Menu

Favorite version of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table

King Alfred Academy

I am looking for your favorite version of a King Arthur story. I am going to have ds7, who is a great reader, read this for his independent reading time. We are studying the Middle Ages so it'll tie right in with history. He will have a much as 8 weeks to get through it if he needs it (reading 5 days for 1/2 hour).

I looked into Howard Pyles but the book I found had really small print. Maybe I could find a different one. Also looked at Roger Lancelyn Green's but I am not sure he needs to know that much detail. I am sure dh will break out Mallory's story at some point and read excerpts.

So, what is your family's favorite version/story?

Thanks!

My ds is 12 and he is scheduled to read Pyle's King Arthur shortly. I read it this summer and also started to read the version by Green to compare. I did not finish the Green version - I decided I didn't need to make more work for myself. We're using History Odyssey and it suggests Pyle.

Here are some thing I found:

The Book of King Arthur by Pyle is in larger print. It is the first half of The Story of King Arthur and His Knights which is in smaller print. I'll actually have ds read the former, then switch to the latter. These books were originally written early 1900s and it takes a little to get used to the dialect. After a while though, it seems much more poetic than our language these days. I also found the Pyle version "cleaner" than the Green version. I don't think Pyle even got into Lancelot & Guinevere or Mordred.

HTH!

My favourite version is actually The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart, but I would leave it for older children (12 or so) and it is probably not the pure King Arthur you are looking for. We actually were given this book for first year highschool- year 7 here, I was 11- and it just set my heart afire for King Arthur from then on. I am about to hand it to my ds12 to read as we start our next Medieval year. Then again, if you are considering Pyle, maybe it is not too hard for your 7yo. I wouldnt like to waste such a good book on a too young child though!

I really liked The Crystal Cave too, but, for some reason, always think of it as a "girl" book. :confused: I can't remember anything specific - just have that impression. Maybe because there was some romance? I'll have to dig it out again. I think it's a trilogy too.

We read it in high school, around 10th grade (15 - 16 years old) for fun.

Let me know how your son likes it.

This is a great suggestion! We have read some of her other books and have enjoyed them. I'm going to look into these further! Thank you!

My ds is 12 and he is scheduled to read Pyle's King Arthur shortly. I read it this summer and also started to read the version by Green to compare. I did not finish the Green version - I decided I didn't need to make more work for myself. We're using History Odyssey and it suggests Pyle.

Here are some thing I found:

The Book of King Arthur by Pyle is in larger print. It is the first half of The Story of King Arthur and His Knights which is in smaller print. I'll actually have ds read the former, then switch to the latter. These books were originally written early 1900s and it takes a little to get used to the dialect. After a while though, it seems much more poetic than our language these days. I also found the Pyle version "cleaner" than the Green version. I don't think Pyle even got into Lancelot & Guinevere or Mordred.

HTH!

I so much appreciate your review! He is very much a "words" kid and enjoys "fancy language" (his term, not mine :001_smile:). I will look for The Book of King Arthur and check to see if the other has larger print. Thank you!

My favourite version is actually The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart, but I would leave it for older children (12 or so) and it is probably not the pure King Arthur you are looking for. We actually were given this book for first year highschool- year 7 here, I was 11- and it just set my heart afire for King Arthur from then on. I am about to hand it to my ds12 to read as we start our next Medieval year. Then again, if you are considering Pyle, maybe it is not too hard for your 7yo. I wouldnt like to waste such a good book on a too young child though!

I am definitely going to file your recommendation away for the next rotation. I may even read it myself soon! I like King Arthur too! Thanks!

Rosemary Sutcliff's. It is broken into 3 paperback books and doesn't focus as much on the love triangle as some others.
We loved these. I even learned a new word:

grailloched (I believe this is the spelling she used) -- the disemboweling of a deer or like animal

Her take is for the most part faithful to Mallory, with a few other stories thrown in. Warning though: Arthur's tryst with his sister and Lancelot's relationships with Elaine and Guiniver are critical elements in the story. There is, however, no graphic sexual detail.

We loved these. I even learned a new word:

grailloched (I believe this is the spelling she used) -- the disemboweling of a deer or like animal

Her take is for the most part faithful to Mallory, with a few other stories thrown in. Warning though: Arthur's tryst with his sister and Lancelot's relationships with Elaine and Guiniver are critical elements in the story. There is, however, no graphic sexual detail.

Thanks for the heads up! I am going to seriously look into these!

Drew, I will be teaching the Green book to sixth graders in the next few months. Which chapters are you doing? Is there a reason for doing only a selection of chapters?

I like the Green book. My students enjoy knowing that he was first C. S. Lewis' student and then his peer.

If you're looking for fun books but may not be as accurate or realistic than Rosemary Sutcliff or Mary Stewart both of which I think might be too heavy for a 7 yr old, you could try "The Squire's Tales" series by Gerald Morris.

I think he's just come out with an even younger series of books.

Drew, I will be teaching the Green book to sixth graders in the next few months. Which chapters are you doing? Is there a reason for doing only a selection of chapters?

Mostly it's just a matter of wanting a chance to read a variety of books during the year. I picked the chapters that contain the best known stories, but I'm encouraging the kids to read the other chapters independently. From what the parents have told me, I think most of them are doing that. Here's our schedule for this fall:

Week 1: The Two Swords

Week 2: The First Quest of the Round Table

Week 3: Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Week 4: Sir Tristram and the Fair Iseult

Week 5: Sir Percivale of Wales

Week 6: How the Holy Grail Came to Camelot and The First Adventures of Sir Galahad

Week 7: The Adventures of Sir Percivale and The Adventures of Sir Launcelot

Week 8: The End of the Quest

Week 9: Launcelot and Guinevere

Week 10: The Plots of Sir Mordred and The Last Battle

HTH!