Menu

Holiday worthy corn in a crock pot?

ksr5377

I have been assigned to bring corn to a gathering tomorrow and am looking for a recipe.  It's a 2 hour drive and we'll be eating lunch.  We won't be able to cook anything there but I will be able to plug in a crock pot.  Generally for holidays I try to make food a bit more special than what I cook every day.  Does anyone have any good recipes that will work in a crockpot or should I just throw in some butter, salt and pepper and be done?

I'm not fond of creamed corn, so I would probably make a corn salad instead.

I'd use a lot of frozen corn, thawed and thoroughly drained, in a very coarse, fresh chopped up salsa--quartered cherry tomatoes (drained), diced celery, shaved fennel bulb, finely diced red onions, thinly sliced green onions, maybe a little fresh, chopped mint, definitely fresh, chopped Italian parsley, and a champagne wine vinegar vinaigrette with a little kick to it from a slight overuse of white pepper and a pinch of chili powder. 

Drat, that sounds really good.  I'm going to have to try it.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

Years and years ago (long before going low carb), my inlaws came to our house for a Christmas dinner. I made this recipe and it was wonderful. I'd totally forgotten about it until now.

Gulliver's Corn

2               bags  frozen white kernel corn (defrosted). (I like to use one bag of white kernel corn and one of yellow.) -- (16 oz each)
  1 1/2           cups  whipping cream.
  2                tsp  salt
  1                tsp  sugar
  3               tbsp  flour mixed with 3 tbsp melted butter or margarine
     1/3           cup  grated Parmesan cheese

Butter an ovenproof baking dish. (I like to use those disposable foil pans since I'm generally bringing the dish to someone else's house.) Set aside.
Sprinkle 2-3 tbsp parmesan over the butter, tilting the pan to distribute the cheese.
Bring the whipping cream to a boil. Reduce the heat and add corn. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in salt and sugar.
Make a paste out of the butter and flour, and stir into the corn and cook until the mixture boils and thickens.
Turn corn into oven proof dish, sprinkle with cheese and dot with butter.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown.
(Note that this dish can be refrigerated for up to 4 days before baking.)

• Like 2