Menu

US History Curriculum Recommendations?

Guest ATSmith

Guest ATSmith

We are finishing up The Story of the World, I would like to do US History next. I'd like one that acknowledges America's Christian roots without diving into the "America is God's chosen country" stuff. Upper Elementary age. Any recommendations?

What Christian roots does America have?

I'd suggest one that is based on primary resources.  Think Like A Historian has a good set up for American history, easily supported with historical fiction (Learning Adventures has a good, manageable book list.).  Or working through Mrdonn.org for a more hands on approach.

Have you looked at Sonlight?  Their American History cores (D and E) are some of the most popular. I've heard really excellent things about the books selections - so even if you don't use the whole core you could incorporate some of the books.

http://www.sonlight.com/DCD5.html#included-items

http://www.sonlight.com/EC5.html#included-items

• Like 1

All American History by Bright Ideas Press. It is laid out well and easy to implement. The teacher's manual includes literature suggestions and other ideas. There is a volume 1 and 2. 

ETA: it is written for middle school but is adaptable for younger or older

Edited by jewellsmommy

I have found Guest Hollow's free history curriculum to be a great resource for teaching American History in upper elementary. After years of SOTW, I was ready for something different. We use some of the ideas from Guest Hollow, read a lot of books from various lists, and we try to watch great videos that we can find. We are watching Liberty Kids right now and the kids are loving it.

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/americanhistoryindex.html

• Like 1

I'd suggest one that is based on primary resources.  Think Like A Historian has a good set up for American history, easily supported with historical fiction (Learning Adventures has a good, manageable book list.).  Or working through Mrdonn.org for a more hands on approach.

Do you have a link for Think Like A Historian? I have tried to search it but I an getting to many different results. I think the phrase is too common and it isn't narrowing down to the actual curriculum. I did find Reading like a Historian but that appears to be for older students.