Menu

Cruel Disappointment: Just opened Pottermore for the first time in a couple years

Monica_in_Switzerland

And gone is the magical chapter-by-chapter exploration of the books.  Instead I get... HP buzzfeed-esque factoids?  Sigh.  

I was signing my son up as he's just finished book one and I was thinking I'd let him go through the book one moments.  And now... nothing.  I can't let him use Pottermore because the articles are all mixed together and he'd get spoilers if he just explored the site.  

Huge, huge disappointment!!!

I don't suppose the old site has been saved in some secret location that I don't know about???  

And gone is the magical chapter-by-chapter exploration of the books.  Instead I get... HP buzzfeed-esque factoids?  Sigh.  

I was signing my son up as he's just finished book one and I was thinking I'd let him go through the book one moments.  And now... nothing.  I can't let him use Pottermore because the articles are all mixed together and he'd get spoilers if he just explored the site.  

Huge, huge disappointment!!!

I don't suppose the old site has been saved in some secret location that I don't know about???  

I agree. I went to set my kids up on it because we're doing a Harry Potter unit study, and I thought they could take the sorting quiz since that's the chapter we're on. So disappointed.

I went to the wayback machine site and found this. I don't know if it's what you are looking for though, as I never saw the original site.

Thank you but no.  The original site was a wonderful graphic interface where you moved through each chapter of the book along a graphic map, and each chapter opened up a small animation or game, then had original content from Rowling relating to that chapter.  As you went, you could find hidden potions ingredients, gain point for your house team... it was a really fun, kid-friendly but also very content rich site.  

So sad!

I haven't been in a few years either and had no idea it was changed. That's too bad. Even though I rarely found (made) time to play around there I thought that was a cool feature. IIRC, didn't you have to unlock some things in each chapter to get to Rowling's comments?

I've always heard that Rowling maintains strict control over all things HP, including the ebooks and audio books. I wonder if someone in her organization convinced her this was the way to go. If so, it sounds like one of the rare times she gave in to bad advice.