Menu

Vacations in 2016

bettyandbob

I know people IRL who are doing some exciting things.

I discovered this morning I will not be working Fourth of July weekend. It looks like the last weekend free (and only summer weekend) before dd goes to college. I came home from work today to book three nights of camping at the beach (state park).

Would you believe all sites with electric available were booked already? I'm going to get new air mattresses or something. In the past we've used the electric to blow up our mattresses that had slow leaks--re inflating daily.

Anyway, get a jump on your plans. Put something fun done to look forward to.

• Like 3

We are going to a waterpark hotel which Ds has been asking for the last two years. That is our end of Lent trip and the big one Ds and I do together.

In September we are planning on hiking the Long Trail. Not exactly a vacation, but totally exciting!

I would like to Burn this year since Ds is finally old enough, but I don't know if I can swing the $$$.

• Like 1

I know what you mean about needing to book early. It took me a full 5 years to realise I need to book Christmas holidays before October (when I start thinking about thinking about Christmas). For the last 6 years dh has had compulsory leave over Christmas / New Year, so that's been our holiday time - not what I'd usually choose.

Last year I booked in February!

This year we're going to Europe in December, but the flights aren't open yet. For now I'm using Visit a City to plan out itineraries and figure out how long we need in each city.

• Like 1

Arizona to visit family. It might not sound too exciting to people out west, but to those of us who live in the lush farm country of the east, the desert of the American west is completely fascinating. We have only been there once and were content to just drive around looking at the barren landscape. It was like another planet. We loved it. Can't wait to go back!

• Like 4

We thought about visiting Quebec City over MLK weekend, with a day of skiing at one of the local-ish mountains. It's a bargain to visit right now. However, once we saw what it was going to cost in passports (ours have all expired and they would've been rush at this point) we quickly killed that idea. So sad that we need passports to visit Canada :(  I imagine it must have affected tourism from the states when they did that.

Our other vacations are already planned. This winter we have a short ski weekend in VT planned, as well as a week in FL at Cocoa Beach, which is new to us. We usually go to Disney. So we are looking forward to a relaxing beach vacation instead.

We have ressies to camp in Acadia (ME) but we're not 100% sure if we will go or not. We go to Martha's Vineyard every summer, though I don't count that as a vaca as we are with my in-laws :tongue_smilie: We hope we can fit both in but not sure if dh will be able to take the time off.

Ummm.... I think we might go to Detriot for a few days to see the Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village, Detriot Zoo, the new aquarium (ok not so new it's been open for about a year now), Lego store and who knows what else. We also plan to take the truck camper out somewhere (perhaps up to my mom's)

Hoping to spend a long weekend in Pittsburgh this spring and maybe a few days in Boston. My ILs are talking about taking us on an Alaskan cruise in August. That would be wonderful and if it happens we won't fly straight back. I've never been on the west coast and I'd really like to see some of it.

• Like 1