Menu

Coaching Rec League sports

mom2bee

Have you ever done the volunteer coaching for team sports in your area? I never played organized sports when I was a little girl and I'm currently (very) out of shape. I was wondering if there was a basic fitness/knowledge test that you have to pass to be able to coach at the city level? I can't find any information on the city website and being Sunday the office is closed.

Next year is the last year that my younger sister will be able to play city soccer and she's always wanted me to coach her team. I'm willing to lose weight, get in a shape and formally study the game in order to coach next season. But how big of a disadvantage is it to kids to have a coach who has never played before?

The girls will be 13+ next year, I don't want to coach if my inexperience is likely to put a big damper on it for the other girls.

Edited by mom2bee

I have coached for our parks and rec league. There was absolutely no physical test or knowledge base required, they were just SO happy to have volunteers and they did not want to turn kids away due to lack of coaches. I don't think your being out of shape should hinder anything, however, at the age group you are planning on coaching, you should learn basics so you aren't teaching them incorrect techniques. Is it possible you can start off assisting another coach for a season or two to understand the basics? Youtube was also helpful for me when I wanted to hone in on certain skills to be able to teach my team correct form. 

I don't have experience doing it, but as a parent whose kids have done rec league a lot, I would kindly ask you not to for that age. I feel like they've gotten so much more from the coaches who really knew the game. It may be rec league, but it's nice to actually learn some skills and play seriously and any team of kids that old, even on a rec league, is going to know the game. I know this isn't what you're asking, but I would say it wouldn't be a disadvantage at all if you were talking about really little kids.

• Like 3

My husband has coached a few times (soccer, basketball and baseball).  Here there are no requirements.  Just being willing and able means they'll be thrilled to have you!  It can be tough finding coaches sometimes.  I would study up on the game though, especially since you'll be coaching an older level.   When  my husband coached soccer they gave him a plan for every practice.  He could follow it or do his own thing.  The first year he followed it pretty closely.  I don't think baseball or basketball provided that and I'm guessing it was just through this particular soccer program.  

I don't have experience doing it, but as a parent whose kids have done rec league a lot, I would kindly ask you not to for that age. I feel like they've gotten so much more from the coaches who really knew the game. It may be rec league, but it's nice to actually learn some skills and play seriously and any team of kids that old, even on a rec league, is going to know the game. I know this isn't what you're asking, but I would say it wouldn't be a disadvantage at all if you were talking about really little kids.

Yes, this. At 13, I expect even rec coaches to have an intuitive knowledge of the game. All sports have nuances and rules that you will not be able to internalize just via self study. A coach who doesn't really know the game is a huge disadvantage for all of the players. 

May I suggest that you volunteer as team mom instead? A good team mom can really create a lot of fun for the team. (Think end of year awards, team pool parties, etc.)

• Like 1