Menu

Calming a dog

Night Elf

My vet isn't answering the phone and I'm worried they aren't open this week. What to do? My dog goes crazy when cars come into the driveway and when people come into the house even if they stay downstairs. We're having major work done on our house starting on the 29th and will last for 3 full days. She's going to go beserk! They'll be working outside, probably, too, so I'm not sure if I can let her out. I'll ask them to warn me when they are going in the backyard. But what can I do to keep her calm? I was wondering if there was a doggie mickie finn. I can't imagine anything truly working. I'm going to try calling my vet again today. Maybe they were just busy when I called, but I didn't realize they don't have a voicemail. Can anyone recommend something?

Do you have any "doggy day care" places around you?  Those are places where a dog can go 9-5 (or regular business hours) but not a traditional kennel. They may have some room.  Ours are called either doggy day care, doggy spa, or dog's day out.  We used a place like this when our house was for sale and people were traipsing through the house all day long.

• Like 1

I finally got my vet on the phone. They recommended a product called Composure and said they sell a lot of it. Does anyone know about that?

I've never tried it, but I've heard good things about l-theanine (which appears to be the main ingredient).

I wouldn't recommend Rescue Remedy.  In my rather extensive experience it's totally useless.  I've lost count of how many dogs and cats I've tried it with and it had zero effect on.  If you want to try it I'd recommend having another calming product on hand.

Valerian and melatonin are calmatives that work for some dogs and can be picked up at any drug store.  Dosages are available at lots of online sites -- just do a search.

Benadryl (plain diphenhydramne, not a combination decongestant product) makes most dogs really sleepy.  There are a few who have the opposite reaction, though.  Dosage is generally 1 mg. per pound of body weight, but you can go a bit higher if necessary.

If you're going to try Composure or something like melatonin or valerian I'd recommend going ahead and starting it.  Most things like that work best if they have a day or three to build up in the dog's system.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1