Menu

Elimnation diet, I'm actually figuring things out....

Prairie~Phlox

Not sure if anyone remembers, but I've been having issues with a lump feeling in my throat for a while, dh had a cousin that did an elimination diet and figured things out for other issues.  I decided that I really don't want to have a scope if I don't have to (did see a GI dr. and that was the first step.) Well since Saturday, when we got back for sil, I have been eliminating things and I am noticing some patterns.  I think raw foods are somewhat of a problem.  The last few days I've had rice, chicken and mushrooms for breakfast and similar stuff with cooked veggies for dinner, I had some plain lettuce Tuesday and I don't remember it being a problem (I really need to do a better job of keeping track.)  Anyway, I've noticed bananas, apples, I don't think so (I know it says canned only on the list) but I had carrots & cucumbers & celery last night and something there possibly is a problem. (the other food was pork, turkey and rice & Romaine, so I'm guessing it was the raw veggies.)  Canned pears are fine, I am feeling so much better as far as no lumpy throat feeling. Still some congestion, but not like I was dealing with before.  It gives me hope that I am recognizing things. Anyway, I just wanted to share, because I know you understand more than anyone what I'm trying to figure out!!

Kristine

Anyone have issues with raw foods?? any suggestions?  I'm still going to continue this and see what else I can come to a conclusion of.  I'm only the first week in, so we'll see what happens.

I'm open to advice.

• Like 1

Issues with raw foods may be something like Oral Allergy Syndrome.  I have OAS only when my environmental allergies are out of control, since the pollens cross-react. http://acaai.org/allergies/types/food-allergies/types-food-allergy/oral-allergy-syndrome

I'd figure things out, and then if you have insurance, go get some allergy testing done if you don't already know what your environmental allergies are.  For me, taking Zyrtec (over the counter) and Flonase (over the counter) allow me to enjoy a wider variety of fruits and veggies.

• Like 1

Since the lump in the throat can be caused by either acid or allergies (or a combination of both) you really need to figure out which one.  An elimination diet can help with that.  I would suspect acid if the foods causing the problems are spicy, tomato, coffee, chocolate etc. - ie foods know to cause acid problems.  You really need to keep a food log. 

• Like 1

I also suggest you keep a food log. Also, don't flip flop what you eat so much. It seems you've figured our a few foods that don't trigger a reaction. Eat just those, then add ONE food at a time, every 2-3 days. It's no fun, but then you'll have a clear cut cause and effect going on.

I don't quite remember your initial story, but if the reaction was fast, adding a new food every 24-36 hours might work for you.

HTH!

• Like 1

Definitely keep a food diary. Avoid anything that is a question mark for at least two or three weeks, then add it in small quantities in isolation every day or two and wait to see if you have symptoms. Try the next week or two with the next food. It's slow but methodical and will give you the data you need.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I've had everything checked I'll have to look at my levels and see what they were.

Yes -- double check your levels.  What is normal for some people is not a good level for all.  The book, "Could It Be B12?" recommends treating anything below 500 (for B12) as a deficiency and treating it.  Iron should be around 80 and folate around 16.

I definitely notice more problems with raw fruits and vegetables, and I have read information to that effect.  When I did an elimination diet I made sure everything I ate was cooked, even apples and peaches.  Then I tested them separately in raw form later.   I had a chart that listed foods from most to least allergenic and I recall that raw carrots were very allergenic, but cooked carrots were not.