Menu

DD was accepted into her top choice Grad school in the UK

Jann in TX

Cross posting on Chat Board...

DD2 will be attending the University of Lancaster for her Master's program beginning this fall!
It was her first choice and the number of students accepted is VERY limited! :hurray:

Anyone with experience willing to chime in-- we have a 6-7 months to prepare.  DD spent a summer in Spain attending a university, but has never been to the UK.  DH has been there a few times.... I almost died in the Heathrow airport last summer (literally!) but other than that I've no clue what to expect...

How does one prepare for a whole year out of country?

• Like 18

Congratulations!  How very exciting!

I guess I would think about dentist/doctor/eye/medications.  How are those wisdom teeth?  Any dental work pending?  How is obtaining medications or contact lenses going to work?  Vaccinations?  Seasonal clothing that you don't want to buy over there or will be hard to obtain here right before she leaves?  Is there anything that she needs to bring that can't go with her and needs shipping?  Large musical instruments?  Sports equipment?  How is her transportation going to work once she is there, to and from the airport and then on a daily basis?  You might want to think about how much money she is likely to need and how her banking is going to work.  She might want to start listening to BBC or something so she has some idea what is going on in Europe.  Talk about what she wants to do in an emergency, if a grandparent is very ill or something.  It is easier if these things have been talked about beforehand.  Decide what to do with any mail that arrives at home addressed to her.  Open it and deal with it?  Forward it?  Set it aside?  Prepare Christmas and birthday presents to send with her if shipping them is going to be too expensive.  Think about phones and phone plans, what she'll need for a computer and how to maintain it, how her internet access is going to work.  I haven't had one of mine leave for a whole year, but we've done 3 or 4 months at a time and those were the things we had to think about.  The actual packing of clothes and necessities wasn't a big deal (well, except for fishing rods and camp stoves).  It was the less tangible stuff like health and communication and banking that took time and planning.

Nan

• Like 1

Congratulations!  How very exciting!

I guess I would think about dentist/doctor/eye/medications.  How are those wisdom teeth?  Any dental work pending?  How is obtaining medications or contact lenses going to work?  Vaccinations?  Seasonal clothing that you don't want to buy over there or will be hard to obtain here right before she leaves?  Is there anything that she needs to bring that can't go with her and needs shipping?  Large musical instruments?  Sports equipment?  How is her transportation going to work once she is there, to and from the airport and then on a daily basis?  You might want to think about how much money she is likely to need and how her banking is going to work.  She might want to start listening to BBC or something so she has some idea what is going on in Europe.  Talk about what she wants to do in an emergency, if a grandparent is very ill or something.  It is easier if these things have been talked about beforehand.  Decide what to do with any mail that arrives at home addressed to her.  Open it and deal with it?  Forward it?  Set it aside?  Prepare Christmas and birthday presents to send with her if shipping them is going to be too expensive.  Think about phones and phone plans, what she'll need for a computer and how to maintain it, how her internet access is going to work.  I haven't had one of mine leave for a whole year, but we've done 3 or 4 months at a time and those were the things we had to think about.  The actual packing of clothes and necessities wasn't a big deal (well, except for fishing rods and camp stoves).  It was the less tangible stuff like health and communication and banking that took time and planning.

Nan

This is all worth thinking about.  UK universities are generally pretty well set up with advice, however, as they want to welcome overseas students, who pay higher fees.  At the university where I work, we have pages similar to these, but then send out really detailed information about the practicalities once an offer is accepted.

• Like 1

For holiday gifts, we use Book Depository (free worldwide shipping) to send books to our daughter in South Korea.   We also use iHerb.com to send some food gifts as there is low shipping to Korea.  You might look to see what shipping charges are to the UK.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Congrats! :hurray:

My son (now a junior) has been attending a university in a European country. It might be easier said than done, but try not to fret too much. He has figured many things out as they presented themselves. Sometimes he needed my help, but usually not.

Examples I can think of:

How to get (and operate) a bank account

How to vote absentee

How to lease an apartment

How to adopt a rescue dog (!)

How to change your address

How to find a doctor and make an appointment

P.S. He is thinking of applying to grad school in the UK. Any tips?! :lol:

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations! I don't have anything to add except..don't forget there is Amazon uk. I imagine it would be great for care packages or heavy stuff a person might need while in the UK.With the airlines charging by the pound for extra luggage, this could come in handy of birthdays and Christmas gifts too.

Edited by Silver Brook