Menu

Books for my son (15)

Does anyone have favorite recommendations?

He has read and loved:

Dune, Eragon (series), Ender's Game, Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, Redwall (when younger), Lord of Rings trilogy and Simirillon, etc, Lewis Space Trilogy,we loved the autobiography (both he and I) by Roald Dahl in Core 200 and he also recently read Eric Liddell's biography: Pure Gold for example.

Any kindred spirits with ideas?\

Thank you!

Dragon Lance series, Restaurant at the end of the Universe, Game of Thrones (racier than Dragon Lance & Dune), Steven King's The Stand and the Dark Tower series. The Narnia books if he'd still prefer YA instead of adult.

Has he tried any dystopian or post apocalyptic stuff? My almost 16 yr old likes that stuff too- not Hungerganes & Maze Runner so much, but adult series, like RM Stirling's Dies The Fire (the change) series.

Did he read all the Ender's books as well, it's a series too.

There's a Dawrves series that reminded me of Eragon. And a Wereworld series ds read around the same time last year. The Inkheart books were good too.

Oh, & Clive Cussler adventure books, Tom Clancy, the Bourne books.

Bernard Cornwell Viking books.

Pillars of the earth

Just some I can think of that ds has enjoyed in the last year or so after liking Dune, Eragon, & Ender's:)

At that age I think I read my way through Asimov's Foundation books. They're classics for a reason, even with the frozen in the 50s social norms. (And I believe there's an updated rewrite...?)

I also must say I recently enjoyed the Imperial Radch trilogy.

Let me think some more.

Just about anything by LeGuin should be good - I know I get tired of  intoning "Earthsea, Earthsea", but... well, Earthsea...! Or Lathe of Heaven, The Dispossessed, or Left Hand of Darkness, or to cycle back to YA, the "Gifts" trilogy.

He might enjoy A Confusion of Princes, though to be honest, I thought it was a little more shallow than I expect from that author.

I'm a definite fan of Stranger and Hostage, which are YA novels (I think it's going to be a quartet...?), but they can be hard to find in bookstores.

In the realm of epics, I also enjoy Monster Blood Tattoo, which has the same problem. Oh, but now, Leviathan by Westerfield is easily obtained.

I've heard good things about Wolf Mark, haven't had a chance to read it yet. Likewise for Zeroboxer, Soul Enchilada, and Shadow Shaper.

If he likes dystopias, you might try Ship Breaker or House of the Scorpion.

And, of course, you can do worse than to start him on Discworld. My first Discworld was The Truth.

Orson Scott Card has a new YA series.  The first book (of 4, I think) is Pathfinder.  I liked it.  :)  A few of Card's fiction works for adults are seriously creepy (there's one about a haunted house and another about a pedophile who hides the bodies, seriously creepy) so be careful about those, maybe.   

Also, I really like Brandon Sanderson, such as Elantris.  He's another author who makes a cohesive, alternate world and then plays with it convincingly. 

This is a LONG series, but might he like the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan? 

Has he read anything by Nancy Farmer?  My favorite of hers was House of the Scorpion--so much so that I still re-read it every few years.

Peak by Roland Smith is also really awesome--a lot of former students read and loved it.  It's about a boy whose dad wants him to be the youngest to scale Everest.

If you want to keep him busy for a while he might like the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.  They got my DH hooked in high school, and I just read them a couple years ago.

More JRR Tolkien:

- Smith of Wooton Major -- short story

- Farmer Giles of Ham -- short story

- Leaf by Niggle -- short story

- Children of Hurin

More CS Lewis:

- Till We Have Faces

- The Great Divorce

- The Screwtape Letters

Fantasy:

- The Never-Ending Story (Ende) -- incredibly creative; both Christian and Buddhist images

Sci-Fi:

- Invisible Man; Time Machine; War of the Worlds; Island of Dr. Moreau (HG Wells) -- you can't beat classic sci-fi!

- A Canticle for Leibowitz (Miller) -- Catholic author

- Anathem (Stephenson) -- very much echoes the structure of Canticle for Leibowitz, so it's fun to read these back to back (secular, but clean)

World-building series:

- Watership Down (Adams)

- Auralia's Thread quadrilogy: Auralia's Colors; Cynder's Midnight; Raven's Ladder; Ale-Boy's Feast (Overstreet) -- a Christian author

- Belgariad series (Eddington) -- a lot of teens enjoy this one; it just seems bland to me

- The Queen's Thief series (Whalen) -- books 1 & 2 are esp. fantastic; book 3 and esp. book 4 slip a bit in quality

- Leviathan, Behemoth, Goliath trilogy (Westerfeld) -- very lightweight "popcorn" read, but creates a very fun steam punk alternate WW1 world

- Bromeliad trilogy: Truckers; Diggers; Wings (Pratchett) -- very light, fast, funny

- Earthsea trilogy: Wizard of Earthsea, Tombs of Atuan, The Furthest Shore (LeGuin) -- interesting, well-developed world; book 1 & 3 heavily show LeGuin's interest in Taoism, while book 2 has amazingly strong Christian images

- Imperial Radch trilogy: Ancillary Justice, Ancillary Sword, Ancillary Mercy (Leckie) -- incredibly creative; loved books 1 & 2 -- book 3 unexpectedly takes a radical turn in direction and tone, which I don't think works ultimately; book 1 could be read as a stand-alone; any s*x is suggested/implied

I am loving the intricate world-building of Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles (Name of the Wind, Wise Man's Fears, and the *just* released Slow Regard of Silent Things), BUT, quite a bit of s*x in the last half of book 2 -- tastefully handled, but it may be more than your teen boy is ready for, so preview first.

JMO: I just can't recommend Game of Thrones (suggested above) to anyone, but esp. not to a teen. Yes, George Martin does a very credible job of creating a vast world and you never "get lost" in the vast array of characters/places of that world. However, his worldview is unrelentingly pessimistic, brutal, and negative. There are no actively kind, noble or "good" characters, and the few innocent characters (children) are quickly brutalized. The underlying goal of everyone else is to power grab. Overall, the writing is competent, but nothing outstanding, and frankly, the s*x scenes (about every 4th chapter) are embarrassingly ham-fisted, as if written by an inexperienced teen. I love fantasy and fantasy worlds, but I had to force myself to keep going in book 1, and finally at about 2/3rds of the way through, decided there was absolutely nothing about this world to make it worth it to keep being pummeled by George Martin.

Finally, while a few of the titles are for adults, I received a lot of good ideas in this thread I started back in the summer: "Any good sci-fi or fantasy book recommendations (pub. in 2000 or more recently?"

BEST of luck, as you accumulate your reading list! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

A couple of science fiction ones I didn't see above:

1. Philip K. Dick stuff -- like Ubik, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep; interesting to contrast with the movies

2. Post-apocalyptic that wasn't mentioned: Earth Abides -- I still reread this years later

Edited by tm919

He loves a good, intricate, meaty read and really loves Sci Fi and "alternate history"...

If he likes alternate history, he may enjoy some of the books by Turtledove, like the World War series or... um... that one about the South winning the Civil War. (Guns of the South? Not sure.)

Wow!! Thank you so much. Some great trails to investigate. ♡

Lori D., you are amazing as always. Exactly what I needed.

He loves a good, intricate, meaty read and really loves Sci Fi and "alternate history"...

Thank you!!!!!

Other alternate history:

*The Man in the High Castle 

*Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus (my husband despised this book, I enjoyed it in terms of just noodling over it; good when served with Guns, Germs, & Steel)
*Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell

I'd screen the following first before recommending them to a 15 year old, for sure:

*The Plot Against America

Edited by tm919

My ds (also 15) likes a lot of the same. He says your ds should definitely read the rest of the Ender's Game series if he hasn't already. He also  recommends the Big Three -- Heinlein, Clarke, and Asimov -- especially Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. A contemporary sci-fi author that he enjoys is John Scalzi. Try Fuzzy Nation to start with.

Edited by Cosmos