Menu

DE first foreign language at CC in grade 11?

So, I have several different curricula for teaching French, but we never got to it & although I could speak it years ago (lived overseas for 2 years), it's been a long time & Im not excited about teaching it to a reluctant kiddo.

Thinking of having his first exposure be at CC in grade 11 (he's in 10 now). I know the pace will move fast, but he needs a decent teacher & outside accountability.

We can try to get some beginner Intro done over the summer before he starts so it's not all totally new...

There should be other beginners in French 101, right?

Tell me this idea isn't atrocious, please:)

Anything I'm not thinking of?

Thanks

I think he'd be fine.  I took Spanish for the first time ever last year at CC and they do start from the very beginning.  Even my old brain, that does not take to learning a new language at all, still made an A.  My DD took Chinese as her first ever DE class and still passed, although she said Chinese was pretty hard.  

• Like 1

Hmm, if he can't get into it or it conflicts with something else, maybe he could take one online from a homeschool provider? Not sure how that would work for a language.

Will have to look around.

I know Middlebury has one.

Or, I could just get over it & teach it myself- at least I'm outsourcing a bunch of other stuff next year. Sigh. I may go broke, lol.

I can definately prep him some before he starts. We have duolingo & Breaking the Barrier on the iPad. And Galore Park, and.... Others.

Should go fine.

I'd opt for a through English grammar review before if possible. It helps a lot to REALLY know the difference between adjectives/adverbs, verb tenses, and cases. I used to chat periodically with the Spanish professor at the local community college in the faculty work room, and she always said that it went smoother for students who had some background with that. She actually discounted prior language study unless it had been grammar-centered.

• Like 1