Menu

Does this happen to you?

SparklyUnicorn

No they aren't.

I think a size 5 or 6.

Looking at the charts on Zappos there is some overlap, but I have never in my life seen a men's size 6 shoe.  Have you?

Yes, I often buy men's size 5.  They are, however, not always easy to find.  It's that boy/man size overlap; it's the same for girls.  Sometimes it seems like only Converse, Merrells, and Doc Martens serve this size range.

I stand in the store, try on the shoes then order those exact shoes online. :) I've turned all my kids onto Salomons and now I just order them new shoes online. :)

I can see doing this in a situation like a PP described, where she simply couldn't find anyone to help her in a big-box store, or when the local store doesn't have your size and can't order it.  But in general, if we don't support our local stores, especially the one-store or small chain ones, which are getting hammered by internet sales, we will lose them.  Local stores employ local people, tailor their stock to local needs, give you the opportunity to see things in person and try them on before you buy, and are there when you need a last-minute item.  I buy the same size and style of shoes every couple of years.  This time, I made a point of buying locally.  I did have to special order them, but I got excellent customer service, and supported a store where I enjoy shopping.  

Taking advantage of a local store's service of letting you try on shoes, then turning around and buying from somewhere else, is, in my book, Not On, as the Brits say.

I think this is another thing I do wrong.  I tend to buy as needed.  That often does not coincide with when they have stuff well stocked. 

Yes, just like you can't find swimsuits in August because the stores are full of winter coats, or rain gear in April because of the swimsuits.

• Like 1

Yes, I often buy men's size 5.  They are, however, not always easy to find.  It's that boy/man size overlap; it's the same for girls.  Sometimes it seems like only Converse, Merrells, and Doc Martens serve this size range.

I can see doing this in a situation like a PP described, where she simply couldn't find anyone to help her in a big-box store, or when the local store doesn't have your size and can't order it.  But in general, if we don't support our local stores, especially the one-store or small chain ones, which are getting hammered by internet sales, we will lose them.  Local stores employ local people, tailor their stock to local needs, give you the opportunity to see things in person and try them on before you buy, and are there when you need a last-minute item.  I buy the same size and style of shoes every couple of years.  This time, I made a point of buying locally.  I did have to special order them, but I got excellent customer service, and supported a store where I enjoy shopping.  

Taking advantage of a local store's service of letting you try on shoes, then turning around and buying from somewhere else, is, in my book, Not On, as the Brits say.

Yes, just like you can't find swimsuits in August because the stores are full of winter coats, or rain gear in April because of the swimsuits.

Yeah although this year they still have snow pants and boots.  Usually they are long gone from the store by now.  We haven't had any winter weather (not complaining).

It is already hard to find certain things in stores.  Maybe because people buy so much on line?  I don't know.  I don't mind ordering nearly anything on-line, but I absolutely hate ordering shoes and clothes on-line.  I don't want to deal with returning stuff. 

It doesn't help that in general we just don't have many options.  It's Walmart or Target for the most part.  We have one shoe store (Famous Footwear).  The only other option is to go to the mall.  Mall stuff is soooo expensive. 

We have one Kohl's within a reasonable distance, but frankly I hate Kohl's.  I hate having to deal with coupons and cards.  Without those the prices are insane.  I already deal with that enough with food shopping. 

Right. I've done the same thing: found just a couple pairs of shoes that my hard to fit and very picky son will wear, then I just order him the next size up when needed. For him it's Keens and one particular kind of Adidas sneakers.  

Yeah and I don't know what happened.  My 10 year old had a pair of Sketchers sneakers.  So I grabbed a pair 2 sizes bigger and they were too small.  His old ones say size 2.  The ones he tried were a 4.  He said they were too tight.  I had him try several pairs of Sketcher brand sneaks and it was the same deal.  He is very particular though.  If a sneaker is too difficult to get on and off and wants nothing to do with it.

It is a PITA to have to ship back stuff that doesn't fit, but it's far more of a PITA to drive all over town and blow a day shopping, only to come home empty-handed.

Yeah I severely hate this idea, but it's getting to the point where I might not have a choice. 

• Like 3

I agree that some sizes are just difficult to find. That in-between boys & men for shoes and clothing as well are pretty imposssible. I know you are averse to online shoe-shopping, but I've had great luck ordering from zappos. I order ALL the sizes that are possible and return all but the one pair that fits.