Menu

Is there anyone who prefers Singapore over math in focus (and not because of money)?

sunshineslp

I'm going to try Singapore standards for my 2nd grader but I keep hearing how MiF is easier to teach and less confusing with the concepts. So now I find myself thinking maybe it's a better option. Especially if I can get by with just the workbook and textbook, which it sounds like is totally possible.

Homeschooling mama of 4... Preschool 3, preschool 4, 1st, and 2nd:)

I've used both. I personally prefer Singapore Standards. However, MIF is a solid program. I feel it's a bit more cluttered than Standards, but if you have a kid that goes for big bright pictures, it would be a good option. 

I do like the hardback textbook feel of MIF. 

I don't think either is confusing with the topics. I could see how MIF might be considered easier though, because it typically is taught with the instructors guide. It also has that classic math text feel too it, like I said. 

• Like 1

Yes, there are lots of people who prefer 'regular' singapore over MIF.   Myself included.  

BUT---if you ask 15 different homeschool mamas which is the best math program, you are going to get 15 different answers.   And, the most popular may not be what works the best for you.   ;)  So really it comes down to looking at the samples...and some good ol' fashioned trial and error.  

• Like 1

Thanks guys:) it seems that almost all reviews I've read have been comparing SM and MiF and MiF always wins... I just wanted to have opinions from people who actually liked SM more. I usually read that MiF has less conceptual leaps and is more incremental in that it teaches every step, more so than SM. I have the standards Ed and I think I'm going to like it. I've also read that MiF is actually more parent intensive than SM, which puts me off of it.

Farrar- wow that was not a helpful response nor was it kind. I read everything that comes across my feed and also search. I know SM is "preferred" but not in regards to MiF, I see a lot of people preferring MiF when I read reviews.

I wanted to hear from people who had used both but preferred SM still. I hadn't seen that in my search.

Edited by sunshineslp

I thought the original question had merit and did not have an obvious answer.

I have used several math programs already (son in K) and I'm not sure which is a good fit for my son and me as a teacher.

It isn't always obvious what is the preferred math (or LA or Science or anything really) based on reviews and forum posts. I've searched and searched, and read and read on the forums and so on. I get the feeling that after being in the forums for several years one gets a sense for what the consensus is. But, at least for me, it isn't obvious because I didn't start reading lots of posts until this year as my oldest is K. Do you know how many times I have to stop reading to try not to ask a silly question and try and Google/search what in he world CLE is? Or MM, SM, CWP... I could keep going but seriously. Navigating the forums requires a lot of guessing and head scratching at first. It's like reading the texts a teenager wrote.

There's a thread that explains these acronyms but I've never been able to open it. So I'm left trying hard not to ask what is ETC (which I ended up doing) in fear someone would roll their eyes at the newbie.

My feeling is that generally people like SM, MM and CLE. Those seem to each have their fans. Even though there's a small community that prefers Abeka and several others. Does Abeka have an acronym? I have no idea.

I had never even looked at MiF and now I have yet another possibility to research. So, thank you for the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the original question had merit and did not have an obvious answer.

I have used several math programs already (son in K) and I'm not sure which is a good fit for my son and me as a teacher.

It isn't always obvious what is the preferred math (or LA or Science or anything really) based on reviews and forum posts. I've searched and searched, and read and read on the forums and so on. I get the feeling that after being in the forums for several years one gets a sense for what the consensus is. But, at least for me, it isn't obvious because I didn't start reading lots of posts until this year as my oldest is K. Do you know how many times I have to stop reading to try not to ask a silly question and try and Google/search what in he world CLE is? Or MM, SM, CWP... I could keep going but seriously. Navigating the forums requires a lot of guessing and head scratching at first. It's like reading the texts a teenager wrote.

There's a thread that explains these acronyms but I've never been able to open it. So I'm left trying hard not to ask what is ETC (which I ended up doing) in fear someone would roll their eyes at the newbie.

My feeling is that generally people like SM, MM and CLE. Those seem to each have their fans. Even though there's a small community that prefers Abeka and several others. Does Abeka have an acronym? I have no idea.

I had never even looked at MiF and now I have yet another possibility to research. So, thank you for the question.

I like you [emoji2]. It's hard sometimes to ask a genuine question that seems obvious to others. I didn't think my question was all that odd, but to others I guess it was obviously a silly question. I like SM and plan to give it a whirl, however, from recent posts it seems 90% of the time people say that MiF is easier and more parent friendly. Oh well, I'll just figure it out for myself. The abbreviations ARE irritating, I still don't know a few and I've been on here for years [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can purchase MIF student textbooks for really cheap used on Amazon. Usually they are in almost brand new condition.

Since you already own Standards, you could purchase one of the textbooks and compare them both to see which one you prefer teaching from and which one your child prefers.

I vastly preferred Standards over MIF. That is with the HIG, I would never try to teach SM without the HIG.

Me too, but I never used MiF, I just looked at a friend's MiF and did not like how cluttered it was, and the Singapore Standards with the HIG is clear and simple to teach. The HIG for the US edition is not as good. I used Math U See for K and a bit of first for my daughter and have used standards for both kids after that, MUS did not work well for us, and I think Singapore teaches the concepts better. MiF teaches the concepts well, too, but I did not like the format.