Menu

Science for first grade?

Peculiarmama

I need help deciding what to do for science for first grade. I was looking at Building Blocks of Science and Biology Pre Level 1 both from Real Science 4 Kids, but now looking at reviews I'm thinking they may be too advanced? Can someone help me out here? Also, this is my first time posting here, so let me know if I've done something wrong. :)

We are doing Nancy Larson science - grade 2. 

It's very WTMish I think - http://www.nancylarsonstore.com/Science-3-Complete-Program_p_12.html

I love that it's open and go.  Scripted which may or may not appeal but my student LOVES science.  It's me that doesn't :(  So this works for us, she's definitely challenged and learning so much and I don't have to jump through hoops to get it done.

We flipped Earth Science and Biology. So my son is doing "1st grade" science this year. We are doing Elemental Classics Biology science. We love this program. It is well written, easy to understand, easy to implement. In first grade, your child may need help with the writing, but dictating for a child is easy and your child would have the critical thinking, without the laborious writing. We have our child do the writing because he is older. 

Good luck with your decision!

Edited by 3 ladybugs

My last first grader used the Getting to Know Nature's Children book series for the first half of the school year, and mostly did Magic School Bus books and episodes with free internet lapbook-ish stuff for the rest of the year.

My youngest will do a second year of K this fall, so K/1st level really. We'll either read Getting to Know Nature's Children together, or perhaps he'll tag-a-long with 3rd grade sister's Sassafras Science and do the coloring pages.

We had great success doing a nature (biology) study this fall for 1st and 2nd together. We read through The First Animal Encyclopedia (à la WTM) in weekly sections, discussing the animal families. I printed an animal coloring page for each category and they colored and then narrated something that they'd learned at the bottom of the page. Then I found a YouTube video about that animal (totally on the fly, there are tons available, about 10 mins long), and they watched it. I also occasionally grabbed library books about the animals.

It worked so well, was so easy, and I'm amazed at how much they still discuss the animals and the facts they learned. We are following up this winter with reading through the First Nature Encyclopedia to learn more about habitats - also drawing habitat pictures and watching related Magic School Bus episodes.

I've loved this approach. Next year, at my DD's request, we will study anatomy with the First Human Body Encyclopedia as our spine... and a little more added in to make it a bit more thorough.

• Like 1

My 4 and 6 year olds are using Mr. Q Life Science this year and are really enjoying it.  They love the funny, conversational tone of his lessons (pdf form that we read off a tablet).  The lesson/vocab review sheets (crosswords, word searches, etc that we print from the pdf) are exactly the right level for my 6 year old.  The experiments and activities are doable, don't require unusual supplies and tie in well to the lessons.

Since the Life Science is completely free, it is easy to download it and give it a try.

Wendy

My kids and I loved a series of books you can get at your local library: the "Let's Read and Find Out" series.  There are level 1 books, more basic, and level 2, designed for K-2nd grade.  They cover a wide range of scientific ground and for the most part, the writing and excellent and the teaching goals are well executed. Many come with suggestions for simple experiments that are easy to replicate at home.  FWIW, I have a strong sceince background and I feel these books have provided my children with a solid foundation in science.

• Like 2

So many wonderful ideas! Thank you so much! So, some background. I kind of hate science, mostly because I'm not good at it. I want my daughters to love it, though! Open and go, clear directions, materials that are included or easy to get, are all huge bonuses for me. I'm definitely going to look into Mr. Q, as suggested. It's hard to pass up giving something free a chance! I also loved the idea of getting an animal encyclopedia and doing a chapter a week. Does this discuss animal classification at all? I never had biology in school so I'm embarrassed to admit I have no idea how to classify living things. I'll also definitely have to check out the "Let's Read and Find Out" series. Seems like we may have one about butterflies already. Thank God for our local library!

Sorry I couldn't take the time to quote individually! I've got a clingy toddler needing my attention! I greatly appreciate all of the replies!

My 1st grader is loving Home Science Adventures by Stratton House. We finished astronomy and are now working on magnetism. Next up is birds. I LOVE that everything you need comes in the kit!

I saw that set online when I was looking around last night. Good to know it's worth it. I'll have to put it on my list to eventually try. How long does the curriculum last?

We had great success doing a nature (biology) study this fall for 1st and 2nd together. We read through The First Animal Encyclopedia (à la WTM) in weekly sections, discussing the animal families. I printed an animal coloring page for each category and they colored and then narrated something that they'd learned at the bottom of the page. Then I found a YouTube video about that animal (totally on the fly, there are tons available, about 10 mins long), and they watched it. I also occasionally grabbed library books about the animals.

It worked so well, was so easy, and I'm amazed at how much they still discuss the animals and the facts they learned. We are following up this winter with reading through the First Nature Encyclopedia to learn more about habitats - also drawing habitat pictures and watching related Magic School Bus episodes.

I've loved this approach. Next year, at my DD's request, we will study anatomy with the First Human Body Encyclopedia as our spine... and a little more added in to make it a bit more thorough.

Do you know which animal encyclopedia you have? There seems to be tons! I'm sure any would do, I'm just weird lol.

Do you know which animal encyclopedia you have? There seems to be tons! I'm sure any would do, I'm just weird lol.

:) I have this one:http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0756602270/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1454041411&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=first+animal+encyclopedia&dpPl=1&dpID=516q7TOYenL&ref=plSrch

It contains a page that introduces vertebrates/invertebrates, etc, then jumps into the main animal categories. I found a cheat sheet online that listed the characteristics of each category and we discussed those as we worked through the book. It's definitely introductory, but it was the right amount of info for this year and we liked it! HTH.

ETA: I downloaded the animal classification unit from here:http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/blog/2013/04/animal-classification-unit.htmland printed off page 9 (I think) of the PDF, which has cards with the basic info for each animal classification. I tucked those in the encyclopedia and we would review the main points each day we read. There are other good parts to that unit as well, depending how you want to do things!

Edited by indigoellen@gmail.com
  • Like 1

I saw that set online when I was looking around last night. Good to know it's worth it. I'll have to put it on my list to eventually try. How long does the curriculum last?

We've enjoyed it but YMMV!  I haven't read much about others using it so maybe I'm weird that we like it so much.  The demonstrations are very easy to do, especially because everything comes in the kit.  I mean it even included a penny for one demonstration!

I believe it is set to last one school year if you do it one day a week.  We started out like that but took forever to get through the astronomy part because I wasn't always doing it even once a week.  We've picked up the pace now, doing it consistently 2 days a week. 

We've enjoyed it but YMMV!  I haven't read much about others using it so maybe I'm weird that we like it so much.  The demonstrations are very easy to do, especially because everything comes in the kit.  I mean it even included a penny for one demonstration!

I believe it is set to last one school year if you do it one day a week.  We started out like that but took forever to get through the astronomy part because I wasn't always doing it even once a week.  We've picked up the pace now, doing it consistently 2 days a week. 

I feel like it's definitely worth trying, but I'll probably wait until my youngest (almost 3) is about 4 or 5, so she can do it with us. She really, really enjoys science. We got a little chemistry kit for Christmas a few years back and she fell in love.

:) I have this one:http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0756602270/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1454041411&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=first+animal+encyclopedia&dpPl=1&dpID=516q7TOYenL&ref=plSrch

It contains a page that introduces vertebrates/invertebrates, etc, then jumps into the main animal categories. I found a cheat sheet online that listed the characteristics of each category and we discussed those as we worked through the book. It's definitely introductory, but it was the right amount of info for this year and we liked it! HTH.

ETA: I downloaded the animal classification unit from here:http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/blog/2013/04/animal-classification-unit.htmland printed off page 9 (I think) of the PDF, which has cards with the basic info for each animal classification. I tucked those in the encyclopedia and we would review the main points each day we read. There are other good parts to that unit as well, depending how you want to do things!

Awesome! Thanks!

In 1st and 2nd I had much better success and generated more excitement when we kept it simple and watched Magic School Bus videos, did some Magic School bus experiment kits, read books from the library and made narration pages/pictures every couple of weeks.

Next year for 3rd I'm kicking it up a notch with Mr. Q, but for 1st and 2nd, Magic School Bus was perfect!

• Like 1