Menu

Coffee lovers, help me out please...

creekland

My mom is one of those difficult people to buy for and we've come up with the idea of getting her a coffee sampler of some sort.

BUT... I detest coffee, so have no personal experience - absolutely none.

I know she used to be more of a coffee aficionado, grinding beans and all, but the last few years she's pretty much switched to "whatever."  I'm thinking she might like to return to her "cool coffee" days.  At this point though, it has to be ground already as I haven't seen her grind beans in years.

Any suggestions on what to buy - perhaps a sampler or something?

Must be ground.

Must be available online unless it's between southern PA and Baltimore (as I'll be there a couple of times between now and Christmas).

I've looked a bit at Amazon, but have no idea what might be good or not and for some of them, I can't tell if they are beans or ground.

ANY suggestions are welcome!!! 

• Like 1

I'd suggest finding a local coffee place and buying local or semi-local roasted beans.  I'd stick with a medium roast unless you know she likes dark, etc.  They may have some kind of assortment just for Christmas.  Pair it with a nice mug and it's perfect.  (I'm a mug girl. Give me the perfect mug for my hand and I'll love you forever.) ;)

• Like 4

Possibly buy her several different brands of Colombian Coffee.  My wife is from the main coffee growing region in Colombia,  Only the highest quality coffee is exported from Colombia.  The coffee that we buy/drink here is excellent, but it is a lower quality than what is exported.  The brand we buy/drink now is Sello Rojo which is a strong coffee. Before that, for years, we bought/drank Aguila Roja. There are various other brands.

http://www.amazon.com/Aguila-Roja-6150-Cafe-500-grs/dp/B005CJCTAI

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_10?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=colombian+coffee&sprefix=colombian+%2Cgrocery%2C568

http://www.colombia.travel/en

Coffee is grown somewhere near where we live, but I do not consider this to be a Coffee growing region. The main crop in our valley is Sugar Cane. Pineapple and Rice are also grown locally.

• Like 1

I agree with Blsdmama, find a local roaster and have them do a gift basket for you.

Www.hermansboy.com is localish for me. Yes I made up that word.

They have amazing coffee as well as tea, candy, nuts, kitchen gadgets, cheese, bagels, etc.

Call them and they will put together a basket and ship it for you.

We have our favorite coffees but we like strong coffee my choices may not be great for your mom.

They roast their own and grind it as they package it.

• Like 1

Baltimore Coffee is in Timonium, right off 83. They make their own coffee there and have every flavor you could possibly imagine. I'd go there, if it is not too far. I can get you the address, if you'd like.

Please do send me their address if you have it (or I can google it later - I have to hit the shower now in order to be decent transitioning from chores to youngest's birthday plans).  I'll be in the area Monday, so it sounds perfect!

Thanks Hive!!!

I really do love the depth of knowledge and suggestions one can get from here - this time assisting this coffee-challenged wannabe gift-giver who spent way too much time on Amazon unsuccessfully trying to figure out what seems to be super "basic knowledge" with the Hive.

All of these ideas sound great.  I just happen to be heading to Baltimore already on Monday, so that suggestion appears to be custom made.

• Like 1

Baltimore Coffee is in Timonium, right off 83. They make their own coffee there and have every flavor you could possibly imagine. I'd go there, if it is not too far. I can get you the address, if you'd like.

Just updating that this place was perfect... thanks again for the suggestion!

https://www.baltcoffee.com/

Updating here in case anyone else in the area is curious.  ;)

Oh, and we stopped at Bagel Works down the road for lunch - very tasty - so an additional recommendation if anyone wants one...  I'm stuffed. ;)