Menu

How to get small amounts of grass seed for a science project?

Guest tapiocaqueen

Guest tapiocaqueen

So I'm doing a science project for school about drought resistant grass but I can't buy grass seed that isn't 10 pounds and costs $50!

All I want is a few grass seeds (maybe 30?) of 4 different varieties of grass. I've looked at my local gardening stores, but all they have are

the big bulk grass bags and cat grass (including oat grass and wheat grass) , but that's my last resort because nobody actually  uses cat grass

on their lawn.

Any ideas? Thanks :) 

Look at the floor under the bags of grass seed at the local hardware store. Usually a bag has spilled some. Maybe I could mail you some?? 😀

Eta - I don't have four varieties though, and scooping seed off the floor probably isn't very "scienteriffic".

Edited by displace

Guest tapiocaqueen

I googled and there are quite a few seed websites that say they'll send you grass seed samples so you can see how it grows. You could try emailing a few of them.

Thanks! Just wondering, but could you give me a specific website? I don't know why but I can't seem to find any! :(

Thanks! Just wondering, but could you give me a specific website? I don't know why but I can't seem to find any! :(

I'm sorry, I didn't save them. I was trying to find a grass company that sold some kind of variety sample pack and noticed a few of them mentioned that they'd send out seed samples by request. Maybe if you try googling "grass seed variety sample pack" you'll come across the same websites I did.

So I'm doing a science project for school about drought resistant grass but I can't buy grass seed that isn't 10 pounds and costs $50!

All I want is a few grass seeds (maybe 30?) of 4 different varieties of grass. I've looked at my local gardening stores, but all they have are

the big bulk grass bags and cat grass (including oat grass and wheat grass) , but that's my last resort because nobody actually uses cat grass

on their lawn.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

I walked into bull grass seed store and askd what the cost would be for a small scoop. They gave me more than enough at no cost. When I offered to pay they refused because they want to support educators.