Menu

Calling Dr. Hive: Abdominal pain after gastrointestinal illness in a child

Reflections

My 5yo ds had really bad diarrhea last week (started on Sunday lasted until Thursday).  There was mucous and there was bright red blood for a day (Monday into Tuesday) but it stopped.  There was never any fever.  He never stopped eating or drinking entirely.  At the height of it last week he ate very little one day but was drinking. His bm's have returned to normal for the last few days (Thursday night).  Since then he has complained everyday that his tummy hurts. This evening he is crying, fussing, walking around in circles, wanting ice packs, .... he just can't find peace.  

Is more going on?  Is it just gas?  I've given him a Tums and I'm waiting to see if it helps. 

I'm more worried tonight than I was 5 days ago.

No, there isn't a urgent care open after 6 around here.  I'd have to go to the ER.  

And, I didn't take him to the doctor because the "bad" diarrhea only lasted until Tuesday morning and then it was just frequent trips to the bathroom through Thursday where the poop was normal in color, normal in consistency and wasn't in very large quantities.  I could just hear the conversation with the Dr:  

Dr: So, he had diarrhea and now it's gone?

Me: Yes

Dr:  Any fever? How's his diet?

Me:  No fever and he's eating ... just a little less.  Plenty of drinking.

Dr:  How's he been acting?

Me:  Normal.  But he's complaining about a stomach ache here and there.

I didn't want to have that conversation.  Most doctors would tell me that it was left overs from the illness.  I was hoping he'd be over it by now.  He was fine most of today, it was only this evening that the pain kicked up to the point that he was crying.

Can he jump?

I think the blood would've warranted an office visit. That's unusual for a virus IME.

Yes, he can jump. I even thumped the bottom of his feet and it didn't phase him.

It wasn't until this evening that the pain got to be this bad.  

My 10yo did something similar at about the same age.  Middle of the night ER run.  It was never anything we could find to "fix".

And it could be something like a hemmeroid or irritation in his bowels from the illness, which is very common. A doctor could help rule out anything more serious and j think it's a really great idea to just be safe in this. You'd never forgive yourself if it ended up being something serious and was missed, you know?

I would take him to be seen since severe abdominal pain can be an emergency and consider avoiding milk products in the meantime. I developed temporary lactose intolerance after gastroenteritis for a few months afterwards which caused multiple bouts of pretty severe abdominal pain after eating/drinking milk products until I figured out there might be a connection. The gastroenterologist said that lactose intolerance can develop after gastroenteritis and recommended avoiding milk products for a while and then using lactaid. it finally did resolve.

• Like 1

I would take him to be seen since severe abdominal pain can be an emergency and consider avoiding milk products in the meantime. I developed temporary lactose intolerance after gastroenteritis for a few months afterwards which caused multiple bouts of pretty severe abdominal pain after eating/drinking milk products until I figured out there might be a connection. The gastroenterologist said that lactose intolerance can develop after gastroenteritis and recommended avoiding milk products for a while and then using lactaid. it finally did resolve.

I did take him in and they diagnosed colic.  

But I'm so very glad you said this.  I've been thinking that he might have developed a lactose intolerance because it seemed like every time he ate some cereal or had milk with dinner, he'd have more pain (or pain that he talked about anyway).  And he himself kept saying, I must've drank too much, that's why my tummy hurts.  

Well, I will make sure we take out all milk from his diet and watch.  I'll also see (google, call ped doc) if he can take some lactaid. They told me at the ER to try pepto and zantac, but I'd rather not keep him on zantac for long, my 10yo had some not fun side effects from it.

Again, thank you for sharing this.

This happens to a couple of us in my house. We have to avoid dairy for quite a bit, we usually start back with yogurt or something similar.

• Like 1

I'm glad he's been seen by a DR. I second the look at food intolerances. A dairy-free trial for a week or so, then testing it . . . seems easy enough to start with. I'd also load up on probiotics for at least a few weeks. I try to always do that when a GI illness or antibiotics have been in use. Speaking of which, I need to go take my antibiotic and another probiotic . . .

• Like 1

We've been through this, too, and ended up in the ER minus the blood. My dd was 5 when it first happened but she still gets this way after a stomach virus and she's 13. We just went through it again last week.

Once a doctor told us that lactose intolerance is common and rather well-known but fructose intolerance can also happen after a virus. So you may want to watch fructose if eliminating dairy doesn't eliminate the problem.

I have a friend whose daughter had much the same kind of thing (minus the blood) and it turned out the virus affected her ability to digest fats. It lasted quite awhile to resolve and only testing helped them figure it out.

• Like 1

We've been through this, too, and ended up in the ER minus the blood. My dd was 5 when it first happened but she still gets this way after a stomach virus and she's 13. We just went through it again last week.

Once a doctor told us that lactose intolerance is common and rather well-known but fructose intolerance can also happen after a virus. So you may want to watch fructose if eliminating dairy doesn't eliminate the problem.

I have a friend whose daughter had much the same kind of thing (minus the blood) and it turned out the virus affected her ability to digest fats. It lasted quite awhile to resolve and only testing helped them figure it out.

I'm so glad to hear you (and others) talk about this, as I've never heard of it, and no one in ER said anything about it.

Well, so far, between zantac, lactose free milk, almond milk, and no cheese or yogurt, he's been fine.  No pain at all.  And, poor guy, I had to buy him popsicles instead of sherbert for a treat - the all fruit kind - and so far these haven't been a problem.   

• Like 1