Menu

Parents of Sophomores: When is your student taking the SAT?

In reference to this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/sat-tutor-says-dont-take-the-new-sat-2015-3

I am just feeling really confused.  I hate that there is so much potentially riding on one test.   I know there are options, but I have a student who wants to apply to selective schools, and he needs to take the SAT.  He is a sophomore now, and hasn't taken it yet.  

What are your thoughts?  I know this has been discussed, I am just revisiting the issue now because I am trying to plan ahead.  This is really the only option.  I don't think he can wait until Spring of 2017 to take it.  

Also, what do you guys think about taking it more than once?  How many times is optimal and when did your student start? 

My current sophomore will probably graduate early, which means she'll be applying next fall so her testing needs to be done by next September at the absolute latest. She didn't want to be caught up in the old-new SAT transition so she is taking the ACT this week. She will take it a second time if she doesn't get the score she wants.

Older kids:

--ds took the SAT once, March of his junior year. He had a score in mind and beat it :)

--older dd took the SAT twice. She was disappointed by her first score (March testing of her junior year) so retook it in June and did very well.

• Like 1

I am just feeling really confused.  I hate that there is so much potentially riding on one test.   I know there are options, but I have a student who wants to apply to selective schools, and he needs to take the SAT. 

He does not have to take the SAT. The ACT is accepted by all colleges as well.

With the changes, I would opt for the ACT until the dust has settled.

• Like 6

Our state requires a yearly nationally-normed achievement test for homeschoolers. The ACT counts for this, but the SAT doesn't, so she takes the ACT yearly at this point anyway. She did take the PSAT this year as a sophomore to see how she fared with the new test, and will take it again next year to try for National Merit. If she scores well enough on the PSAT (scores from this year not in yet), I may have her take the new SAT as a practice once it comes out. She has scored really well on the ACT already, so, unless she is in the running for NM or does substantially better on the SAT than the ACT, I don't know that I'll have her take the SAT again. 

All the schools we've seen so far, including the selective schools, seemed happy to take either the SAT or ACT, and did seem to want more from those with the SAT (taking SAT subject tests, for instance).

• Like 1

My current sophomore will probably graduate early, which means she'll be applying next fall so her testing needs to be done by next September at the absolute latest. She didn't want to be caught up in the old-new SAT transition so she is taking the ACT this week. She will take it a second time if she doesn't get the score she wants.

Older kids:

--ds took the SAT once, March of his junior year. He had a score in mind and beat it :)

--older dd took the SAT twice. She was disappointed by her first score (March testing of her junior year) so retook it in June and did very well.

Thanks for sharing!  I am glad to hear that, because I was worried I was behind.  So is your current sophomore not going to take the SAT at all then?  As long as she gets the score she wants on the ACT?

Do you think there are any schools at which it would be a hindrance to not have an SAT score?  (and only have an ACT score, is what I mean)

He does not have to take the SAT. The ACT is accepted by all colleges as well.

With the changes, I would opt for the ACT until the dust has settled.

Okay, that's good to know.  I was really thinking that I had read that some schools really do want the SAT, despite saying that either the ACT or SAT is acceptable.  So do you think we can just plan to completely skip the SAT?  I'm confused about the timeline with regards to when we need to have all of this testing completed.

Whatever testing you choose to do (be it ACT, SAT, SAT subject tests), I suggest aiming to get it completed before senior year starts. That won't be realistic for all, of course, but senior year can be somewhat overwhelming between courseload, activities, and the college application process. If the student is completing very many applications, the essays can end up being quite numerous.

All the schools we've seen so far, including the selective schools, seemed happy to take either the SAT or ACT, and did seem to want more from those with the SAT (taking SAT subject tests, for instance).

Just to be sure we're all understanding, I think that colleges that require or encourage SAT subject tests usually ask for them from both SAT and ACT takers.  SAT subject tests are usually more of a test of a high school course content rather than a more general test.  (There may be some exceptions, as always, for individual colleges.)

Just to be sure we're all understanding, I think that colleges that require or encourage SAT subject tests usually ask for them from both SAT and ACT takers.  SAT subject tests are usually more of a test of a high school course content rather than a more general test.  (There may be some exceptions, as always, for individual colleges.)

I agree. Most of the schools on my junior's list require SAT II's regardless of whether the SAT or ACT is submitted. There is only one school on his list that does not require SAT II's if the ACT is submitted, but does require SAT II's if the SAT is taken.

I have seen from several schools the requirement for SAT subject tests unless the student has an ACT with writing score. The essay portion on the ACT is optional; if taking it gets the student out of the SAT2 subject tests, it is well worth it.

(I fail to see any logic behind this requirement,  because the SAT subject tests test content knowledge, whereas the essay is just an essay)

Some schools, especially top tire ones, require a certain number of subject tests form all applicants.

?  I'm confused about the timeline with regards to when we need to have all of this testing completed.

College applications are done during fall of senior year. The first fall test dates may get the scores in on time if the student doe snot apply Early Action/Early decision, but it adds stress to an already busy time, so I would strongly recommend to plan being done testing at the end of Junior year.

Doing the first round of tests in fall/ winter of Jr year allows for additional tests or retakes in spring of jr year.

• Like 2

College applications are done during fall of senior year. The first fall test dates may get the scores in on time if the student doe snot apply Early Action/Early decision, but it adds stress to an already busy time, so I would strongly recommend to plan being done testing at the end of Junior year.

Doing the first round of tests in fall/ winter of Jr year allows for additional tests or retakes in spring of jr year.

I agree. Also, both the SAT and ACT folks had glitches this year that prevented scores from tests taken this fall to make it to the schools in time for the EA/ED rounds. If your student plans on applying in the early rounds, I would have a goal of being done with testing by the end of junior year so you won't have to worry about the all-too-common screw ups by the ACT and CB.

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing! I am glad to hear that, because I was worried I was behind. So is your current sophomore not going to take the SAT at all then? As long as she gets the score she wants on the ACT?

Do you think there are any schools at which it would be a hindrance to not have an SAT score? (and only have an ACT score, is what I mean)

She won't be taking the SAT at all. If she were to have four years as a high schooler, then she would have taken the PSAT as a junior in hopes of scoring well for National Merit, followed by the SAT. I have let go of that plan despite the thought that she'd be a very strong NMSF contender :)

Dd will still take two or three SAT subject tests, starting with Bio-E next month. Some schools require subject tests from everyone despite SAT/ACT, other schools do not require subject tests if someone takes the ACT, and still others "recommend" (which means require) subject tests from homeschoolers. We're trying to cover all options since dd doesn't have a final college list yet.

• Like 1

Yes, junior year is fine. I just had mine take the "old" SAT last weekend for a data point. We'll figure out a strategy from there. I considered this more of a practice run, but we'll see. Her brother did so well on the practice run in the spring of his junior year that he didn't retake it. That and his AP and SAT II scores were plenty to get into a "top 25."

Keep in mind that some schools are saying that for fall 2017 and beyond, they'll take only the new SAT or ACT. "Old" SAT scores won't count.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that some schools are saying that for fall 2017 and beyond, they'll take only the new SAT or ACT. "Old" SAT scores won't count.

Oh that is interesting and good to keep in mind.

So, if you wait until Spring of 2017 to take it though, as a Junior, that would only leave you one opportunity to take the test, right?  I was hoping we'd be able to take it a few times, for practice, as he hasn't had much practice taking standardized tests.

Would you consider taking the new SAT in 2016 just to see, as practice?  Or would you not want to do that because some schools want to see ALL scores no matter what?

Does it matter to schools if you take the ACT withOUT writing?  Do they see that as slacking?

So if we were going to try for the ACT instead, should we try that soon, like spring of 2016?

What do you think about the new availability of taking the ACT online?  Do you think that is a good idea or not?  Will the writing portion also be online or will that have to be handwritten still?

Thanks for entertaining my many questions as we sort through these decisions!

Just FYI in the SAT vs ACT decision, if your student may be in the running for a National Merit Scholarship, he will need to take the SAT at some point.

If you don't want to wait until the spring of 2017, why not take a test (either SAT or ACT) the fall of 2016 first?

• Like 1

I just tried to go online to see some things about test availability, and I have to create an account to see availability at the testing center local to us.  I tried calling the school where it is proctored, and they couldn't tell me if it was online or the paper version for their testing site, which seems a little weird that they wouldn't know that.  Anyway, is there any reason not to create an account, just to see what is available, even if we wind up never taking the ACT?

Just FYI in the SAT vs ACT decision, if your student may be in the running for a National Merit Scholarship, he will need to take the SAT at some point.

If you don't want to wait until the spring of 2017, why not take a test (either SAT or ACT) the fall of 2016 first?

Oh right!  Thank you.  I wasn't thinking about that also.  Yes, he will definitely want to try for that.  Hmm.  So, then that would mean taking both and prepping for both.  Maybe not as good of a use of time.  I don't want to wait until Spring of 2017, but everything I am reading says don't take the SAT in 2016 at all.  So, I guess I just want to know, what are the possible consequences of taking it anyway just for practice?  I am thinking that one could be if you apply to a school who wants to see all scores, that could affect your application in some way.  But I don't really know.

Oh that is interesting and good to keep in mind.

So, if you wait until Spring of 2017 to take it though, as a Junior, that would only leave you one opportunity to take the test, right?  I was hoping we'd be able to take it a few times, for practice, as he hasn't had much practice taking standardized tests.

Would you consider taking the new SAT in 2016 just to see, as practice?  Or would you not want to do that because some schools want to see ALL scores no matter what?

Does it matter to schools if you take the ACT withOUT writing?  Do they see that as slacking?

So if we were going to try for the ACT instead, should we try that soon, like spring of 2016?

What do you think about the new availability of taking the ACT online?  Do you think that is a good idea or not?  Will the writing portion also be online or will that have to be handwritten still?

Thanks for entertaining my many questions as we sort through these decisions!

This is all speculation of course, but in that case I would take the SAT in the fall of 2016 so that you have time to do it again in the spring of 2017. There's some talk that although taking it in the spring of 2016 is iffy, they might get their act together for the fall. You never know with the College Board though.

Or just go with the ACT and don't worry about the SAT. Personally, I would do the writing part "in case." 

As I said earlier, my junior did the "old" SAT last Saturday. We'll have to figure out what to do from there. I'm not concerned about admission because she's likely to go local, but academic scholarships require the scores, and we can use it for our annual homeschool testing.

BTW Her brother did very well across the board, but decided in the end to go local versus the more selective schools. It's been wonderful for him, and he has been struggling with medical issues this fall including surgery/PT that make me glad that he took that option. He also was very unsure of a major, but has now declared one. So just because they test well and could go to a selective school doesn't mean that's the right choice in the end. We took some flack for that, but I have no regrets.

• Like 2

Just to be sure we're all understanding, I think that colleges that require or encourage SAT subject tests usually ask for them from both SAT and ACT takers. SAT subject tests are usually more of a test of a high school course content rather than a more general test. (There may be some exceptions, as always, for individual colleges.)

What I have encountered are some schools that want Subject Tests from all applicants. Usually 2-3 subjects. Sometimes specifies as to which tests. The ACT would not meet this requirement.

Other schools wanted to see Subject Tests from homeschoolers only. One local university wanted to see 5 subject tests or a GED or an ACT. In this situation the ACT would be a much better choice for my kids.

I've also seen schools that would use the ACT for placement or to verify lab science courses for homeschoolers.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 2

For a student applying to selective schools I'd consider some of the following.

Check the school websites to see if they require SAT Subject Tests. He might want to take some in spring of 10th grade if he is finishing a related class then. He can take 1, 2 or 3 subject tests in a sitting. Some recommend taking the test just as you finish the course so the material is fresh.

PSAT in October of junior year. If he is applying for very selective schools he may also be in the score range to qualify for National Merit Scholarship. PSAT is only given in Oct. younger students can take it (or now the PSAT10), but the Junior year test is used for qualifying for the scholarship. See if your high schools are doing the PSAT10 this spring. Get registered soon because the school control PSAT test registration and may have limited seats available. This would give him a practice on the process and new revised content.

SAT or ACT testing throughout junior year with a goal of having scores done by June of Junior year so they are in hand for use in early applications. Early admission deadlines are typically in Oct or Nov and the fall scores may be too late to help. If he's applying to a service academy he may want strong scores by Dec-March of Junior year so he can put them on apps for summer leadership programs.

My sons took the SAT twice in high school. They took the ACT once. They took the PSAT three times 9-11 grade because the local high school had all students take it and were welcoming of mine too.

The schools I've looked at were happy to either take the best sitting or to superscore across sittings. We did not pay College Board for Score Choice. I'm less familiar with ACT scoring. I think the student picks which sittings to send and pays accordingly.

There are solid practice books and sites out there. You can replicate some of the test experience like the time pressure and question intricacy at home. Khan Academy has partnered with College Board to give free test prep.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

I had daughter #2 (oldest was out of the country junior year, necessitating one SAT fall of senior year, which I do NOT recommend) do both the PSAT and SAT fall of junior year. She was prepping for PSAT anyway, so essentially ready for the SAT without much additional effort. She would have done additional SATs in the winter/spring of junior year if needed, but her score was high enough that a single sitting was fine. It really was such a lifesaver during senior year to have that done. She did her SAT subject tests throughout the course of high school; two freshman year and two sophomore year.

• Like 1

How on Earth is the ACT supposed to verify lab science courses???

In the same hyper accurate way that asking for a one-page description of a single lab experiment does, which is the default means the school in question uses. In other words it is an administrative paperwork drill of little real value.

Homeschool applicants can use the subject test score or a cc course or the ACT science section in lieu of a write up. I think students had to document three lab courses.

Yes, so some of the schools do require SAT subject tests, and he plans to take those, but it was my understanding that that is unrelated to the SAT/ACT decision. You can take the ACT, not take the SAT, and still take the SAT subject tests. This is correct?

Yes the subject tests can be taken no matter what the testing history of the student is. On any given test date a student can take the SAT reasoning test or up to 3 subject tests.

In reference to this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/sat-tutor-says-dont-take-the-new-sat-2015-3

I am just feeling really confused.  I hate that there is so much potentially riding on one test.   I know there are options, but I have a student who wants to apply to selective schools, and he needs to take the SAT.  He is a sophomore now, and hasn't taken it yet.  

What are your thoughts?  I know this has been discussed, I am just revisiting the issue now because I am trying to plan ahead.  This is really the only option.  I don't think he can wait until Spring of 2017 to take it.  

Also, what do you guys think about taking it more than once?  How many times is optimal and when did your student start? 

Why do I feel like the article is just great hype for the test prep services? (I found myself considering if I should fork out $600 for his online test prep program, sigh...these things really play on parental fears).

We are considering this as either sophomore or junior year and hence, time to start thinking seriously about testing. He has taken SAT once before and it was a good gauge to see how much work he'll need for the real thing. As of now, he plans to take the Jan 23 test and possibly, the Feb ACT just because of what I've read about some students doing a lot better on ACT vs SAT. Hoping there will be some overlap in prepping the writing section for both (writing is where he needs most help). He has also started subject testing. We are aiming for a max of 3-4 SAT IIs, but that is because of what I've heard about the college (selective) he is targeting requiring more from homeschoolers and due to the fact that he isn't taking any APs. I've also heard to choose subject tests carefully -- the college he is hoping for suggests not taking a subject test if a student already has DE college level courses for that subject.

Really hoping to get all testing over by summer 2016 (if this is going to be junior year). Honestly, it is too stressful *for me* although kiddo seems okay so far.

• Like 1

In the same hyper accurate way that asking for a one-page description of a single lab experiment does, which is the default means the school in question uses. In other words it is an administrative paperwork drill of little real value.

Homeschool applicants can use the subject test score or a cc course or the ACT science section in lieu of a write up. I think students had to document three lab courses.

But this is even more ridiculous than the writeup since the science section does not, actually, test any science - it is a test of reading comprehension and interpretation of graphs and charts, something a student can do without ever having done a single lab.

ETA: In other words: I completely agree with your later post :-)

Edited by regentrude