Menu

Cursive workbook

JustEm

There are a lot of things you need to consider with this. And even then, you may still search. I am currently on my 4th writing program... or we will be once it arrives. 

As a parent you need to decided on what is important for you as a teacher to teach your child. You also have to decide what font you think is the best for your child. More upright, slanted, loopy, flourished, 2 for Q or Q? Do you want something that focuses on stroke style vs just jumping in to it?

Can you tell I have been researching this over and over ad noisome? I have looked at historical handwriting, I had my grandmother, mother, step father, and husband all write the same sentence to see the differences of handwriting. I have also went to my son's german language principle and asked what they teach in Germany in case my son wants to study there later. That prompted a whole conversation on why homeschooling was evil. That isn't what I am paying them for, so I just hushed up and left with the information they gave me. 

I am waiting on this: https://www.zaner-bloser.com/zaner-bloser-handwriting-grade-2c 

There are a lot of things you need to consider with this. And even then, you may still search. I am currently on my 4th writing program... or we will be once it arrives.

As a parent you need to decided on what is important for you as a teacher to teach your child. You also have to decide what font you think is the best for your child. More upright, slanted, loopy, flourished, 2 for Q or Q? Do you want something that focuses on stroke style vs just jumping in to it?

Can you tell I have been researching this over and over ad noisome? I have looked at historical handwriting, I had my grandmother, mother, step father, and husband all write the same sentence to see the differences of handwriting. I have also went to my son's german language principle and asked what they teach in Germany in case my son wants to study there later. That prompted a whole conversation on why homeschooling was evil. That isn't what I am paying them for, so I just hushed up and left with the information they gave me.

I am waiting on this: https://www.zaner-bloser.com/zaner-bloser-handwriting-grade-2c

That is a lot to think about! The zanerbloser book was actually the only one on my radar when he told me today he wanted to learn cursive.

One consideration I have for which workbook is how much letter practice it contains before starting words and sentences. A whole page on one letter is just too much repetition for my son. I haven't come across one that has several letters at once that still shows arrows.

A lot really depends on what cursive you find appealing.  I wanted something that looked nice without being overly "loopy" (technical term!  Haha).   

Both my first and 2nd kiddo's have used A Reason for Handwriting, Book C.  It introduces each letter, then there are words and bible verses to copy if you like.  It also has a ton of lined pages at the back with cute borders that can be colored in.  My kids love these pages.  We tend to just introduce the letter formation for each letter and then transition in to copywork.  We have tweaked a letter or two, like the upper-case "K" and the lowercase "p" because I was taught them differently and I prefer my way.

We're using Pictures in Cursive. There's not a lot of practice, which is a common negative comment about it, but since we're starting very gently in 2nd grade, it's fine for now.

I agree with PP who said first you need to decide what you like in a cursive program, mainly look and style of letter formation. That information with help you best decide on a program.

There are a lot of posts in this forum about cursive. You could do a simple search to find a lot of information. Happy hunting!

I'm coming to the conclusion that handwriting selections have as much to do with personal preference as anything else. I've read dozens of forum threads on the topic, trying to decide which direction to go with cursive. There are opinions about methods and ease of use, but a lot are very child-specific.

That said, my 'artistic' almost 8yo asked to learn cursive and we were using HWT for manuscript, so I stuck with it. Her cursive is very true to the book, but we both find it rather unattractive and she'd like to make a switch. I read another dozen forum posts, then showed her a sample and we ordered Pentime and are waiting for it to arrive. I leaned toward Zaner-Bloser, but there seem to be a lot of writing assignments in the cursive book and I'm not looking for any of that - just straight copywork. Looking forward to seeing how Pentime works out - I plan to show her some alternate ways to form some of the capitals, since I don't love all the Pentime versions. Everything else looks nice, though.

Edited by indigoellen@gmail.com
  • Like 1