Menu

Top loin pork roast - but all my recipes are for tenderloin. Clearly not the same thing

momee

I cut up the apples and sweet potatoes into small chunks, place in the bottom of a roasting pan, sprinkle with a bit of brown sugar, salt & pepper, maybe some cinnamon, and drizzle with melted butter.  Put the roast on top and cook at 350 for 20 minutes per pound, plus 20 minutes if the roast is cold.

• Like 2

I cut up the apples and sweet potatoes into small chunks, place in the bottom of a roasting pan, sprinkle with a bit of brown sugar, salt & pepper, maybe some cinnamon, and drizzle with melted butter.  Put the roast on top and cook at 350 for 20 minutes per pound, plus 20 minutes if the roast is cold.

That sounds wonderful!  Is there an easy way to peel the sweet potatoes?  They are so hard to peel and cut when not cooked.

I am a big fan of knowing WHY certain cooking methods work in *which* situations...so here are my thoughts:

If you are used to cooking tenderloin, find out whether this cut of meat is fatter or leaner than the tenderloin.  Given that it is pork, it is probably fatter.  You cook fattier meats at a lower temperature than you do leaner meats.  

And if it is a "tougher" cut of meat, add a little salt and a little acid to the cooking, to tenderize it.  Not salt to flavor but salt to break down cell walls.  Same with acid.  Acid can be wine, wine vinegar, cider vinegar, lemon juice (maybe dilute it with a little water).  

And a meat thermometer is your new best friend.

I've been doing this one for a few years now. Although the recipe says it's for tenderloin, I do it with the big loins, 3.5 to 5 lbs.  I season it with just salt and pepper.  Sometimes we just slice and eat, although usually I cook it and then put it in a certain stew that I make.  If you read the reviews, you'll see that others have successfully used this cooking method too.  I've long cooked prime rib in this same way, so I wasn't nervous about trying it.

• Like 1