Menu

My two year old

Mom2Five

Ugh. So she is at the stage where if she takes a nap she is up all night. She took a nap today and is still awake! I don't put her down for a nap. She stopped going down for a nap when we moved, I think because it was a new house and new room. She will lay down on the couch if she is tired and falls asleep. I am not really in the position of being able to try to lay her down at a set time everyday. She is the size of a 4 year old and because of health issues, I cannot lift her and take her back to the room and try to make sure she stays in there. I really don't feel like I can keep her awake when she is having a day that she needs a nap either. I feel especially bad because she shares a room with her older sisters and keeps my dd9 up late. Dd9 is a night owl anyway, but there have been times when I know she'd be sleeping if it wasn't for little dd. We are going to have to come up with a solution for that too. DD2 used to sleep in her own room, again before the move. Now I feel like she will be too scared to be by herself again, but I may try it. We will pretty much be out of rooms though. The only place I could put her is in the playroom/school room, but she would honestly destroy everything I have in there and prob stay up all night playing.

My second topic is potty training. I have potty trained 3 children, but if anyone wants to give advice id love to hear it, lol.

• Like 1

No advice, just commiseration. I'm sort of in the same boat. DH is about to have surgery and practically disabled right now, and I've been nauseous almost to the point of puking every night from 4:00pm until I pass out for 3+ years (like right now). On long nights I stick him in between us in bed with the Kindle until he seems woozy. He has to cosleep, because no one can physically handle getting up with him at night.

If he naps he's up late. If he doesn't nap, he's in bed by 7:00 but wakes up a LOT at night. I'm too tired and sick to deal with it.

Potty training, no clue either. All of mine think public bathrooms are the coolest things ever and never pass up an opportunity to use one. At home, pee on all the things. Not sure what to do with that information.

• Like 1

Ours sleep with us at that age so they're not keeping anyone up :)

If I had a bed and thought she'd actually sleep i'd do that. There have been several times that she comes out at 4 am and lays on the couch with me...or stays awake watching barney while I go back to sleep. Parenting at its finest :).

It is a rough time.  Sometimes they stay awake for a while at night while you are only awakish or if you are lucky with a night-owl DH :)  

For potty training, I get one of those super simple single piece of plastic potties, demonstrate the process several times, then leave the kid bottomless for about a week while at home and walk around cleaning up messes and redirecting to the potty.  Hasn't failed yet :)

• Like 1

When youngest DD was in that phase, we made her a bed on the floor in our bedroom. She would lie there and sing to herself or listen to audiobooks. She had parts of Harry Potter memorized by the time she was three.

It seemed like she would sleep later in my bedroom, which helped avoid the mid day nap.

• Like 1

Not an idea to get her to sleep, but if you are desperate to get yourself some sleep, can you put her in between you in bed and give her a phone or tablet to watch some show on? We have had to do that when traveling- our 1 year old slept all day in the car and was up all night in the hotel. Putting Daniel Tiger on my phone and having him watch it in between us was the only way we were getting any sleep. (We had been driving seperate cars, so neither of us had had any kind of break at all). It's not an ideal solution, but if you are literally sick from not sleeping, you gotta do what you gotta do!

• Like 2