Menu

How long after exposure to head lice...

AimeeM

... do I need to be concerned?

I just received a call from my mother that my niece has head lice. We were around this niece for about 3 hours at a baby shower (held in a restaurant) about 3-4 weeks ago. We did hug on niece, and my children did play with her and her brother.

Thus far, none of my children have complained about any symptoms. I just checked DS6's head and nothing that I can see. I'm going to check DS3's head, too.

It's been a long, long time since I've dealt with lice. My children weren't rolling around with my niece or anything, but I'm not sure how long after exposure we need to be watchful.

I'd have shaved the kids bald before I hung up with my mom!

Just kidding. Get some lice shampoo if you are concerned, but I think that you'll be fine. Its usually within 2-3 weeks that you see lice if they are there.

• Like 1

I'd have shaved the kids bald before I hung up with my mom!

Just kidding. Get some lice shampoo if you are concerned, but I think that you'll be fine. Its usually within 2-3 weeks that you see lice if they are there.

My mother, no joke, suggested I shave the boys. 

No, thank you. Last resort. Lol!

It can take 4-8 weeks to have an obvious case. I would comb out everyone at least 2-3 times with a metal nit comb and conditioner. If you aren't seeing anything, I wouldn't spend hours, but 15 minutes going through the entire head in 4 sections and multiple directions. You can easily miss an early case of lice.

We found lice on our kids' hair about 6 weeks after exposure. 

I never had lice growing up, so I didn't really know what to look for. I looked online, and checked their scalp a few days after exposure (our kids had been at their house playing in the snow and they later found out they had lice), and didn't see anything. 

Once I found lice, I buzzed the boys to 1/4" (lice can't live on anything less than that) and began lice combing with an appropriate metal comb (not what you get at the drug store - buy a good one online) every evening. Most lice are resistant to today's lice shampoo, so don't bother. For myself, I put up my hair with coconut oil in a shower cap for 24 hours and then combed out with a lice comb in the bath and that took care of it. If my girls got lice again, that is what I'd do.

Remember, lice don't spread disease. They aren't a sign that you are dirty. They are annoying, but that's it. Also, if your girls had their hair in braids, you are probably safe.

We gave lice to our best family friends. They have two girls and a mom with waist length hair. They basically spent a whole day combing and were clear after that.

Emily

• Like 1

Me and DD had our hair in buns, not braids. Not sure if that helps, lol.

I'll be honest. If I find lice, I'm likely to call a service to take care of it. I'm going to do some prevention assuming we've been exposed.

Coconut oil and a metal comb... will this work for boys' hair (i.e. short hair) as well? Does it need to be overnight or can it be for the duration of a day (wake to bed hours)?

Edited by AimeeM

We just dealt with this...we caught it early, probably the same week. I called in a company. For real. We all got lice a few years ago and it almost sent me over the edge so this time I called in help. The lady came in, found them in my girls hair and treated them. I had to comb every night for 2 weeks. I seriously hate lice. Ugh. Totally worth the money.

So I've checked all the kids at this point. With the boys, nothing - no lice that I can see, or nits, or bites. DD14 is more difficult because she has always had a terrible scalp (is it a redhead thing? Lol), but nothing that I can see. 

I'm going to assume that since we're about 4 weeks post-exposure, and I haven't found anything, some prevention would work vs. full-on "call in the lice peeps"?

I'll buy coconut oil and a heavy metal comb tomorrow morning.

I'll be honest. If I find lice, I'm likely to call a service to take care of it. I'm going to do some prevention assuming we've been exposed.

:001_smile: I didn't even know there was such a thing.

You're probably find by now.  All I did was wash their bedding and treat their heads.  I put their bed pillows in the dryer on high heat.  All stuffed animals, throw pillow and throws I piled in a corner and they weren't allowed to use them until this was over.  Lice can't live off the head after a certain amount of time.  I'm thinking 2 days but that may not be correct.