Menu

Parents of non-math kids

Does anyone have a suggestion for an Algebra 2 course?  I know I'm leaping here, but I do plan on buying a program and using it with whatever time I have.  We are working okay through the Tabletclass pre-algebra course.  If I continue with their Algebra 1, there will be some overlap between the pre-algebra and algebra 1.  I could try their Algebra 2 also, but I wasn't sure if there was something out there I was missing.  I really like the looks of Power Basics for geometry, but I see they do not have Algebra 2.  Also, I found edX and their intro to geometry looks great for my needs.

I bought a used Lial's Algebra for college students, but I'm thinking I bought the wrong book.  This is reading a little wordy and not so simple for my tired brain.

I would actually strongly recommend getting halfway through the algebra 1 class you intend to use (tabletclass?) and then starting a new thread at that time. Things may change between now and then -- or something new may be published -- and it may alter your decision.

• Like 2

I would actually strongly recommend getting halfway through the algebra 1 class you intend to use (tabletclass?) and then starting a new thread at that time. Things may change between now and then -- or something new may be published -- and it may alter your decision.

Agreed.

Lial's worked here, but I don't consider it any where near the easiest Algebra on the market. I didn't like MUS's presentation of Algebra. The problems were simplistic, but the explanations were confusing. There are always new things being published, or just becoming known that might become your new best friend for Algebra 2. Do Algebra 1 and Geometry and then worry about Algebra 2. 

• Like 1

I am glad to hear the counselor was able to clear up your understanding of what is required. It is the same here. To give you some hope, I have a dd who also struggles with math. She has been able to do fine at CC. She did start in remedial math which was perfectly fine. I would advise you to not even worry about the math score too much. For her major, she only had to take Prob and Stats for math. (Plus the remedial to be allowed to take P+S) She actually loved her remedial math class and just flew through the material with an A. It was mostly basic math and algebra. They had it broken down into units. You had to pass all of the blocks to pass. The dc took a placement test at the CC to find out where they needed to begin. Dd had to start at the lowest level (she really does not test well) with 2+2=4. If they passed the block level on the placement test, they did not have to take that portion of the class. It was a really good class for dd. It improved her math confidence tremendously. A huge portion of the CC students start in remedial math. Seeing how many other kids were in the same boat she was in was an uplifting experience for her.

For high school, she used a combination of Teaching Textbooks (the old version without the computer grading) and BJUP, BJUP (Bob Jones University Press) has different tracks (easy, average, challenging or something like that) set up in their teacher's manual. The TM tells which problems to assign to achieve which level of difficulty. It also has the option of having a dvd for instruction.(or at least it used to...they were pushing online hard at the end. I don't know that I would suggest online for a struggling student.) TT is fairly straight forward and not too overwhelming. The layout of the books makes it look easy which made dd think it was easier. It isn't overly wordy which helped my dd. Also, in geometry, don't worry about doing proofs. Just stick with the basic problems. You may find that geometry goes much better than alg. It is a whole different math that appeals to a different part of the brain.

For the ACT, if dc score is anywhere close to the required # for college readiness (not have to take remedial) I would suggest going to a test prep expert for a one on one class (ours offers group of individual/I strongly recommend individual for a struggling student). They are actually pretty good at improving scores. Dd's math score improved about 4 points after taking a class. Still was not high enough, but that is an impressive improvement! If that isn't an option, make a sheet of the formula's he will need to have memorized for the test and have him fill it in every. single. day. I would share, but my kids' sheet has been tossed since they are all done with that now (hoooray!!!!). Things like "area of a rectangle= bh". But, honestly, the remedial class was a great place for my dd to start.

As far as what you are doing for high school, I think it is perfectly fine. Don't let this one area of weakness hold them back from attending college. I would do whatever was in my power to make passing through Alg 2 happen. That would include not having tests if dc cannot pass them and only having daily work with me by their side if they need a nudge count for a grade. It would include bonus problems for extra credit if needed. Why? because all the grade is good for is to get them into a college where only the ACT score counts (or the placement test they have to take if ACT is not high enough) for placement.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly?   I would create nontraditional Alg 1 and 2 and Geometry classes.  Is your student a reader?  For geometry, read some books that talk about Geometry, like String Straightedge and Shadow.  Read some "living math" books (there's a website with those.  I think it's livingmath.net).  Have a book list for each class.  Call it good when those books are read.

Git er done, but do something, don't just give credit for not even touching the topic.  Just touch it in a different way.

If your student is more hands on, then find some hand on stuff to require instead.  Maybe mess with Zometools for Geometry.  Lakeshore Learning Center has lots of hands on stuff that has basic geometry, and that's all you need at this point.

Take heart.  Tons of kids got through public school barely scraping by in their math classes.  I know you want to do better for your kid, and you have.  Now we just need a "git er done" approach and let that be that.

I wish I could "like" this 100x's! My 10th grader is struggling with Geometry & still have 104 lessons to go which puts us at finishing on 6-12-16! That is a huge problem because we farm & she cannot do steady school work through the summer.  Plus, she has camps & other things to do and I need a break too.   She struggled badly through Algebra 1 & did not finish the course so I'm giving her a very low "C" on her transcript & we moved on to Geometry.  This girl HATES math so much! No LD's, no Dyscalcula, no ADHD, problems. 

Perkybunch, I'm going to look into this. How do I create a nontraditional Geometry class for my math hating student.  In fact...I may start a thread.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm coming into this late. I have taught special education students math. In Texas, they need Algebra I, Geometry. and usually Math Models (a practical applications course that fits nicely before Algebra II).

For special education students, we will sit right next to them and coach them and talk them through what they need to do. They don't have to do it completely on their own. We do all the same types of problems, but not the most difficult ones.

So for finding the slope and y-intercept, we would have them use an equation like y = 3x -5 and not 3x - y = 5.

For solving a system of two equations, we would use simpler sets like 3x - 2y = 10 and 2x + 2y = 5 rather than more complicated ones like 3x - 2y = 10 and x + 5y = 7.

Tests are nearly all multiple choice so that if they don't get one of the possible answers, they know they have done something wrong. Plus I coach through the steps.

If he does moderately okay while you are there, but falls apart when you are not, then stay with him the whole time he is doing math. Just accept that at least for now he needs constant support in math. I know that's easier said than done when you have other kids too, but I would plan on sitting with him to do math for at least 30 minutes every day. If he falls apart when you aren't there, then just don't leave. It doesn't matter that he is "supposed" to be able to do it on his own. He can't, so set up him up for success by staying with him the whole time he is doing math.

As far as particular programs to use. I ended up with MUS for Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II. I did not have my dd do all of the problems. I just made sure that she did some of everything. She needed a lot of support for it and I sat right by her side the whole time. MUS has 4 worksheets for each lesson, we rarely did more than 2 and sometimes only did 1. We did what we had to do to get her through it. She did hit every topic and solved several problems of each type.

However, as much as struggled, she has made amazing strides in the past year. We worked specifically on the math for the ACT test and she scored high enough to place directly into college algebra math at the cc where she does dual credit. She took Math for Business last semester (college algebra with business applications) and got an A in the class. She spent a huge amount of time on that class (typically 2-3 hours/day not counting the time in class), but she learned a lot. This semester she is taking statistics and actually loves it. We found out that it would have been a better course to take before the business math class. This is the same student who seriously struggled to solve 3x - y = 10  for y just one year ago. She needed constant hand-holding to make it through MUS, but she grew tremendously in her math abilities this year and is even talking about minoring in statistics. I have only spent a total of about 60 minutes helping her with her math class this semester. Last semester I was at least in the room with her for 1-1.5 hours every day and actually worked with her on her math for 45-60 minutes each day.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a daughter like this. She is in tenth grade and still finishing up prealgebra and is in the beginning of geometry. Over the next year and a half I hope to have her finish geometry and finish algebra 1. Next year she will start at the community college, without taking any math classes there her junior year. The summer before her senior year she will take Math Readiness at the CC and her senior year she will take Topics in Math and Contemporary Math, both classes for students that plan liberal arts majors and struggle with math.

So her transcript will have 4.5 credits and read:

Algebra 1                   1.0

Geometry                   1.0

Math Readiness         0.5

Topics in Math           1.0

Contemporary Math   1.0

A question for you, Melissa B.

Sorry--I'm just now seeing this post.  My tutoring/teaching keeps me very busy!  I have a student who sounds a lot like your daughter.  My student is a 17yo 10th grader (repeated 9th with me after failing woefully in PS the previous year) and she is currently finishing up Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra.  Math plans for next year include TT Algebra 1, and I'm really not sure how successful she will be. After that, I'm almost positive she will not be able to handle Geometry or Algebra 2, so I'm seeking alternatives.  I noticed two courses you mentioned:  Topics in Math and Contemporary Math.  Would you happen to have a course description, or could you point me to an online description?  Thanks so much! 

A question for you, Melissa B.

Sorry--I'm just now seeing this post.  My tutoring/teaching keeps me very busy!  I have a student who sounds a lot like your daughter.  My student is a 17yo 10th grader (repeated 9th with me after failing woefully in PS the previous year) and she is currently finishing up Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra.  Math plans for next year include TT Algebra 1, and I'm really not sure how successful she will be. After that, I'm almost positive she will not be able to handle Geometry or Algebra 2, so I'm seeking alternatives.  I noticed two courses you mentioned:  Topics in Math and Contemporary Math.  Would you happen to have a course description, or could you point me to an online description?  Thanks so much! 

Topics in Mathematics:

This course gives an overview of the various branches of mathematics and their development. Topics to be studied are, sets and Venn diagrams, inductive and deductive reasoning, logic, geometry, counting principles, permutations and combinations, probability, and descriptive statistics. The primary General Education Learning Outcome for this course is Quantitative Reasoning, which is to understand and apply mathematical concepts and reasoning and analyze and interpret various types of data.

Contemporary Mathematics:

The intent of this course is to present topics which demonstrate the beauty and utility of mathematics to the general student population. Along with Topics in Mathematics, it is designed as a terminal course for students who do not intend to take other mathematics courses. The primary General Education Learning Outcome for this course is Quantitative Reasoning, which is to understand and apply mathematical concepts and reasoning and analyze and interpret various types of data.

Textbook used: http://www.amazon.com/Survey-Mathematics-Applications-Allen-Angel-ebook/dp/B0072VXNN6/ref=mt_kindle?_encoding=UTF8&me=

• Like 1