Menu

s/o Quitting by high school-- anyone keep the high schooler home and send the rest to PS?

SweetandSimple

I feel like this in an unheard of thing to do, and I'm wondering if anyone else has done this.

Does anyone only homeschool for high school?

We have a lovely K-8 charter school nearby. I am planning (hopefully next year) on sending my younger kids there, and only homeschooling my oldest. 

Why? Well, the oldest has a few special needs and will be better off at home, I think. He really wants to stay home and is a good worker.

The younger kids, though, seem like they are just not getting enough of my time, and spend a lot of time bickering and making messes and whining. They just need more than I can offer. I really think that they will be happier at the charter school, and I'll be able to work with my oldest without so many distractions.

If the younger kids want to come home for high school, that would be great, but I recognize that they might not want to at that point.

Has anyone else kept their high schooler home and sent the younger kids to school?

• Like 1

I think it can be a good plan, depending on your children and the local schools.

If my children didn't have special needs (one medical and possible dyslexia, one dyslexic, one yet-to-be-known if anything), I would absolutely send them to a local Catholic K-8 school (the Catholic schools do not have the resources my kiddos need) and then homeschool high school.

Edited by AimeeM
  • Like 1

bwahahahaha, that sounds like a great idea.  At least until middle school. 

:iagree:   I would just check the dynamics of the 6th-8th grade carefully.  I know people who've pulled from high end private schools at those grades.  I think it tends to be social drama central + intellectual wasteland in many schools.  I totally am seeing what the parent on the other thread saying about unschooling ages 12-14 (or wherever the difficult phase starts and ends at your house). 

• Like 5

:iagree:   I would just check the dynamics of the 6th-8th grade carefully.  I know people who've pulled from high end private schools at those grades.  I think it tends to be social drama central + intellectual wasteland in many schools.  I totally am seeing what the parent on the other thread saying about unschooling ages 12-14 (or wherever the difficult phase starts and ends at your house). 

Yes-- that makes sense. I guess all these choices have to be made carefully and reevaluated every year.

I was also thinking (hoping!) that perhaps friendships made in a K-8 high school would continue on into high school even if the kids ended up at different high schools/homeschooled/ etc.

I feel like this in an unheard of thing to do, and I'm wondering if anyone else has done this.

Does anyone only homeschool for high school?

Well, DS was in PS through 7th grade, and we began homeschooling in 8th.   I would have liked to start much earlier, but would have needed far more extensive childcare while I was at work.

If I were a SAHM, I probably would have gone bonkers trying to homeschool a young child.  I'm not a patient person.  :p

As for your later thoughts about making friends at PS to carry over into HS, I'm sure it works for plenty of people, but for DS, none of the friendships survived.  :(

In general, though, I don't think it is at all a bad idea to homeschool only/mainly for high school, especially if you are academically focused.

• Like 1

:iagree: I would just check the dynamics of the 6th-8th grade carefully. I know people who've pulled from high end private schools at those grades. I think it tends to be social drama central + intellectual wasteland in many schools. I totally am seeing what the parent on the other thread saying about unschooling ages 12-14 (or wherever the difficult phase starts and ends at your house).

Totally this. IMO, Middle has always been the point at which I least want the kids away, even if in some ways, I really want the kids away!!! Middle school is so mean.

• Like 5