Menu

Please Help with Survey for History Class!

Daylily

Hello, I have a survey that I have to do for my online 8th grade world history class (I’ve been homeschooled my whole life). We are currently studying ancient Greece and the democratic system in Athens. I need ten people to give their responses (Yes or No) to a question that I will post below. I also need a brief reason why you said yes or said no, and I also need you to list your gender and if you are an adult or a child (Under 18).

The question is: If a student is home-schooled, should a parent, guardian, or tutor be required by law to be present during school hours?

I realize that this really isn’t a yes or no question, however my assignment states that it has to be yes or no. You can explain your answer further when you give your reason for responding yes or no.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with my assignment!

No. Because as a previously homeschooling parent, we kept odd hours. As my son was in high school and alone for a few hours each day while I was in college. We schooled at 6pm on some days. So "school hours" is arbitrary and could lead to issues in many homeschooled situations. 

I also believe some of that is covered in laws about the ages children can be left alone, I know each state is different. There are also some cities with daytime curfews for students, I used to live near one. Never had an issue, but ds was always with a parent when we went out in public during the day in that city. 

ETA: Female, 48

Edited by elegantlion

Female.  42 years old.

No.

Homeschooling is inherently flexible.  Because it is, many parents are able to homeschool their children during unconventional hours. Some do unconventional hours so they can work while homeschooling.  Older minor children who meet the legal criteria for being home unattended, can get some school done while the adults are doing other things-working or running errands.  We don't require an adult to be present while older minor children are doing their homework, so why would we create different laws for homeschoolers? Children who learn to work independently usually make better students at the Jr. High, Sr. High and college levels.

If parents were denied the opportunity to homeschool because their work hours interfered with conventional school hours, then the taxpayers and public schools would have to take on those students at an average cost of at least $10,000 per kid, per year, with no additional funds coming in in states where there are no tax breaks for homeschooling.  I have yet to hear a ps teacher say they could use more students in their class. I have yet to hear a ps employee say that there are plenty of tax dollars coming in per student, so please send more without any additional funds coming in.

No

adult female well over 18 ;-)

I almost put Yes - since whether or not ANY child should be left home alone, homeschooling or otherwise, depends on the age and maturity level of the child. Most states have laws stating at what age a child is ok to leave home alone, too. I would certainly hope no one is leaving a homeschooled first grader home alone, for example, for any amount of time. A middle-schooler trusted to do his or her work and not mess around without supervision for a couple hours - okay. A teen, certainly.

No. Who is going to define school hours? Can schooling not occur outside the home? In the car? In a doctor's waiting room? A teacher/parent/tutor is not required for work to be going on. I also do not believe that any requirements should be put on homeschooling families as far as number of hours to school or topics to be covered. Basically, I do not feel that there should be any oversight whatsoever.

Adult female.

No, because the concept of "school hours" is pretty meaningless for many homeschoolers. And older, more responsible students are perfectly capable of completing schoolwork without adult supervision. If I would leave my 14 year old home after school while I ran errands or worked a part-time job, there is no reason I can't leave a same-aged homeschooler at home to do assigned reading or work on some math problems.

(Female, 51 years old)

Edited by Jenny in Florida

No. (To the question exactly as worded)

Problem 1: "school hours" is too vague to fit the paradigm of homeschooling. Does it mean 'the hours of the local schools'? Or 'the hours when the HS student is learning'? If it's family-defined learning-hours, how does a family define that? And how do they keep all learning within that designation?

Problem 2: independent work does not always require supervision, but it does require a workable form of oversight. Being present for every moment of learning is not (in my opinion) necesary for most students above a reasonable age -- but being mostly-absent is probably undesirable.

And, even so, being 'present' may encourage educational oversight, but it does not garuntee it. Therefore I would view such a requirement as: highly restrictive, for very little benefit. I am not in favour of it.

Adult, declined to give gender information.

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 1