Menu

Brussels under highest alert, sad and angry at the same time

TravelingChris

I lived in Belgium for three years and visited Brussels fairly regularly.  They have shut down the metro this weekend and are telling people not to go to large gatherings like sports events, concerts, etc. This really makes me angry and sad at the same time and also somewhat fearful of what is coming to the US too.

Edited by transientChris

I lived in Belgium for three years and visited Brussels fairly regularly. They have shit down the metro this weekend and are telling people not to go to large gatherings like sports events, concerts, etc. This really makes me angry and sad at the same time and also somewhat fearful of what is coming to the US too.

It is awful but your post made me actually laugh out loud. Quite an amusing typo in it.

But back to your point, what is going on is terrible. I used to live in Paris. Thankfully my friends there are fine but obviously freaked out.

• Like 2

I lived in Belgium for three years and visited Brussels fairly regularly.  They have shut down the metro this weekend and are telling people not to go to large gatherings like sports events, concerts, etc. This really makes me angry and sad at the same time and also somewhat fearful of what is coming to the US too.

:grouphug:   I suspect this is going to be the new normal, and I share your fear that it's only a matter of time before it happens here.

• Like 1

'Brussel' should be 'Brussel Capital Area' in this context and is a conglomeration of 19 towns / villages / quarters

Only this area + Vilvoorde keep the 'level 4' restrictions.

In Flanders,

the Dutchspeaking part,

this weekend most football matches were played, the day of science continued, and we 'just' went to church this morning.

It feels odd to prepare for Christmas now.

Some homeschoolers are not sure what will happen to their exams this week.

Normally the examcommission makes no, not a single exception for their examinations.

They just continue their examprogram even when strikers 'close' Brussels, but now it would be a solid reason for a exception IMO, or to move to a safer location.

We are fine, just confused this all happens just after our exam last friday.

• Like 2

We're kind of waiting for something similar here...as Rome, Milan and Naples are all at a "higher awareness."  So far, nothing official for raising the threat level, or orders about sheltering in place, but we've been notified to be very mindful and extra vigilant.  I have a trip this weekend up north. 

Edited by LisaK in VA is in IT
  • Like 1