Menu

computer word processing program for entering math equations?

AngieW in Texas

My 17yo has dysgraphia and also has a connective tissue disorder that makes handwriting very painful.

She already has an accommodation to type anything that is supposed to be handwritten for her cc classes, but she needs a way to type math equations.  Right now, she is struggling through handwriting to do the work and then typing in her final answers and providing her math teacher with the typed final answers and the handwritten work she did to get there, but handwriting to solve the math problems (especially laborious ones involving matrices) takes her a very long time and is physically debilitating. She can only work on it for about an hour at a time and then she has to lie down to relieve the intense pain.

I am looking for a word processing program or something like it that would enable her to actually do the work on the computer. I don't want something that does the math for her. I need something that will allow her to type in her work so that she can show the work she did to get to her final answer. She plans to major in business and will need to do a lot of math and will also need to show her work, not just her final answer. We need a way that she can do that without intense pain.

• Like 1

Check out Heather's thread from the LC board:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/575061-math-and-dysgraphia-apps-and-sw/

I have yet to get my ds typing equations. He dabbled in LaTeX when he was taking an AoPS class but never got fully proficient.

When I wrote up worksheets in the past, I preferred to use the equation editor in Microsoft Word, but I've had trouble since switching to Macbook.  My new Word on the Macbook (Office 2011) doesn't read the equations in my old files and I have yet to find a shortcut key for inserting an equation; using the menu every time is cumbersome.  I don't know whether it works better in Office 365; I'm too annoyed to pay the annual fee to find out.

Edited by wapiti

I was able to get the efofex program (that Heather mentions in the thread Lanny linked) for my son by writing a letter and sending a copy of his most recent evaluation. It seems pretty good, and is simple to use, but we haven't used it much yet because my son prefers to write on a whiteboard.

Edited by OnMyOwn

If she (and you) is/are up for a challenge and would enjoy doing it "right", the go-to program for setting equations in type is the LaTex equation editor. You can google up both the software (free) and tutorials, etc. My kids learned to use it for their Art of Problem Solving classes, and now my college girl *enjoys* sucking up to her engr/math professors by setting equations in LaTex. She says it is fun. :) It is more powerful and elegant than alternatives, from what I understand. 

Here is a link to AoPS's LaTex tutorial that my kids learned with. http://artofproblemsolving.com/wiki/index.php?title=LaTeX

Edited by StephanieZ