inflammation.

It's a good source of essential fatty acids required for development of the corpus callosum ( means of communication between left and right hemispheres of the brain. ) - especially beneficial for boys. (They need 3Xs as much as girls. )

We take nordic naturals proomega. It's one thing I won't look for a less expensive alternative.

Eta: sometimes I hate auto correct.

I buy off Amazon from whom ever has the best deal.

I did not know that about boys, interesting!

I only recently had an article on that come across my feed. Dudeling has apd, of the type that is a deficit in the corpus callosum. We're doing therapy with a slp in addition to the 1280mgs of NN fish oil daily.
  • Like 1

You might want to look into MegaX.   It's a complete Omega product and contains Omega 3, 6, 9, 5 and 7.   It has Ahiflower which contains the healthy omega-6 fatty acid GLA, which is known for its anti-inflammatory benefits.  I don't think it's found in fish oils.

Here's a good article on GLA: http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2011/1/the-beneficial-omega-6-fatty-acid/page-01

Add me to the list! we do give Barlean's omega swirl ultra high potency to DS and have seen a large increase in focus over the past few years. But, I did not know that boys needed more of it than girls! Barleans Ultra High Potency has 2 kinds of flavors in bottles (key lime and orange) - they taste delicious and I buy it at the local health food store instead of on the internet - because it needs to be refrigerated. Ultra High Potency Omega Swirls have a higher amount of EPA and DHA than the regular Omega Swirls.

Edited by mathnerd

My rheumatologist recommends NN ultra omega.  

http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/treatments/natural/supplements-herbs/guide/fish-oil.php

and pubmed has a ton of recent studies

did you mean NN ultra? (I could't find anything)  or NN ultimate?

just for info.

NN ultimate omega and NN proomega - are the same thing.  only the name is different.  proomega tends to be marketed to providers.  I buy whichever I can find for the best deal.

did you mean NN ultra? (I could't find anything) or NN ultimate?

just for info.

NN ultimate omega and NN proomega - are the same thing. only the name is different. proomega tends to be marketed to providers. I buy whichever I can find for the best deal.

Thanks for clearing this up. I haven't been able to find the promega (mentioned on this board in older threads), but my local store has every other NN product!