Menu

If you do AP exams...

Do you always purchase an AP course? or do you study the AP course material at home and prepare for the exam? 

I have designed several courses that I taught or guided at home that met AP criteria (mostly history/government).  One son did AP Computer Science with the online course from Amplify (now called Edhesive https://course.edhesive.com/). DS2 is doing AP Latin with The Lukeion Project.

I am doing two more syllabuses now (English Lit and US History).  DS2 is interested in self-studying for a couple more courses.  He seems to think he could get through Human Geography or English Language without doing a full course.  I think he's probably right on the English Language, but I'm not sure about Geography.

I've designed several AP courses myself.  My oldest has taken a few AP courses online this year but that has been for 1 of 2 reasons: using subject matter experts (foreign language and math are two such subjects) or at her request to facilitate transitioning to non-mom teachers.  Perhaps not everyone would need to subscribe to reason number two but I highly recommend considering reason number one when planning ahead.

My older ds has taken four AP tests so far. For two of them, he took the class at the local public high school (they allow part-time enrollment). The other two, calculus and physics, he did at home without an official syllabus. Luckily for us, the school is willing to let him take any AP test he wants, even ones for which they don't have a class.

• 5 months later...

I didn't like teaching to the test so I only got the kids to write APs where I knew we would cover the material. I used whatever I had planned to and then just got them to work through the Princeton Review book for the subject 2 weeks before. 

We used Sonlight and did use their Brit Lit course which was designed so that students could easily take the AP Lit afterwards. Mine also did AP Lang. All 3 did AP US History - s used a course which I devised and I now make available free to anyone (it's on FundaFunda.com).

One son taught himself Java and then wrote the AP Computer Science. Some did Economics, some did Government, some did Spanish (they did have a teacher for that) and one did Chemistry. They got between 3 and 5 on their exams (largely reflecting the effort they put in) and all ended up as AP scholars with distinction.

• Like 1