Menu

Mid year reports? (Common App)

JanetC

The Common App lists the main due date for each school, but not a date for the midyear reports. Do I have to contact each school to find the midyear report deadline?

DD is at a school on the quarter system: She has first quarter grades now, and second quarter grades in late March. Do I need to do two midyear reports -- one for each quarter?

Thanks!

I'm wondering some of the same things about mid-year reports. DDs first semester is finished, so I have the transcript updated... except for the GPA.

I'm assuming they want a re-calculated GPA for only the half-year?  :glare:  Or would just letter-grades suffice? :D  (calculating GPA is NOT my favorite thing to do in this world. I'd much prefer to save it up for the end of the year if given the choice...).

A follow-up question on midyear reports...

What if you have already been admitted?  Still submit mid-year grades?  How do you tell if you need to?

Even if your child has been admitted, I'd recommend submitting the mid-year report.  Most acceptances are contingent upon successful completion of the student's senior year.

Regards,

Kareni

Dd has some of her grades (the DE classes) but not others (the PS class.) One of her colleges requires an update by January 1st as part of the application, so I filed an Update with an updated transcript reflecting only the semester grades she has received. Then I will file the Mid-Year update in a few weeks when she has every first semester grade. I did not recalculate the GPA for the Update, though I will for the Mid-Year update.

Edited by angela in ohio

I went ahead and did a Mid-Year Report for the Common App today.  I added in the semester grades for the CC DE courses.  I recalculated gpa.  I added in the SAT Subject test scores, even though the schools that care will have already gotten them directly from CB.  I also indicated that there had been a course change and uploaded a second document that had a cover sheet explaining the change and the reason for the change.  It also had a second page that I labeled as a Course Description - Supplement that had the description of the new course.  For the other courses, I indicated that they were home based courses graded on an annual basis and would have grades on the final transcript.  

I intend to do a couple hard copy versions of this tomorrow to send to the three colleges that aren't CA schools.  

The three schools that have already accepted DS are all CA schools.  One more school is a CA school. He just finished the app today, the regular decision deadline, but it's his reach school.  The three non CA schools all haven't made an admissions decision yet, so I want to make sure they see his 1st semester CC grades.  He will also have official transcripts sent to the four schools that haven't made an admissions decision yet.

• Like 1

I'm wondering some of the same things about mid-year reports. DDs first semester is finished, so I have the transcript updated... except for the GPA.

I'm assuming they want a re-calculated GPA for only the half-year?  :glare:  Or would just letter-grades suffice? :D  (calculating GPA is NOT my favorite thing to do in this world. I'd much prefer to save it up for the end of the year if given the choice...).

Entered dds earlier today -- and I re-figured the GPA. :) Once I convinced myself I was doing it correctly (that's always the struggle), it was much easier than the last time I tackled it. So hopefully it will only take me 5 minutes at the end of the year. :)

I intend to put “In Progress†and update at the end.

I put IP for In Progress on anything that didn't have semester grades.  

In addition to the transcript, I included a second upload with a short explanation of one course change and a course description for the new course.  You could also write a narrative explanation that you upload with the mid-year transcript.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For the Mid-Year Report, I have:

1.) added senior year semester grades, adjusting total amount of credit earned so far (transcript)

2.) calculated new unweighted and weighted GPAs (transcript)

Is this all I need to do?

Also, when do I need to send official AP and SAT 2 scores?  He'll have more to add at the end of this year and don't I just send official scores to the school that he will be attending?

Edited by swimmermom3