Menu

King-sized bed, but you & spouse have separate blankets?

8circles

We have a King size bed and two different blankets.

We have a King size beautiful one that we put on when we need it to actually look "made" up.  Otherwise it just sits folded on our bench at the base of the bed.

PS:  We also have a Split King and use two XL Twin sheets.

We lived in Europe when first married - loved the duvet/cover for each person. Have never looked back. When we sleep in other beds when visiting or on vacation it actually kind of bothers me now not to have my own blanket.

We each take a small blanket along when we travel.

Buying inexpensive sheets might not make it too expensive, but the amount of fabric needed is very expensive. I once considered making some myself and it was just too expensive.

No IKEA here and their shipping is ridiculous.

We get them from Germany, but shipping also makes it expensive. Well in fact we have to get them from Germany because we got the blankets from Germany. So the sizing isn't the same.

It would just be nice to have some new ones, but damn they are expensive. I just don't understand why.

My parents gave me some a few years back but the T was too expensive to buy the right sized duvet, so I may have donated them. I'll look and If I still have them and are the right size, they're yours if you want them. They were plain white, I believe.

Eta: they're from Slovakia so I assume standard euro size. They're several years old, but never used.

Edited by 8circles
  • Like 2

My parents gave me some a few years back but the T was too expensive to buy the right sized duvet, so I may have donated them. I'll look and If I still have them and are the right size, they're yours if you want them. They were plain white, I believe.

Eta: they're from Slovakia so I assume standard euro size. They're several years old, but never used.

We have twin sized blankets.  Or whatever they call that size in Germany.  Not sure.

That's very sweet of you.

• Like 1

I doubt they'd hold up eight years though.  My stupid cat kneads the blankets and eventually the covers start to get shredded. 

When we moved to NZ,  I bought 2 sets of 2 single duvet covers each for our bed + 2 single summer weight inners, 2 single fall/spring weight inners, & 1 single winter weight inner.  The only thing I have replaced is I bought myself a new multi-season inner (summer & fall/spring weight inners that snap together to make a winter weight inner).  I will get dh a new summer weight inner at the end-of-the-season sales for this coming winter.  Our duvet covers are still quite usable even after 20 years, but I did need to replace our fitted bottom sheets about 5 years back. 

When we moved to NZ,  I bought 2 sets of 2 single duvet covers each for our bed + 2 single summer weight inners, 2 single fall/spring weight inners, & 1 single winter weight inner.  The only thing I have replaced is I bought myself a new multi-season inner (summer & fall/spring weight inners that snap together to make a winter weight inner).  I will get dh a new summer weight inner at the end-of-the-season sales for this coming winter.  Our duvet covers are still quite usable even after 20 years, but I did need to replace our fitted bottom sheets about 5 years back. 

None of mine held up anywhere near that long, but that was in part the cat and in part years of using a top loading wash machine.  That seemed to be very rough on stuff.  But now we have a font loader and that seems far less rough.

I can't do anything about the cat though.  Other than get rid of her.   I kinda like her too much to get rid of her.

We are a happy king-sized bed two twin duvet couple. Also, German influenced. Our bedroom never looks like the American dream bedroom of matching curtains, covers, shams, dust ruffle, etc. We're more utilitarian. 

Dh got some high quality duvet covers in Aldi in Germany. I wish they would offer them here. Here we buy from Ikea and haven't really had any problems with fit.