Menu

Is anyone else baking/cooking today?

Nothing today - but yesterday I broke in my new Lodge porcelain-lined dutch oven with a GREAT pot roast! I love to have the beefy 'taters that cook with the lump of meat! And the day before I made hubby his yearly plum pie (when little Italian plums show up in the store it is pie-time!).

I'm making chicken croquettes with leftover chicken. I'm making spinach balls (appetizer) for tomorrow. Two of my children have baptismal anniversaries and one has a saint feast day this week. We celebrate these days more than birthdays, so I'm making a special cake.

I have a whole chicken cooking to debone. I think we might do homemade donuts for breakfast tomorrow. I'm in the mood to make something. Maybe a coconut cream pie!

Hmm...what's baking at your house?

Phlox

Can I have your homemade donuts recipe? If you're making them on Saturday for a Sunday breakfast, that sounds like something that would be a hit around here!!

Thanks!

Can I have your homemade donuts recipe? If you're making them on Saturday for a Sunday breakfast, that sounds like something that would be a hit around here!!

Thanks!

No problem, I've only made this recipe one other time, but I had made another one before that and I did not like the donut, but the glaze is taken from it. The donut was too yeasty the first time, but we liked this recipe. Also, I make the dough up in the bread maker, shape the donuts & put them in the fridge. On Sunday morning, I let them sit for about 20 minutes and then I fry them up. I do this before I shower and then shower afterwards.

We do eat them leftover on Monday just as well though, so don't feel you have to do them on Sunday morning (we just have church later, so I'm not pressed for time)

Raised Donuts

2/3 cup milk

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup butter (softened)

1 large egg

3 1/2 cups flour

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

2 1/2 teaspoons yeast

vegetable oil for frying

glaze or sugar

Put ingredients except oil into bread machine bakng pan in order recommended by manufacturer. Select dough cycle. Do not use delayed cycle.

After complete, roll dough 3/8" thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut with donut cutter, cover and let donuts rise on board 35-45 minutes (at this point I put them in the fridge, covered well. Heat 2-3 inches of oil in deeep fryer or heavy saucepan to 375 degrees. Fry 2-3 donutes at a time for 2-3 minutes, turing as they rise to the surface until golden brown. remove from oil, drain on wire rack. Roll warm donutes in sugar or dip into glaze. Glaze 1/3 cup butter, 2 cups confectioners sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. 4 tablespoons hot water, or more as needed, melt all on the stove.

Enjoy!

Phlox