Menu

WWE question: skipping, or powering through.

momma2three

If you're using WWE, do you prioritize "a lesson a week," even if it means skipping individual days within the lesson (so you don't really start the week until Wednesday, and you do "Week 11, Day 1", and then Thursday you do "Day 2", and then you're busy Friday, and the following week, you start "Week 12, Day 1" without having done days 3 and 4 of the previous week)?

Or do you prioritize doing each lesson in order, even if it means doing "Week 11, day 2" on Thursday and "Week 11, day 3" on the following Monday?  

If the latter, what about at the end of the year... do you end on Week 23 (or whatever) and start the next level the next school year, or do you start Week 24 the next school year? 

I've done both, and I don't think that it really matters.  I was just wondering what others do, out of idle curiosity. And I was just using lesson to mean the 4-day groupings of exercises, because I couldn't think of another word :)

Or do you prioritize doing each lesson in order, even if it means doing "Week 11, day 2" on Thursday and "Week 11, day 3" on the following Monday?  

We do this.  I figure that each day has its own purpose, so we make sure they get done.  Sometimes, we play "catch up" and do two days in one to get on schedule.

• Like 2

We are only on WWE 2 and got a late start this year (at least according to my plan).  I do the latter, but do skip the dictation day.  I do dictation through spelling. 

I'm with the pp, I think it builds on one another.

That's the beauty of homeschooling.  You can do it at your own pace.  Life happens and my oldest has two younger siblings he rather be playing with .  ;)

Our schedule is pretty regular, so it was easy to plan.  We did WWE M, T, W, F every week.  Thursdays are outside the house so we didn't do WWE that day.  The lessons were short enough that I we rarely got behind or missed a day.  If we did, then we just did it on Thursday.

I schedule make up days in our school schedule and if I get behind on anything we make it up on those days. If we aren't behind then the kids get a vacation.

If I were to somehow get 'off' I would not skip a lesson day, but just pick up where I left off and do the next one.

My DD is 2nd grade and we just started WWE 1 this year.  We do school four days per week and do WWE every day.  But we do day 1 and 2 on Monday, day 3 and 4 on Tuesday, then day 1 and 2 on Wed and day 3 and 4 on Thurs.  So we are going double time simply because she can handle it.  We'll finish WWE 1 by Christmas and then we'll start WWE 2.  I will probably slow it down at that point or go this pace if she wants to. She loves WWE.  She gets really excited about the passages.  And since we are in the middle of FLL 2, the copy work is all review so she can tell me about the sentence before I have to teach her anything. 

I think any way you decide will work....whatever is best for you all!  

In levels 1 and 2, it's really easy to double up, but I'm finding that's a lot harder to do in Level 3.  I usually doubled up 1 and 2, but for Level 3, I'm finding that we're skipping a bunch of the dictations, because so many of the reading/narration ones are also dictations, and I figure that's more important.  And then after we do that, I don't really see the point in making her do a second dictation that day.

We do this: "Or do you prioritize doing each lesson in order, even if it means doing "Week 11, day 2" on Thursday and "Week 11, day 3" on the following Monday?  "

I started WWE2 late last year and finished it last week, but we had not done it at all for many weeks of this year. We did Day 1 and 2 together and Day 3 and 4 separately using 3 days per week of WWE. I have not decided yet what will happen when we do WWE3 next year.

For my kid in WWE1, we do it two days per week (on the days we don't do history, since there's narrations and copy work going on there too), combining day 1 with day 2 and day 3 with day 4.

For my kid in WWE2, we do 3 days per week, combining day 1 with day 2, but doing day 3 and day 4 separately, and I see the schedule changing again as we go through.  I prefer not to have him write a dictation of copy work he did in the same day... that'd just be too easy.

We do all of the lessons in order.  I do try to catch up if we miss a day by doing a lesson on a non-scheduled day so that the weekly plans are done each week.  When we've gotten too far behind or for whatever reason not caught up in the same week, I've just picked back up the next week and then stopped when the prior week's lessons were over so we could start fresh at the beginning of a lesson the week after that.

We do all the work in a separate notebook. Every day we do WWE3 I just write the date as in "w8d3" (week 8, day 3) in the margin beside the stuff we write.

So in other words I treat all those weeks and days as just lessons number. I'm not even sure if we ever do a weeks worth of lessons during a week. Trying to keep track of that would drive me bonkers. We had just taken off a few days of school for his birthday. After that we just started back wherever we left off and kept going.

Edited by Julie Smith
  • Like 1

We do all the work in a separate notebook. Every day we do WWE3 I just write the date as in "w8d3" (week 8, day 3) in the margin beside the stuff we write.

So in other words I treat all those weeks and days and just lessons number. I'm not even sure if we ever do a weeks worth of lessons during a week. Trying to keep track of that would drive me bonkers. We had just taken off a few days of school for his birthday. After that we just started back wherever we left off and kept going.

We do almost exactly this.  We don't school by the week for any subject.  Just do the lessons in series, picking up wherever we left off.  I treat each "week" as a four part chapter.  We also use a notebook for work, and label each lesson W.d (ie 4.2 for week 4 day 2).

• Like 1