Menu

Really Cool Science News - Gravitational Waves Detected

Lady Florida.

Ok, I'm just going on record as being the first person that I know of to draw this parallel... in case someday it becomes a big "thing", we should all know I thought of it first!!!

About 130 years ago, an almost identical experiment was run in Germany and then in the US, trying to prove/disprove the hypothesis of the universal ether.  This was the Michelson-Morley experiment.  

The experiment failed to find a time difference in the two beams' arrival times, and so concluded that the universal ether hypothesis was most likely false.  

Had Michelson and Morley had access to this 1.1 billion dollar set-up, they might have concluded that there was evidence for the universal ether, and physics may have developed quite differently for a while or even until present day.  

Weird!  Science is funny.  

Caveat- I do have a degree in physics, but that doesn't mean I remember much of it.  :-)  So correct me if I'm wrong.  

• Like 3

Ok, I'm just going on record as being the first person that I know of to draw this parallel... in case someday it becomes a big "thing", we should all know I thought of it first!!!

About 130 years ago, an almost identical experiment was run in Germany and then in the US, trying to prove/disprove the hypothesis of the universal ether.  This was the Michelson-Morley experiment.  

The experiment failed to find a time difference in the two beams' arrival times, and so concluded that the universal ether hypothesis was most likely false.  

Had Michelson and Morley had access to this 1.1 billion dollar set-up, they might have concluded that there was evidence for the universal ether, and physics may have developed quite differently for a while or even until present day.  

Weird!  Science is funny.  

Caveat- I do have a degree in physics, but that doesn't mean I remember much of it.  :-)  So correct me if I'm wrong.  

Oh cool! I not only don't have a degree in physics, I never even took a class (it wasn't required for my degree), so I'm certainly not going to correct you. 

Without looking it up, I suspect Einstein knew about them? Most famous scientists have stood on the shoulders of those who came before them, and as brilliant as he was he's still no exception.

Science is funny. And weird. And amazing!