Menu

Math - RightStart and Math-U-See

Bay Lake Mom

I have 2 daughters, aged 5 (K) and 7 (2nd grade).  I need advice from those with experience using Right Start Math and Math-U-See.  My 7 yo dd has been doing Singapore, and is currently in 2A.  We don't like it, and now they want her to "using her friends" measure things in meters.  Well...  that's not going to work.  We've been leaning towards Math-U-See.  She watched the demo, took the placement test and she seems to like it.  She knows how to add (with carrying) and subtract (with borrowing).  The placement test recommended that she start in Alpha because she doesn't have her addition facts memorized.  Any thoughts on this?  I would hate to place her too low if it's not necessary.

My 5 yo has developmental delays, and math is going to be a challenge for her.  She can't write numbers.  She can count to 10 most of the time well.  She can't identify numbers in print.  She has a difficult time staying focused.  I was leaning towards Right Start Level A for her because of the hands on activities and games.  I think they will keep her engaged.  Any thoughts from experienced RS Math users?  ... particularly users working with special needs kids?

I am open to other suggestions as well.  TIA

There is a subforum here for special needs. You could split this topic and get targeted info from some really experienced parents if you asked about your youngest child inn that board.

As for your eldest, couldn't you take a few weeks and focus on the math facts? Going from doing well in 2A to Alpha seems a little drastic if the primary reason is number facts.

• Like 1

I've used neither but I wanted to mention that there are programs out there that are intended to begin in 3rd or 4th grade if you wanted to just wait with your little one. Strayer Upton and Saxon 5/4 come to mind. Saxon now has a K-3 but they were written later, 5/4 is the original starting point in the series. Then you could stick with just the RS games for a few years until she'll have an easier time if you want. Also, RS B covers everything RS A does if you wanted to wait a year. Good luck deciding!

If I recall correctly, MUS Alpha introduces adding and subtracting while Beta is the level that teaches addition/subtraction with regrouping to mastery. If your daughter has mastered those skills, she would place into Gamma* wouldn't she?

(or whatever is next since I don't know my Greek alphabet all that well)

Call RightStart, they can help with the placement. I'd think if she passed all the other questions for A except having the facts memorized that level B would be fine but my experience is with edition 1 (which does start from the beginninb in level B, but I don't know about edition 2...)

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Thank you for the suggestions.  I called MathUSee about my 7 yo.  They advised that we should start with Alpha because she still does addition using her fingers.  They recommend going through Alpha at a quicker pace to get her to master facts. 

I would still like to know if anyone has experience using Right Start Math with a special needs kid.  Her delays are due to years of medical treatment and visual impairment.  She hasn't been diagnosed with any specific learning disability.  We haven't pushed for testing, though.  I didn't realize there was a specific board for special needs, so I'll try to post on there as well.  Thank you!

• Like 1

It sounds like you may be using the Singapore teacher guide instead of the HIG (home instructor's guide). The TM is meant for classroom use, while the HIG is for home schoolers.

That said...

I use MUS with my oldest DD because of her LDs, specifically math-related. It is VERY incremental, especially in the Alpha and Beta levels.

MUS would not be my first choice of curricula for an average or above student. It will get the job done, but it is pretty basic math. It's like the nuts and bolts only. Some kids really need that. But I personally prefer more depth and exploration with math.

Plus, it has the unique scope and sequence which can be a problem if your state requires elementary standardized testing.

If you are going all in, go ahead and buy Alpha and breeze through it with your 7 yr old. But have Beta on hand. Likely, your 7 yr old will bore quickly with the Alpha level.

I DO sometimes use parts of MUS with my younger boys, prior to introducing a concept with Singapore (our primary math). I like how MUS lays a good foundation, and it pairs well with Singapore.

I have no experience with RS, and can't comment on it.

I've used MUS Primer and Alpha as well as RS B and C (2nd edition). I'll start by saying I haven't worked with a child with special needs. I can't speak on that and what will work or not. Also, I find that math curriculum choices are very individual to the child and teacher. What one child loves another could hate.

We didn't have a great experience with MUS. As previously stated, it's very basic. My dd thought it was boring and for some reason the blocks just did not click with her. She hated it. After completing all of Alpha, she still didn't know her addition facts.

We went through Ellen McHenry's Professor Pig series (free), which was AWESOME for getting her to start memorizing her addition facts. Because of our success there, I decided to move on to RightStart. It's a lot more hands on with a variety of manipulatives. The abacus is so versatile, and we love all the games. The RS program is so much more incredibly dense than MUS.

I would think that your dd7 could easily jump into B (you may even want to call them and help you place her). My dd finally solidified her addition facts after completing B. RightStart also prevents them from counting, which (if she's using her fingers) it sounds like she will benefit from.

If you're looking for something for JUST memorizing addition facts, I recommend Professor Pig (above) or Addition Facts that Stick . Kate is on the forum here and also has a solid preschool math program. Buying all of Alpha for addition facts seems ridiculous to me unless you KNOW you're going to love it and use it again.

I have two first graders (6 year olds).  They both did Singapore in Kindy and finished 1A late last summer.  At that point, my dd needed to do MUS Alpha because she just wasn't able to move on with Singapore 1B.  My ds has just now finished 1B.  I let him watch his sister's MUS videos, which he enjoyed and asked to do.  It helped him with memorizing his facts.  And I pulled my dd into some of my son's work such as time and money where MUS Alpha was lacking.  MUS really helped my daughter.  But it would have been pointless for my son.  In fact, I just started them both on Xtramath.  My daughter actually does better at quick recall of her addition facts.  So.  Not sure if that helped but I wouldn't backtrack to Alpha just because your daughter hasn't memorized facts.  Find an easier supplement to fill that hole.  If she did fine in Singapore, she doesn't need the entire Alpha curriculum.  

For your 5 year old, have you looked at MUS Primer?  Or the Singapore kindergarten options?  I'm a curriculum junkie and tend to jump ship too often, so I've tried a lot of different math considering I only have two (almost 7!) six year olds.  I went through a phase where I thought my kids would use RS B for 1st grade.  I bought the entire expensive thing.  It was a bust with both of mine.  Waste of money and time.  But, it works well for some.  I will say the card games were great.  My still play Go To The Dump for the ten facts.  They enjoy the game.

I used RightStart with a special needs child (autism, adhd; he has no math disability, but his attention for math is particularly dismal).

I used RS A through 1/2 of C with him. He would lose focus on me very early in a lesson. This is a problem for any math, but RS had warm up/review material in the front end of the lesson. By the time we got to the meat of the lesson, he was fading or out of attention completely, and forget any other new stuff that might come later. This was using the original RS. I don't know if the new edition is structured differently. He has no interest in playing games--math or otherwise. So from that angle, it probably wasn't the best fit for him. But it did give him an excellent foundation--in place value, in problem solving, in basic operations.  So if I were rewinding I would do it again with him.

Why not use RightStart with your 2nd grader? You could get a sense of whether it will work for the younger as well, and just play around with the early concepts with her. It's a really strong program--equal in caliber to Singapore (better in those early levels imo/experience).

Edited by sbgrace

Level A of Right Start isn't 100% necessary.  I started my oldest with level B without having had any formal math prior.  It is parent intensive, though.  You can't plop her down in front of a video lesson like MUS.

I'd do the placement test for the programs you're interested in and go from there.

• Like 1