Menu

How do you consume Spirulina?

mathnerd

I have a box of Spirulina powder sitting around that I cannot bring myself to use up - I add a small amount to smoothies and I occasionally make a "green fried rice" using it. But, when I add more than a teaspoon full to anything, the food starts smelling like dirty pond water. I am trying to eat more "superfoods" and that is the only reason I bought it. Anybody know of a easy way to incorporate it without gagging on the smell? TIA!

• Like 1

It is awful. It tastes like a fish's rear end. It is better in pill form. I have added it to baked goods and smoothies but it is extremely hard to hide. Just add it in very mall amounts.

Yes, encapsulate it!

By holding my nose and gulping it down fast!!!

So true! I used to put it in orange just and chug it down just as you described.

The other thing I would do is add it to yummy balls made from chocolate powder, nut butter, honey, and ground nuts and seeds (or plus or minus the those ingredients) rolled into little balls and chilled. Not too bad. 

• Like 1

It is awful. It tastes like a fish's rear end. It is better in pill form. I have added it to baked goods and smoothies but it is extremely hard to hide. Just add it in very mall amounts.

Is it the same in a pill? Just as good for you? I had read the pills were a lessor form (cheaper/left over, not as good quality), but that was possibly more of an ad for the loose form.