Menu

Baking soda and apple cider vinegar to wash hair?

Does anyone do this? I've been reading some info on using a solution of baking soda (one cup of water to 1T of baking soda) to wash hair...and, 1-2T of ACV to one cup of water as a rinse...both in spray bottles.

Well, I tried it for the first time last night and my hair feels very heavy and UNclean! Not washed at all. I did put a little aloe juice in with the baking soda...maybe that was a no-no.

Anyone? Any opinions on it's effectiveness?

Thanks!

~Holly

I hadn't heard to put the baking soda in a spray bottle. there are a few threads on it here - i'm pondering it because i'm allergic to something in a lot of shampoos. I have one that i can use - but they changed the formula.

I think it also took a few days to get "on the clean side" of it when switching to doing it.

I've been using just baking soda for awhile now...2 months maybe? I dump about a tablespoon of baking soda on my hand. Let a little shower water get it wet and plop it on the top of my head. Then I try to scrub it in and forward toward my bangs, lifting my hair with my fingers. Usually I get a little more baking soda and repeat on the sides/back of my head. Then I rinse it, running my fingers through to get out all the tangles. My hair is longer, maybe 6" past my shoulders, and fine. I don't use conditioner at all anymore.

I am honestly amazed that this works and works so well for me. Although, it might not work for every hair/scalp type. If you want to try again -- just try plain baking soda...no aloe, no vinegar, no spray bottle! :)

I use shampoo bars and occasionally clarify with baking soda, and use a diluted lemon juice rinse (have used vinegar). But I noticed that it took about a month of using the shampoo bars to get rid of the very strange texture and feeling of my hair. I think, depending on what types of shampoo and conditioner you have used in the past, there can be a lot of buildup that takes awhile to get rid of completely.

We've done this for years. But, as someone mentioned, it takes 3-4 weeks for your hair and scalp to adjust. For a great explanation, google 'why go no poo' or something like that.

I use an old water bottle with a sports bottle top for the ACV so it squirts on.

Aggie

I have been doing this for 3.5 months, with success. I use about 2 tbs baking soda, mix to a paste and scrub it into my scalp for a minute or so. Then I rinse.

I use lemon juice instead of vinegar, because I am blonde. I think the biggest mistake here is using too much and not rinsing properly. It leaves your hair greasy if you do this- the bicarb is alkaline, the vinegar/lemon juice is acid, and you want just a slight acid ph on your hair, not a lot. Just use about 2 tbs vinegar/lemon juice (I use about half a lemon squeezed), put into about a litre (pint? ) of water, used as a rinse, then rinsed out with shower water.

It certainly makes my hair a little dryer than good quality shampoo and conditioner, but its worth it not to use all those chemicals. And my hair feels healthy and is shiny.

If you have split ends, or just dry ends, you can just a tiny amount of coconut oil on your palm, rub your palms together and then rub onto the very ends of your hair. My hair is very fine so I can only do this sometimes, and only a tiny bit of oil- if youhave dark hair (which has thicker strands, generally) your hair can handle more oil.

for the first time, I did the baking soda thing.

I added 1 T to a cup of water, rubbed on my hair then added shampoo and rinsed it out.

My grandma found an article today about doing this but it didn't say anything about using it in a spray bottle.

I really don't know since it's the first time I tried it.

Maybe try it without the spray bottle and see if you like it better.

Good Luck :001_smile: