Menu

What cookbook do you actually USE the most?

We have that cookbook! (And yes it is her real name - the story is here. As I recall, she is the daughter of Charlotte Zolotow - an incredible children's author, so she had an atypical last name to begin with... but her current name does make me feel less self-conscious about our dreadful monstrosity of a last name - dh and I made a last minute decision when we got married and created a horrible hypenated *thing* ... though at least we didn't yield to my mother's persistent teasing and toss out both our names and choose "Baggins"!)

haHA! I *knew* somebody would know! OK, I will go look at the story of her name (I love the snippets of her life found throughout the book; it sounds so fabulous!) and you must go make some of her greek green beans. we have been eating them about 4 times a week!

We have that cookbook! (And yes it is her real name - the story is here. As I recall, she is the daughter of Charlotte Zolotow - an incredible children's author, so she had an atypical last name to begin with... but her current name does make me feel less self-conscious about our dreadful monstrosity of a last name - dh and I made a last minute decision when we got married and created a horrible hypenated *thing* ... though at least we didn't yield to my mother's persistent teasing and toss out both our names and choose "Baggins"!)

OH, Eliana... I am laughing and crying while reading this link. Thanks!

Guest Virginia Dawn

My 26yo, battered, and falling apart, Betty Crocker.

ETA: I keep a loose leaf note book with recipes from here and the internet. I use that very often as well.

Add me to the list of Better Homes and Garden users! :001_smile:

But I love reading Alton Brown and Nigella Lawson. I've learned so, so much from both of them. For baking, it's Alton's I'm Just Here for More Food: Food x Mixing + Heat = Baking. I love Nigella's How to Be a Domestic Goddess, but I like the actual products from Alton better. My favorite Nigella is Nigella Express: 130 Recipes for Good Food, Fast. There's a lot of wonderful stuff in there!

I received a subscription to Cooking Light last year, and I've started adding some of those recipes into rotation. I just put Cooking Light Complete Cookbook on hold from our library, as well as The Food You Crave: Lucious Recipes for a Healthy Life. I have high hopes for both.

In general, I don't cook from books or specific recipes, as I really enjoy playing in the kitchen. But I definitely get into a rut, so I turn to books to give me inspiration. I cannot wait to check out The New Best Recipe! Thanks so much for this thread! :001_smile:

I use our giant church cookbook the most. Course I put a bunch of my favorites in there when they were putting it together. :)

Next would be the notebook/cookbook I made myself with recipes I keep finding on forums I haunt. I tried a lot of those new this last year, and they are now regulars in my list of family meals.

My Better Homes and Garden...when it starts to fall apart I buy the newest edition BUT then have to go through and clip out old recipes from my falling-apart version that are not replicated in the new version. I also have a reprint of the Betty Crocker Cookie Book from my childhood that has ALL my old favorites in it. it is my kids fav. cookbook!

http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crockers-Cooky-Crocker-Editors/dp/0764566377/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221746201&sr=8-2

I also have a folder full of clipped recipes and print-outs from the 'puter that I use a lot. I think Google would count as one of my cookbooks!!!! ;-)