Menu

What kind of cross country skis should I get?

Laurie4b

My old skis have fallen apart, as have the boots (which wouldn't fit in the new kinds of bindings anyway) and poles. 

I don't get to cross-country ski often, and just do it for fun. So I don't need the best of the best, super fast,etc. What I want is nice and sturdy for an oldish lady! I'd like a pair likely to last. 

I was looking at REI's website and there are metal edged touring skis and cross-country touring skis. There are also back country and classic. 

If you are familiar with cross-country gear, could you share your opinion? Thank you!

http://www.rei.com/product/877001/fischer-desire-my-style-cross-country-skis-with-bindings-womens

Desires are great for the occasional skier. Remember that the binding type has to match your boots.

Rei has a pair of women's Solomon classic skis listed as well that DD14 skis on when she is coaching the

Little kids. We picked them up "used" at Play it Again sports for $60, but clearly they had never been used.

Back country and metal edge are for back country use. Like two feet of untouched snow and mountains.

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 2

I assume classic skiing (not skate).  Is that correct?

Are you skiing on groomed trails or breaking your own trails?

If you're breaking your own, how deep is the snow typically?

I have used them primarily in the neighborhood when it snows. We rarely get more than a few inches but it's enough to have fun.

Something I would like to do (approaching empty nest) is to ski on trails in the mountains. Are trails in state parks typically groomed? I assume others would have done the same thing and there would be some tracks. Do people cross-country ski on trails that are  hiking trails most of the year? See, I'm pretty ignorant, but sitting by the fire and dreaming. Went sledding today, but would have liked to ski. 

I suggest finding some sporting goods stores that rent equipment near you and trying what you like.  You might even find you prefer renting to owning.

I live in Oklahoma so I never get to CC ski around home now, but when I was trying different ones out I got talked into trying telemark skiis for cross country when I was renting. The ski guy said some people love them because you can use them for both downhill and cross country. I liked them because I seemed to fight them less than the others I tried - they fit my natural movements better, and I felt a little freer and they seemed to be easier on my knees. I don't know how else to describe it. Anyway, if you rent the gear you can try every kind before deciding.

If you are only planning to use them every once in a while and don't know much, I'd skip the wax skis and pick up a pair of fish-scales. They are generally called classic touring skis, but you can tell by flipping them upside down and checking to see that the kick area (center of the base) is rough, not smooth. My favorite bindings are SNS and NNN and you can pick up inexpensive boots with either.

• Like 2

I have used them primarily in the neighborhood when it snows. We rarely get more than a few inches but it's enough to have fun.

Something I would like to do (approaching empty nest) is to ski on trails in the mountains. Are trails in state parks typically groomed? I assume others would have done the same thing and there would be some tracks. Do people cross-country ski on trails that are  hiking trails most of the year? See, I'm pretty ignorant, but sitting by the fire and dreaming. Went sledding today, but would have liked to ski. 

I don't know that state you live in but in mine some state parks do have groomed trails.  Typically hiking trails are too narrow, hilly, and windy to be good skiing trails although some people do back-country ski on hiking trails.  But if you get snow in your area, my guess is with a little research you will find a surprising amount of ski trail systems you might have never known about.

Since depth is not a real factor and you are interested in maybe skiing on trails at some point, I suggest touring no-wax skis.  Brand is not super important nor is binding.  NNN and SNS (with or without pilot) all feel the same to me and I do a HUGE amount of skiing.  The price of skis typically correlates with the weight of the skis.  Durability and such does not vary much with cost so you are safe looking at inexpensive skis.  My family of three owns 20+ pairs of skis all over the cost spectrum and none have ever broken.  The less expensive skis are not as fast but tend to be far more forgiving for the novice skier.

I would caution against buying skis online.  I love REI but fit is so so SO important with skis.  You want the proper length for your height AND weight.  If it is off, skiing can quickly become miserable.  The exact same style, length, and brand of ski can vary from one pair to the next.  A real ski shop will be able to test the ski with you on it to be sure it is the right fit.  Same with poles.  And boots can be a love/hate thing with sizing all over the place.  I suggest visiting a shop and working with someone who can properly fit you.  This does not have to be expensive.  Every ski/sport shop I have been in has great intro package prices that rival anything I could put together on my own online.  Many sell used skis as well.  Shops that have rental programs often sell off their rentals every year.  We have picked up several good pairs this way for a fraction of the cost.

• Like 1

I'm reading this with a certain amount of interest and a dash of nostalgia.  we don't get snow around here for that OH LOOK IT SNOWED LET"S SKI TO CHURCH kind of skiing, but we used to and I loved every minute of it.  :0)  

Thanks for the memories.

I suggest finding some sporting goods stores that rent equipment near you and trying what you like.  You might even find you prefer renting to owning.

I live in Oklahoma so I never get to CC ski around home now, but when I was trying different ones out I got talked into trying telemark skiis for cross country when I was renting. The ski guy said some people love them because you can use them for both downhill and cross country. I liked them because I seemed to fight them less than the others I tried - they fit my natural movements better, and I felt a little freer and they seemed to be easier on my knees. I don't know how else to describe it. Anyway, if you rent the gear you can try every kind before deciding.

Unfortunately, there are none nearby that rent and I've read there are only a couple places in the mountains and they get wiped out fast . Great suggestion, though. I'll look into the Telemark skiis. They sound very versatile. 

I don't know that state you live in but in mine some state parks do have groomed trails.  Typically hiking trails are too narrow, hilly, and windy to be good skiing trails although some people do back-country ski on hiking trails.  But if you get snow in your area, my guess is with a little research you will find a surprising amount of ski trail systems you might have never known about.

Since depth is not a real factor and you are interested in maybe skiing on trails at some point, I suggest touring no-wax skis.  Brand is not super important nor is binding.  NNN and SNS (with or without pilot) all feel the same to me and I do a HUGE amount of skiing.  The price of skis typically correlates with the weight of the skis.  Durability and such does not vary much with cost so you are safe looking at inexpensive skis.  My family of three owns 20+ pairs of skis all over the cost spectrum and none have ever broken.  The less expensive skis are not as fast but tend to be far more forgiving for the novice skier.

I would caution against buying skis online.  I love REI but fit is so so SO important with skis.  You want the proper length for your height AND weight.  If it is off, skiing can quickly become miserable.  The exact same style, length, and brand of ski can vary from one pair to the next.  A real ski shop will be able to test the ski with you on it to be sure it is the right fit.  Same with poles.  And boots can be a love/hate thing with sizing all over the place.  I suggest visiting a shop and working with someone who can properly fit you.  This does not have to be expensive.  Every ski/sport shop I have been in has great intro package prices that rival anything I could put together on my own online.  Many sell used skis as well.  Shops that have rental programs often sell off their rentals every year.  We have picked up several good pairs this way for a fraction of the cost.

Thanks for this very useful information!  

No local ski shops. Sounds like a trip to the mountains is in order!

Edited by Laurie4b

Unfortunately, there are none nearby that rent and I've read there are only a couple places in the mountains and they get wiped out fast . Great suggestion, though. I'll look into the Telemark skiis. They sound very versatile. 

I could be wrong, but I think telemarks will not be what you want.  They are heavier than skinny boards and are made for serious multi-terrain, which means they are not super-well-suited for ANY terrain.  We used to go cross-country and end up at the top of a downhill ski resort and ski down that.  THAT was a good use for telemarks because you need to be able to turn on consistently steep and groomed terrain.  But for trail skiing, even hilly trail, the skinny boards were better suited.  They are also a lot lighter, so you don't have to expend as much energy to get moving.  

I could be wrong, but I think telemarks will not be what you want.  They are heavier than skinny boards and are made for serious multi-terrain, which means they are not super-well-suited for ANY terrain.  We used to go cross-country and end up at the top of a downhill ski resort and ski down that.  THAT was a good use for telemarks because you need to be able to turn on consistently steep and groomed terrain.  But for trail skiing, even hilly trail, the skinny boards were better suited.  They are also a lot lighter, so you don't have to expend as much energy to get moving.  

I agree that telemark would not be a good fit.  Plus they are expensive.  Touring skis will work fine off trail if it is not deep.  They also make "hybrid" skis that work for touring and mild back-country.  I have owned a pair of these and was very happy with them, but again you are paying for that versatility.

• Like 1

FWIW, I was using telemark not on groomed CC trails, but on an easy hiking path along a stream.  Gentle rolling hills for part of the path, but mostly flat.  And gorgeous on a sunny morning after a deep snow. Occasionally someone would have gotten there before us on skiis, but usually if anyone made it there first, it was someone on horseback.

• Like 1

I'd get wax-less skis that are good for classic skiing (not skate skiing).  Other than that, I don't think it matters.  I'd honestly just get whatever is cheapest given what you'd be using them for.   We've gotten great deals for cross-country skis second-hand, at chain stores such as Play It Again Sports.

• Like 1